Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
corporalstorm
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote

Ok.. I've been messing around with nuke for a couple days. In regards to "users" and "admins". I'm assuming that admin accounts are solely for the use of modifying the content and such? I have noticed there is no real ability for "users" to send messages to "admin" accounts. Am I correct? What i'm trying to do is make the admin's the "Guild Officers" from our WOW Guild. But if there is no ability to give them control for say "Content" module with the ability to be known as a user and have the ability to private message folks then I see no other choice but ot limit "Admin" accounts to just the folks who will modify content on the site and let the Guild Officers handle moderating the Forums and such.

If this is the case how could I go about modifying my block script I created? I used it to simply fetch and display all "Authors" in a block. As that was going to be the Guild Officers. Is there a way that I can set something up in the Edit User screen on Admin that I can add a checkmark if they are a Guild Officer and have it write it to their user table so that my block will instead pull their information on if they are a Guild Officer from the _users table?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Users can send messages to admins in several ways - via private messages or public messages in the forums or via feedback. Normally admin users have the ability to maintain and / or approve various types of content. Forum moderators need not be admin users.

There are addons that allow you to define and recognize "staff" for purposes of communication. These are usually linked to site users (as opposed to admin users).

corporalstorm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:17 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Users can send messages to admins in several ways - via private messages or public messages in the forums or via feedback. Normally admin users have the ability to maintain and / or approve various types of content. Forum moderators need not be admin users.

There are addons that allow you to define and recognize "staff" for purposes of communication. These are usually linked to site users (as opposed to admin users).

Whenever I click on "private messages" module it shows me the Pm window for the Forum. If i'm not mistaken I dont recall making an admin account for forum. Unless its an auto process when I create admin accounts.

Like I said. Right now I have admins deemed Guild officers. Depending on the level Officer they are will determine what access they have. For the most part a majority of them will be allowed Content access to post content. Forum access will not be allowed seeing as that lets them alter the entire forum. But if admin's are create typical forum accounts then I could assign them as moderators without giving them full access to modifying the Forum through the Control Panel. Right?

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:20 pm Reply with quote

The forums themselves run on the user accounts. A user will need permissions as administrator through the forums

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
kguske

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote

You can create Authors (additional admin users) with the ability to edit Content module pages. As evaders mentioned, this is not the same as having a site user who can moderate the forums.

corporalstorm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:49 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
You can create Authors (additional admin users) with the ability to edit Content module pages. As evaders mentioned, this is not the same as having a site user who can moderate the forums.

Ok.. Then I need to hit the drawing board again.. Tell me if this can be done...

Im going to limit "Authors" to just myself (considering I put all this together), and the two Guild Masters (who created the WOW Guild).. Or I could create one account for them (as they are husband and wife) and they can use it to add content if needed or edit user accounts.

Then.. How bout this? I'm assumign if I edit the php file for the "Edit Users" page where I can change thier information. If I added a section with a checkmark that says "Guild Officer". and then had it write to the user table, add another column called goff and put a 1 there. Then I could simply re-write my block to pull all users with 1 in goff and write to the block as the Guild Officers. What I created was a block that simply says "Guild Officers" and lists all our GO's we have in the guild.

I would like it to be set so that you could send them a private msg. Which I assume could possibly be done.. But as of right now I want to keep it one step at a time till I figure it out.

So, break down..

1. Rewrite edit users php file to include a section with checkmark that states "Guild Officer?" and then writes to a new column named goff with either 0 or 1. (Dang.. would that mean I would have to edit the register user page to add an automatic 0 to that column for every user that registers until i or the GM logs on to change it?)

2. Rewrite block file to fetch correct information

3. Enable a PM link that will transmit them to the Send PM page with the user in the "To" box that they selected.

Thats my ideas.. Dont know if it possible. I'm a rookie at this but im learnin more and more every 10 mins. This GO block was my first code at pulling information from the SQL database. So i'm impressed.

evaders99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:34 am Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the final result you want is.
People can have a user and an admin account - even with the same name. While it may be confusing to have two logins, this is by design.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic