Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
emmaphp
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:18 am Reply with quote

I have a website running on the 'standard' php nuke 7.6 and (I am almost certain) it is patched with patch 3.1.

I want to upgrade the site to run using RavenNuke76

Over time I have tried to load certain blocks or modules and they have not installed successfully, the most recent being 'nucalendar'.

Often, when an 'addon' has not worked and installation has failed, if the rest of the site had not been affected and continued to operate without problems, the files associated with the new 'addon' have just been left and so too have any tables in the MySQL database. This is specifically because at the time I was new to all this technology and I had not known how to delete the newly installed tables etc.

So the problem I think I now have is transfering all the information from the current (old) database to the new database that would be created with a new RavenNuke76 installation.

Although I am not a whizz at all this, my head is saying to me that if I simply delete the current 'standard' php nuke 7.6 installation and replace all files with a new and fresh RavenNuke76, there will be numerious tables in the current (old) database that will not be relivant with the new database I create with the RavenNuke76 instalation.

More precisely, logic suggest to me that I will have two problems:

1. I will have tables that are not required because they were left on the dastabase after an add on failed to install correctly, (as I explained above).

2. There will be tables not present in the new RavenNuke76 instalation that are going to be required, (eg such as if I have added additional fileds for users to complete when registering a new user account).

Further more, I am using PHPMyAdmin to administer my MySQL database, so I am thining that one way to import the current (old) database data and information to the new one created with a new RavenNuke76 installation would be to do the following:

1. Compare the current (old) database with a new one I create.

2. Delete any tables in the current (old) database that were left from one of the aforementioned failed add on installations I have carried out in the past and that do not appear to be present in the new RavenNuke76 installation database.

3. Add any tables in the current (old) database that have been created and are required to the new RavenNuke76 installation database.

4. Import all the data to the tables in the new RavenNuke76 installation database.

Please would one of you wonderful techy guys or gals out there confirm if my thinking is all or partly correct.

If I am not correct, please would someone direct me to the correct information about all this or advise what I should do.

Thanks.

Rolling Eyes

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote

You are about right with the tables.
You will need to also compare the structure of the table to ensure any modules you have added previously have not modified the number of fields in any core nuke tables.

fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Your logic is very good and that's a good start.

Take a look at this thread

http://www.ravenphpscripts.com/forumssearch-search_id-newposts.html

I prepared a checklist in there as I prepared to upgrade from Nuke 76 to RN last Spring. Every situation is different but I followed a lot of the logical steps you outlined in your post.

I don't know which addons you use and how much data they may have accumulated. It all depends but if there is a way to reinstall the addon after you have RN running that would be cleanest. That way you could get rid of old tables. For instance, I have a weather module running that gets data from external sources. So I could get rid of it easily and check for the latest version of the module before reinstalling. On the other hand I have an Event Calendar (Sweetphp's) running that has a lot of data we've put in and I really couldn't just delete the tables. But if you run a file comparison step against the dumped tables (as per the link I've given you) you'll know exactly which tables come with RN and which ones are either superfluous or come from addons and you'll be able to work precisely to take care of the situation.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic