Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
emmaphp
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:54 pm Reply with quote

I am not too clued up 100% on this subject, however I want to begin a regular podcast on my website. The easy part for me was to record the programme and put a link to the .mp3 file on my website. The difficult part is proving to be making the file available as a 'subscribable podcast'. I understand that to do this I should make my website available as a feed using XML and so my next step was to check my websites backend.php file.

This backend.php file appears not to be working and I wonder if someone can tell me what I am doing wrong or should do.

When I click on [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] I do see all the XML data and this appears to be a list of all the most recent news articles available on my website.

However, if you try to use any of the links shown, they do not work. One example is [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and if I try to view this I just receive the error '404 - Page Not Found'.

I did check the backend.php here at the Raven website and see that when this file is viewed (from the URL [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] I am presented with an identical layout to that shown on my website. The difference here though, is that if you try to use any of the links shown, (e.g. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] the link DOES actually work.

An additional point I then realized is that when viewed in the 'regular' way from the website links, the URL's to the articles on the Raven website end in '.html', akin to the URL's displayed in the backend.php XML page.

I think this is linked to the problems I am having, because although the backend.php file on my website displays my website articles as URL's ending in .html, (e.g. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] ....and they do not work when clicked), when viewed in the 'regular' way from the website links, the URL's to the articles on my own website do not have a .html suffix, but instead end with a kind of php suffix, (e.g. something like [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Can anyone please advise about all this and particularly explain why my news article have different URL's to those on this website and confirm if my suspicions that the cause of this is the reason for my backend.php file not working?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:00 pm Reply with quote

It appears that you're using a short URL version of backend.php - is a short URL / URL rewriting tool like GoogleTap, GT NextGen, or TegoNuke(tm) ShortURLs installed on your site?

emmaphp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just using the 'standard Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro'.

I am not sure what you mean though, because this does not explain why my URL's for news articles are something like:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

But such articles on the Raven site have URL's that appear to have suffix's with .html like:

I am at a loss with trying to understand such a difference.

EVen the URL's of modules on the Raven website appear to be ending with .html, such as [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

The URL for the forums module of MY website is:

All very strange, but all that said, my main concern/frustration/issue is that my backend.php not working and the URL's in this file being 'invalid', ultimately giving me a '404 Page Cannot Be Displayed' error page.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote

There is an optional feature called TegoNuke(tm) ShortURLs installed in RavenNuke. This supports the types of URLs you mention, and it does so by rewriting the long URLs into short URLs with .html extensions.

There are 2 backend.php files - one that supports standard (long) URLs and one that supports short URLs. It appears that the short URL version (which has to be renamed), is installed on your site without having the corresponding short URLs in place.

You can either install the full short URL feature (so your site will have short URLs like Raven's) or rename the backend.php file and install the regular backend.php file in its place (it should be in your download extract).

emmaphp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
There is an optional feature called TegoNuke(tm) ShortURLs installed in RavenNuke.

Where do I find this option? is it in my admin panel?

Quote:
There are 2 backend.php files - one that supports standard (long) URLs and one that supports short URLs.

I only see one file called backend.php in my website. It is located in the root directory. Where is the second file located?

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Check the installation instructions for both. In the download extract, there is a directory called ShortLinks in the html directory. This directory contains a replacement backend.php file called GT-backend.php. I think that file somehow got moved to your root directory. If you get the backend.php file from the html directory of your RavenNuke download extract, that should solve the problem.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote

Sorry - I just did some checking, and my previous suggestion was incorrect.

The backend.php checks for a variable definition, but not the same variable that controls the use of TegoNuke. I'll notify Montego, the author of TegoNuke and a lead developer for RavenNuke, about this.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote

After all that kguske, I am now completely lost!

All I know is that I have not made any modifications to my original Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro installation and everything has been working just perfectly.

However, as explained in my original posting on this thread, now I have come to use the backend.php file but it appears to not work, as described in detail and compared to the one here, (on the raven website).

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote

Sorry that I have been away for so long. The HOlidays and then trying to put the finishing touches on XHTML compliance within the upcoming RN release.

2.02.02 does not contain ShortLinks. That is coming in 2.10. Please see this sticky:

The backend.php script in 2.02.02 has a bug in it.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic