Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Public Testing of RavenNuke(tm) v2.10.00
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote

Quote:
(there are hundreds of wrong nested tables)

Indeed! However just to save someone else from going down the same wrong path I initially did, it's when you look at view source or validate say a home page that has news articles on it that you'll see the wrongly nested tables (and trs and tds) and a lot of them. But what you have to bear in mind is that these are generated from a couple of errors in themeindex in the theme and they just keep getting repeated for each article as the page is generated. Raven set an example for us in fisubice by using indents to show the table structure in the theme code and we've followed that example in 2.10 in a few other themes. It makes it a lot easier to follow the nesting but it's still by no means simple. Without getting too far into it one of the reasons is that themeheader usually leaves a table and row and td or two open that has to be closed in themefooter and a second reason is that various pieces of the application (say the message_box in mainfile or the news module) also interject their own tables so you can't just deal with the structure in the theme but you also have to take into account what the rest of the application does and if I make this sentence any more run on I'll get the Burzi award for writing. Smile

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote

Gremmie, would you mind contributing to the RavenNuke project what you have done to get rid of the "double head" issue? If you don't, please email the modified files to montego ((AT} } montegoscripts ........dot..... com. We were going to leave phpBB alone for now, but if the changes are small and already thoroughly tested... Wink

guidyy
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quote

I did it as well, but I'd be interested to compare with another solution.
Anyway:
Forum module stays untouched.
I merged theme's style.css, with forum template's forums.css. into style.css, then edited theme template's overall_header.tpl and removed the double header and the call to forums.css.
On simple_header.tpl, make the header load style.css instead of forums.css.
It's not hard job, just merging the 2 css files can be tricky because there are double definitions.

Talking about themes, I also made another custom mod that makes left and right blocks (if any) to load after the main content. Belive me, it gave me a boost on SEO.
check html on my site and see what I mean.

I can send you my sunset version, but not sure it's gonna work cause I also been messing up with core files...(no titles in blocks diffrent styles etc.)

Hope this help.
Ciao

montego

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:07 am Reply with quote

Quote:

It's not hard job, just merging the 2 css files can be tricky because there are double definitions.

Thanks Guidyy. But, I am hoping to not change much by way of the forum themes, styles, etc. because I don't want RN to break with other themes/styles.

Quote:

Talking about themes, I also made another custom mod that makes left and right blocks (if any) to load after the main content. Belive me, it gave me a boost on SEO.
check html on my site and see what I mean.

Yeah, I believe it. My dream is to some day re-code RN/nuke to remove ALL presentation code and make it completely CSS driven. That would make moving these "columns" around be a 'snap'.

----

For now, I want to try and stay away from major phpBB "surgery". If we cannot make this work with minimal updates to the core of phpBB/BBtoNuke, it'll have to wait for a future release.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote

We have/had to draw a line in the sand or this will never get released. We will leave phpbb alone. After RN v2.10 is released, we will take a well deserved break. The next "planned" step is ... well, I don't want to reveal everything Wink

guidyy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote

Well, the good thing with my theme mod approach , is that it doesnt touch the forum module and it's not necessary to edit any core file if you do not want to..
you touch the forum template specific for that theme.
I can still use original fisubice or any other theme and nothing break (apart it doesnt validate).
I'm just waiting RN2.10 and see how my theme work. If it's all ok I may create one for public release that will not touch any core or module file.

fkelly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote

It's slightly off topic but one thing I did when I was working on style "rationalization" was download all the theme style files into a spreadsheet. Then I could sort them by style name and see the duplicates as well as the differences between the themes for each style. I even went so far as to construct a single "master" style file and then remove the duplicated styles from the individual css files. I loaded the master style file in header .php and then each individual theme just loaded the "differences". I had this working in a test system last Summer before I got totally sucked into working on RN2.10. Smile

On a related subject I believe 64bit and some others have a thread here somewhere with considerable detail about Forums and style file rationalization. When 2.10 is out I'd suggest we all read back thru that and maybe enlist their support in figuring out what to do about the css issues.

Anyway the spreadsheets are available as a free download (rofl) over at my RN test site at fkelly.org.

hinksta
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:00 am Reply with quote

64bit has a great css mod, just tried it and I really noticed the difference in page load times
http://www.ravenphpscripts.com/postt11738.html?postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=-theme+css&start=25

guidyy, this left block custom mod sounds interesting, could you tell me more?

lol, i'm pretty sure my forums didn't have a page rank before doing this and now it has page rank 2 which I guess is good going for a forum with only 3 post's

guidyy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote

Hinksta, we are going offtopic.
I sent you a PM

zerokooll
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote

day and night still holding on for that release!! Very Happy any news on dat? i saw raven said..

Quote:

We have/had to draw a line in the sand or this will never get released. We will leave phpbb alone. After RN v2.10 is released, we will take a well deserved break. The next "planned" step is ... well, I don't want to reveal everything

Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:12 pm Reply with quote

I really hate to put a date on it because if/when/then we miss it, we've let you all down ... again. The most reliable answer I an give, and it is for real, is that it will be sooner than later. We have 3 or 4 issues left to resolve before we release it. Actually we have resolved them all, but in doing so, more issues have been raised. But, I believe we are on the downside Smile, meaning, I don't think any big issues are left. We need to put the finishing touches on those items, run it through a full test, package it and release it. We are no longer enhancing anything.

It really is vital to the release that you all hammer away at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] . We'd rather catch the issues now than have to fix them later.

Dawg
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:16 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
I really hate to put a date on it because if/when/then we miss it, we've let you all down ... again. The most reliable answer I an give, and it is for real, is that it will be sooner than later. We have 3 or 4 issues left to resolve before we release it. Actually we have resolved them all, but in doing so, more issues have been raised. But, I believe we are on the downside Smile, meaning, I don't think any big issues are left. We need to put the finishing touches on those items, run it through a full test, package it and release it. We are no longer enhancing anything.

It really is vital to the release that you all hammer away at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] . We'd rather catch the issues now than have to fix them later.

SURE YOU ARE.....Tell the truth Raven.....You are just stringing us along like a bunch of Codeheads....I mean Crackheads!

Dawg

Raven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:02 pm Reply with quote

Ok, have it your way :moon: killing me

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote

montego wrote:
Gremmie, would you mind contributing to the RavenNuke project what you have done to get rid of the "double head" issue? If you don't, please email the modified files to montego ((AT} } montegoscripts ........dot..... com. We were going to leave phpBB alone for now, but if the changes are small and already thoroughly tested... Wink

Wow, I'm sorry, I totally missed this post. Embarassed

If you guys still want this info, I'll go look in my subversion logs to see exactly what I did. I fixed it myself. Later, I had a discussion about this issue with 64-bit guy here in a previous thread. I ended up going farther and doing what he was suggesting, although that may be a bit more radical than what you want to do for now (giving each module it's own CSS file). In any event let me know and I'll go find that thread and my notes.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote

My first pass at the double head problem was (from my memory) exactly what guidyy outlined, above.

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
My first pass at the double head problem was (from my memory) exactly what guidyy outlined, above.

Ok. You guys are the greatest! I have saved this thread for later puruesing... (sp?)

Gremmie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:29 pm Reply with quote

montego,

Here is the thread I was talking about with 64-bitguy's solution (and further discussion into the details of the problem).
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

guidyy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:47 am Reply with quote

64bitguy's approach is correct, but you need to edit core files amd modules files.
I know lot of people are not happy about it.
To have a smaller CSS file after the two are merged, just share styles (e.g. use same style for blocks title and forums headers and same textarea, input, a:links etc.)
this will save you some kilobytes.

zerokooll

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:14 am Reply with quote

Dawg wrote:
Raven wrote:

SURE YOU ARE.....Tell the truth Raven.....You are just stringing us along like a bunch of Codeheads....I mean Crackheads!

Dawg

YOU are the Crackhead ¬¬ mofo... pendejo de mierda so why dont you go try do the work this guys have done ¬¬.... anyway gud day y'all! Very Happy

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:01 am Reply with quote

zerokooll,

Thanks for rising to our defense, but I think you have misunderstood Dawg's comment. Dawg was not criticizing us nor knocking us. His comment was meant "tongue in cheek", not literally.

Last edited by Raven on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total 
Dawg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote

zerokooll,

It's all good...Raven took it the way it was meant.....

but just for the record....

I am a "Fishhead" in Season..."Code head" off season and a "CrackedHead" every season.

Don't do the drugs thing....they make me pee in the jar too much for all that....

Smile

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote

guidyy wrote:
64bitguy's approach is correct, but you need to edit core files amd modules files.
I know lot of people are not happy about it.
To have a smaller CSS file after the two are merged, just share styles (e.g. use same style for blocks title and forums headers and same textarea, input, a:links etc.)
this will save you some kilobytes.

Yeah I would just do what guidyy and I did. With browsers caching style sheets I don't think big style sheets are a problem in reality. It beats downloading style info on every page load.

zerokooll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:28 am Reply with quote

s**t!... see this is what happens when English aint your first language Sad... Dawg sorry about that man :$...

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:15 am Reply with quote

About fixing the double head problem again. It was easy for me because on my site, I only have one theme (to keep my sanity). I took the head tag out of overall_header.tpl and moved the CSS from that file to my theme's style.css. For simple_header.tpl, I took the CSS out of there and added a link tag to point back at my 1 theme's style.css file.

Now RavenNuke comes with a lot of themes, right? So in simple_header.tpl which CSS file should it link back to? Or maybe should we leave the CSS in there, because I think simple_header.tpl is mostly used in pop-ups and iframes...(I'm not totally sure about that). Maybe we should create a subSilver.css file and put the CSS from overall_header.tpl and simple_header.tpl in there. simple_header.tpl could link to it. I dunno, I am just throwing stuff out.

I just started thinking about RavenNuke and all the themes it has and it occurred to me it would be slightly harder to fix for it.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:16 am Reply with quote

subSilver is the default for all themes that do not have a forum folder of their own, so that would be the logical place. There are only a couple of default themes (themes that ship with RavenNuke(tm) ) that have their own forums so it seems that it wouldn't be too hard ....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Public Testing of RavenNuke(tm) v2.10.00

View next topic
View previous topic