Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
ozbutcher
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote

I've enabled the points system on my site... I've also setup all the required points and have tested it myself and with some users.

I only get points for submitting articles. No other action give me points.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Any ideas?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote

I am going to assume that you have added values in User Groups/Points for the various activities that can earn points?

ozbutcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote

yes I have assigned points to every activity. I have not created user groups yet though.

only submitting articles gives me points at this stage

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:29 am Reply with quote

Before I dive into this, can you confirm you were logged in as a normal user, not an admin?

ozbutcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote

confirmed 100%

my users have also left feedback that they were not earning any points even though having done some of the actions that should be giving them some.

please help if you can... we all think this point system is great if we can get it goin Smile
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

ozbutcher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:18 am Reply with quote

wait I think it may be working now

I created a group called 'test' just to rule out that this function doesnt 'require' a group before becoming active. but since I created the group it seems that all points are now being awarded. strange.

so it looks like its working now. Rolling Eyes

sorry for the trouble. now I just need to know what to do with the groups. its confusing... because there are so many groups with nuke & phpbb. Forums rank groups, nukephp groups and point groups.

How should I use the point groups?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:11 pm Reply with quote

To be honest I have never used the points system and I believe the majority of users are probably the same so I think you'll have to do some more trial and error in that respect.

I would certainly be interested if anyone is using nuke7.7+ to see if the points system is even still in the core nuke distro.

slick_303
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:07 am Reply with quote

What needs to happen is the PHP-Nuke 'groups' needs to be integrated with the 'rank' system in the bbtonuke. They are both doing basically the same thing. The nuke side is assigning 'points' for doing certain things, and then x amount of points puts a person into a group. phpBB is doing the same thing, but just simplifing it down to number of posts puts a person into a rank. Integrate the 2 together and come up with a complete ranking system. Then, when your done with that, integrate fully NSN groups, and the groups in bbtonuke, and make sure all modules, blocks, ect understand those groups. Why the author of PHP-Nuke decided to call a ranking system groups, and not build in an actual group system, is beyond me!

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote

Are you offering? Wink

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:47 am Reply with quote

From what I remember, the Groups system and Ranks are completely different things.
Ranks is part of the ported phpBB forums system and Groups is part of phpNuke, the permsissions you can assign to either are dependant on therefore on their parent system.

Whilst it would be possible to integrate the two (with a lot of work) you would then lose the indepence they both have and the whole thing would come grinding to a halt if for example the forums (which is essentially a phpNuke module) were removed and substituted for a different forum system.

slick_303

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:
From what I remember, the Groups system and Ranks are completely different things.
Ranks is part of the ported phpBB forums system and Groups is part of phpNuke, the permsissions you can assign to either are dependant on therefore on their parent system.

Whilst it would be possible to integrate the two (with a lot of work) you would then lose the indepence they both have and the whole thing would come grinding to a halt if for example the forums (which is essentially a phpNuke module) were removed and substituted for a different forum system.

What other forum module is there? Does anyone actually use anything other than phpbb? I'll go out on a limb, and say 98% of all php-nuke based sites are run with phpbb as its forums module. FB packages phpbb with php-nuke. One might as well consider bbtonuke as an integral part of nuke, and just build the two together better.....

But, of course at this point that would almost be a waste as time, as phpBB3 is sure to come out in the near future, and someone will hopefully port that into php-nuke.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 am Reply with quote

When phpNuke first came out it used the Splatt forum which was later replaced with the phpBB forum.
Sadly, the integration is not completely modular. For example, by removing the forum component, the Memberlist and Private Messages modules would stop working.

It will certainly be interesting to see if anyone takes the time and trouble to port phpBB3 which I think is now in Beta but to be honest, I think thats very unlikely given the development of other forums that have a much less checkered history with regard to vulnerabilities.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic