Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
Bluezzz
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:01 am Reply with quote

k well I've done both, thanks! But back to the ?

How do I block email domains (like *@mail.ru or *@cashette.com) for the entire site for RN 2.02.02, which came with phpBB 2.0.20!?

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote

CNB YA will allow you to block email domains, or I think it will work if you add them to Sentinels string blocker.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:16 pm Reply with quote

I don't see anything in my NS that says String Blocker ... where do I find that?

Also, I've d/l CNB YA 750_442, will that one work with RN76? Or do I need another? 750 indicates to me that it's for 7.5 and I have RN7.6.

I've also d/l Approve Membership 6.1.6-7.6, which I assume is for 7.6 but not sure it will work well with RN76.

Has anyone installed either of these for RN76 2.02.02 and if so which do you advize?

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote

Go into the NukeSentinel admin area. Click on blocker configuration. Then there is a link for string blocker.

jakec

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote

Yeah I think that is the right file for CNB YA. I have it installed on one of my sites and it appears to work fine, but I know others have experienced problems.

AM should work fine on RN, although I haven't got it on any of my sites. At the end of the day RN is really just 7.6 at the heart, but better!

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote

I now see in the Membership section of the UserInfo block ... two *waiting* members. How can I tell who those are and delete them if I want to? Is there some way to see their info? Will they auto poof after a few days if they don't confirm in email? I'd like the option to give them the boot myself if need be but I don't see any way to do that as *waiting* has no link or anything.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:52 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
Go into the NukeSentinel admin area. Click on blocker configuration. Then there is a link for string blocker.

Ya, I see it now, but no clue how to use it to block specific email addresses at join : o/

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Well you just put in strings that you want blocked...like cashette.com or whatever email they are using.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote

OK now I have nine waiting, I assume those have not actually confirmed in email. How can I tell, in waiting members:

1) Who they are?
2) If they are legit and need help or not?
3) How to delete them out of *waiting* status if they are not legit?

I don't want waiting members to grow if they aren't legit people wanting to join the site! Help please???

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:44 pm Reply with quote

Buezzz if you could restrict your self to one uestion per topic, people might find it easier to help you. Your last post was about CBNYA (which has its own forum) and the previous post was about Sentinel (which also has its own forum).
People who do actually use the forums search facility might miss answers if they are searching in the appropriate forum and the anser is posted elsewhere Wink

I beleive CBNYA has the facility to accept or decline registraions depending on the settings you have chosen. If I remember correctly, it is possible (depending on your settings) that all new registrations have to be approved by you before their email confirmation is sent to them.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote

It's all about spam actually, as the topic indicates. I have answers about CBNYA & MA, but I'd rather not install it if there's another way to find out who the waiting are and if they're legit or not, if not how can I get rid of them.

The system is suppose to dump anyone that hasn't confirmed within 24 hours but that doesn't seem to be happening. This is all the same subject. Still talking about spammers, but now instead of deleting their problemsome memberships, I find myself having *waiting* members that are just building and building.

If waiting is suppose to expire it's not that I can tell. How do I resolve this? I can start a new post for this question if you prefer.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quote

Wait, what account module are you using? The default Your_Account module does drop people from the users_temp table after something like 24 or 48 hours.

(Well actually I don't know if it is Your_Account, but something in plain old PHP-Nuke does it).

There is no way in general to know if a waiting user is legit or not, unless you spot a trend in spam email accounts.

I use phpMyAdmin to delete pending users out of the users_temp table if they are suspicious.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 pm Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply Gremmie. Where I'm seeing the buildup of Waiting links is in my RN76 2.02.02 in the UserInfo that came with that, at least I think that's what I'm using LOL. It shows how many members, how many waiting, how many page hits, etc.

I'm not sure what good that particular feature is if you can't access it directly to *see* who they are and have the ability to delete them. I guess it does help to see it's building up but it doesn't seem to be diminishing as it should be. It's gone steadily up over the last few days from two in one day to nine several days later. I'm pretty sure, although not positive, that these are more spam.

It's a shame we can't access & edit or delete waiting members directly from Raven's Admin Module!

Would you be so kind as to tell me how to delete them from phpMyAdmin? I'm not really accustomed to workin in that area.

Thanks again for your reply : o}

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:15 am Reply with quote

CNBYA ofers that functionality but standard nuke and Raven Nuke does not.
In the soon to be released Raven Nuke 2.10 there is a feature that does allow you to view who is in the pending user table but as Gremmie mentioned, there is no way for any script to know how is a legitimate user and who is not.

In standard nuke and Raven Nuke, 'pending' or waiting users will automatically be deleted from the waiting user list after 24 hours.

To remove them manually you will have to use phpmyadmin, navigate to the very last table and remove the rows from that table.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote

I appreciate the info, thanks. I'm still not sure how to tell which rows to remove though. Since I need access to be able to view people's email addresses, etc, in order to tell if they're spammers Surprised/ More importantly I don't want to drop people that aren't spammers but that are not aware that they need to confirm to join ... this is the very reason I took that off to start with. Many people are aware of how to join a forum or php site but many are not. It's a shame to loose that info for those that truly want to join. If I were able to see their email and IP then I could determine if they were spammers or legit and be able to contact them if they're legit and tell them how to proceed. My RN is not deleting those waiting, it's been several days and there are nine in waiting. I suppose I'll have to bother with installing CNBYA or MA ... these might be a breeze to some of you but it's not for me.

Thanks for all your help folks, much appreciated.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote

.. then something is wrong. Users who do not click the link in the email which is sent to them to activate their accounts should automatically be removed from the waiting user table.
If you use phpmyadmin and go to the table you can see the username / email address etc (but not the IP as it is not logged anywhere).

Have you used phpmyadmin to view the table? Dies the number of waiting users agree with the number that the nuke BLOCK is telling you which are 'watiting' - I am just trying to get a feel for what might be wrong or whether you are getting bogus registrations.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I have not yet attempted to get into the phpMyAdmin thing yet. I really am not overly familiar with using that feature.

And then every time I make a change to the site seems something screws up and I have to investigate, investigate, investigate until I get it resolved ... admittedly it's alot of work for me but I can't afford to hire someone LOL. I'm learning slow but sure, and I'm no dummy, I just hate the problems that occur every time something needs to be changed or fixed. So I hesitate when it comes to installing complicated modules, etc. CNBYA is rather complicated to me. I know this is normal for PHP it's just tiring and depressing for those of us that aren't overly savy at it.

I also try to avoid anything that isn't simple but I know from experience that it will cause further issues. I have yet to resolve the login problem I posted about some time ago ... when I tried to fix that before I got errors and had to change it back to what I had.

What I'm doing is collecting info about all these *problems* and when I have the heart and time to tackle them I'll have at em. Of course the easy stuff is done and complete, and I thank you all for your help over the months. But, for the record, I have not gotten into phpMyAdmin and compared. I'll look into that and get back to you ... too late now tho, it's 2:30am for me.

It may just be that I might d/l and install 2.10 ... but again I fear problems and resolution searches, so much time to get things just right. I'm not a php buff like many of you guys are. Live and learn for me and since I don't often repeat a fix I forget it, even if I've written or texted it somewhere I can't find the dang file. Such is life Surprised/

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 am Reply with quote

Well, we all started somewhere and for many (including me) it was in exactly the same position as you, so I hope that gives you some encouragement.
The single most important thing is to read the instructions, then read them again, then when you think you understand them, read it all over again.

When I'm making modifications to a file I always put a comment in the file and leave the original code intact but commented out so I can see where the diference is (as well as documenting the changes elsewhere.

I also rename existing files before uploading a modifies one so that in the event it goes wrong I can quickly revert back without having to resort to using a back up.
What I usually do is is add a '-' to the beginning of the original file so for example if I have to edit a file called index.php I rename it on the server as -index.php before uploading the new one.
If everything works as planned after a lot of testing I then remove the renamed file.

Bluezzz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote

I do rename files so that the originals are in tact. I did not think to add comments to mods or blocks etc although I have added them to themes so that it's documented what I may have done to change it and why. Thanks for that tip. Usually I put my comments in a text file *somewhere* of which I can never find it later LOL *hates that!*

Because of my recent admin situation, I might just go ahead and install 2.10 although I'm not really sure how to do that or how that will affect the site. So much insecurity for me, it's not a good feeling. I do read the instructions, but often I don't understand them no matter how many times I read them ... mostly because it's like trying to read Greek when my native language is English. Most of it I can get after a gazillion searches online to find others that can't read Greek either LOL. Most of the help files are written by people that are fluent in PHP/Greek so they know what they're talking about. I've done pretty good I suppose, I do have a haunting security issue to fix but I'm procrastinating LOL ... fear factor has kicked in, and the resolutions seem rather complicated to me ... as is the CNBYA/MA thing.

I guess I'll wait until I'm forced to make the changes, that'll be inspiration I guess ... I backup frequently LOL Thanks for the encouragement : o}

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic