Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...
Nash
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Given that there are many different CMS software, Commerce software, and forum software out there, and that within each of those categories there are best of breed applications, it would be great if there were a way to implement single sign on functionality.

My site, for example, http://www.eastcoastbodyboarding.com, utilizes php-nuke (raven's 7.2), OS Commerce, and IP Forum (not claiming these are BoB, but that's what I've used). While I have made attempts and tweaked my code to get single sign-on to work, I was wondering if anyone had explored this in more detail, or if there were any collectives working on this.

I don't know much about the theories behind single sign-on - I am probably not doing it in the most efficient way. For instance, do you have multiple user db's that are synch-ed, or just one? How do you sign people in to the other components?

I just injected some code into the log-in functions that enable the log-in cookies (I think - haven't looked at these in over a year probably) for the other pieces. This sometimes doesn't work properly, and it's a pain when I upgrade to new versions, because the code isn't standard.

Are there standard single sign-on schema out there of which people are fond? What's the best way to do this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

--- IPB forum installed and modded for Nuke 
montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:35 pm Reply with quote

I do not know of any specific "bodies" working such a thing. There have been a few news articles posted from time-to-time talking about hooking up to LDAP, but I don't recall ever seeing anything on SSO.

Can't tell you which is best. I am sure each approach will have its pros and cons across many different "attributes", such as "security".

Good luck in your quest.

Nash

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:17 am Reply with quote

thanks montego - in the meantime I'm trying to learn how the nuke sign-on code works. trying to understand sessions etc.

montego

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote

If you make headway, definitely post back here. I know of a few others who have posted recently about just such a thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Seeking applications ...

View next topic
View previous topic