Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x
DrDuKeS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote

I'm using NukeSentinel(tm) 2.4.2 and I have this spambot who keeps registering on my site five times every day.

I have email activation enabled and it's still registering.

I tried to block it by IP, but when I go to the list of tracked usernames it doesn't list the spambots names and I have no idea which IP in the 'Tracked IPs' list are the bot.

It's registering with 'randomized' names every time so I can't disallow those (ie: psdkskjdh, zwkdifdjv, edhkajhc).

I've been adding the email addresses to the banned list (*@domain.com), but it seems it has an infinite number of domain names to register with.

Does anyone have anything else I could try? I have the registration set to Admin activation for now, but I don't want to keep it that way.

Crying or Very sad

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:50 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

Firstly upgrade Sentinel, not that it will help your spam problem, but you are leaving your site open to attack.

Secondly, turn on the captcha, this may help stop them registering.

When you say you have it set to admin activation, are you using the approve membership module, or CNBYA?

DrDuKeS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Sorry, but what's captcha? :/

Seems the settings I've changed for registration has had no effect. They're still registering like crazy, but they don't login and don't post anything so it doesn't track their IPs. I tried to set it to require an admin to approve new registrations in my forums module, but I don't think it actually does anything anymore.

I'm not sure what else to do. They're registering so much it's getting hard to keep up Sad

Dawg
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:14 pm Reply with quote

You can not 100% stop them....so the idea is to b too much of a pain for them to keep trying.

About 2 mos ago I was having the same problem. I started entering the domain they reged with in the string blocker. Now a days I get 1 or 2 every few days. I have it cut way back. I am happy at that level. I have a ton of their domains blocked. IT is too much a pain to keep tring them....so for the most part they have left me alone.

Dawg

DrDuKeS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:08 pm Reply with quote

When using the script blocker what do you seprate the domains by?

Do you do it like *car-loans-financial* ? Or do you have to put .com etc?

jakec

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 am Reply with quote

A captcha is the graphic security code, like you will have to use to login to this site.

It is turned on in the config.php file.

The problem you're experiencing seems to be similar to this post: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

You mentioned before about turning on approve membership, but you didn't say if you were using CNBYA, or AM?

Dawg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:23 am Reply with quote

I use the complete domain name they used to reg with.

cashXXXtte.com

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x

View next topic
View previous topic