Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.5.x
Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:18 am Reply with quote

Maybe Sentinel could make an exception if the link is exactly of the form:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

when the user is an admin? I dunno, just throwing things out on the table.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:31 am Reply with quote

Thats a VERY good point, I had not even thought about the referer showing the admin page address.
I'll have to check that by linking between two of my sites when I get the time.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote

Here's a quick fix. The one on my actual site is a little different, so this is sorta untested. (I've hacked it to show the same referrals grouped together, with a group count for easier display)

Code:

in admin/modules/referers.php

FIND

index.php?url=$url

REPLACE WITH

index.php?url=$rid

in index.php

FIND

if (isset($url) AND is_admin($admin)) {
   Header("Location: $url");
   die();
}

REPLACE WITH

$url = intval($url);
   $sql = "SELECT url FROM ".$prefix."_referer WHERE rid='$url'";
   $result = $db->sql_query($sql);
   list($url) = $db->sql_fetchrow($result);   
   die();
}

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Gremmie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:46 pm Reply with quote

Evaders, I haven't tried this out, but it sure looks promising. I think in practice you would have to pass another variable to tell index.php which database to use. In other words, you gotta tell it where the link is...in the pending web links table, the referers table, etc. And then index.php would do a switch on the link type and do something similar to what you have above for each type of link.

BobMarion
Former Admin in Good Standing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
I didn't say I was going to remove anything in Sentinel.

In my version of PHP-Nuke, 7.9 w/Chatservs patches, there are lots of places in the admin functions where external links get generated in the form:

When I look in index.php I see this:

Code:

die();
}

FB or whoever had a reason why external links in admin areas got generated like that....does anyone know the rationale?

Clearly I would rather have Sentinels XSS protection, but it will mean changing a lot of code in my PHP-Nuke...or just not clicking on those links in the admin areas.

Open includes/nukesentinel.php and find(about line 288):
Code:
  // Check for XSS attack

if($op != "hreferer") {

Change the if line to the following:
Code:
 if($op != "hreferer" OR (!stristr($nsnst_const['query_string'], "index.php?url=") AND !is_admin($_COOKIE['admin']))) {

Report back if this takes care of your issue so I'll know if it works for 2.5.03 .

BobMarion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote

Gremmie wrote:
I didn't say I was going to remove anything in Sentinel.

In my version of PHP-Nuke, 7.9 w/Chatservs patches, there are lots of places in the admin functions where external links get generated in the form:

When I look in index.php I see this:

Code:

die();
}

FB or whoever had a reason why external links in admin areas got generated like that....does anyone know the rationale?

Clearly I would rather have Sentinels XSS protection, but it will mean changing a lot of code in my PHP-Nuke...or just not clicking on those links in the admin areas.

By the way:
Code:

die();
}

in index.php is a cheap way of getting another hit on your site from the admin clicking the links. Sounds just like something mr. burzi would do to bloat his own site hits count Wink It came about in version 7.2 for trivia buffs Smile

evaders99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote

No, there was a very good reason. It was a deliberate way not to have the referral passes through your admin page.

BobMarion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:21 pm Reply with quote

My question is why have it pass thru anything? Know what I mean? Why have it generate a hit when the admin is checking links. Anyway, neither here nor there where NS is concerned. Main thing if the patch prevents a blocked page from appearing to an admin.

evaders99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:26 am Reply with quote

At least with my fix, it doesn't pass the entire URL into the querystring. Smile

What I'm saying is, if it is a directly link to a 3rd party site, that referral could appear that it is coming from your page
admin.php?op=hreferer

If you're renamed the admin page, you don't want them to know what your admin panel is. 3rd party will only see index.php in their referrals by the hack FB did

BobMarion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote

evaders99 wrote:
At least with my fix, it doesn't pass the entire URL into the querystring. Smile

What I'm saying is, if it is a directly link to a 3rd party site, that referral could appear that it is coming from your page
admin.php?op=hreferer

If you're renamed the admin page, you don't want them to know what your admin panel is. 3rd party will only see index.php in their referrals by the hack FB did

I'm not being a pain here but:
As of 7.2 Downloads, Web Links and Stories pass links thru the index.php file as index.php?$url .
As of 7.6 the referers.php admin file passes the url thru the index.php file as index.php?$url .

This is new not a change from passing it thru the admin file. Links where never passed thru anything until the above took place. It does hide the referering url in your case but why not have a file named pass.php with nothing but:
Code:
if (isset($url)) {

die();
}
in it instead of opening you index.php file to possible sql injection? To me this makes a lot more sense then anything else. It wouldn't call mainfile.php, it would generate the sql queries that mainfile does, and it could not do any harm to your site at all. Do you see the point I'm making. Worsest case someone would see a blank page Smile

Gremmie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote

BobMarion wrote:

Report back if this takes care of your issue so I'll know if it works for 2.5.03 .

Hi Bob,

I still got blocked when visiting a newly submitted link in the admin area. Thanks.

BobMarion

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote

I've shortened it a little bit so maybe it will work for you now. Change it to:
Code:
if(!stristr($nsnst_const['query_string'], "index.php?url=") AND !is_admin($_COOKIE['admin'])) {
This works perfectly for me on my test sites (I have 11 versions of nuke to test with Smile)

Gremmie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote

That works for me. Thanks!

evaders99

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:22 pm Reply with quote

I agree, it shouldn't be passing the full URL in the first place.

But it should do an is_admin() check to stop anyone from using your site as a redirector.
If anyone could place a pass.php?url=http:// term in there, it could be used by spammers and others

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.5.x

View next topic
View previous topic