Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NSN Groups
jazzfuser
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:36 pm Reply with quote

I am not using the Raven dist, but I have an established 7.6+3.0 site installed. I just added NSN Groups, and everything appears to be working...except: when I try to add an admin message my admin screen goes blank with no error message or anything! Just blank.

I have tried to add something as simple as "test" in the title, and "test" in the body, and left everything else as default i.e.; Expiration = 1 Day, Active = Yes, Who can view = All Users (though I would like this message to be registered only). I press Add Message and *poof* goes my admin screen and the message goes off into the abyss never to be found. However, an existing message, applied before editing the core files, is still active and appears to be retained. I can even edit it and save it. The changes are saved and the message posts, and the admin screen behaves normally. *pulls hair and bangs head on desk*

Where should I start, or is there a solution already posted that I missed?

Thanks!

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:43 am Reply with quote

Make sure the nuke_messages table has the 'groups' field (most likely not the problem). I have a feeling that the edits you made to admin/modules/messages.php for NSN Groups has a parse error in it.

Like kguske always says "turn on error reporting and then try access this script directly from your browser". Usually this will turn up the line numbers of where the parse error is occurring at.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote

okay, thanks.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:49 pm Reply with quote

I must have missed something, I changed "display_errors" to "true", tried to add a message, and still got the blank page. Should I have seen something? (this is my first time displaying errors).

I am guessing there is a specific way to access the script directly, but I think I might need a "script running for the stupid" lesson...if you have the time and interest.

thanks again

montego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Something more like this is what I had in mind:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

If there is a parse problem it should show you the error and line number. If no parse errors, it should display "Access Denied".

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me.

I guess I have no parse errors, I received this;

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /admin/modules/messages.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Is there anything else I can try?

montego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote

You should be getting the "Access Denied" message, not the one you posted.

You must have a .htaccess file in this folder that has a "deny from all" in it. This will keep you from being able to access this directly. Try renaming this .htaccess file temporarily, do your capture of the output, and rename it back.

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote

I am running sentinel, should I disable that also? Further, I went through the entire path and renamed all the .htaccess files and still got the 403. Hopefully it's just sentinel. Sorry to be a pest.

montego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote

No, Sentinel isn't even involked at this point. That is really weird. Worked in my environment. You are getting a 403, so something is still definitely deny'ing you. It has to be something in an upstream .htaccess or possibly a cpanel deny?

It just has to be... Sad

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:59 pm Reply with quote

Nevermind, I went ahead and turned it off, renamed all the ht's in the path and received "access denied".

Are we closer to a solution?

montego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Are we closer to a solution?

Well, at least we now know its not a parse error. Now I am thinking a failed db update in the script. Please post the structure of your nuke_messages table.

Also, double-check that the INSERT statement in this script has the right number of fields in it. Here is what is in the RavenNuke76 distribution for reference sake:

Code:

$result = $db->sql_query("insert into " . $prefix . "_message values (NULL, '$add_title', '$add_content', '$add_mdate', '$add_expire', '$add_active', '$add_view', '$ingroups', '$add_mlanguage')");

You may have missed a core file edit there.

montego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote

BTW, debugging is a process of elimination. You may restore Sentinel and .htaccess files...

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote

I just checked the insert statment and sho' nuff... I had missed it completely. That was the solution.

I'm very sorry for my ignorance, it must have been frustrating.

Thank you, I will try to expedite my next donation.

God bless!

montego

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:10 am Reply with quote

You should never be concerned about asking questions and getting help. This is a community of individuals who like to help others. I am just very glad that it is now fixed.

RavensScripts

jazzfuser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:24 am Reply with quote

Wow! I thought I was just stupid, but it turns out that the insert edit was not in the core file edit instructions for messages.php!! That explains why I could not find any irregularities in my FOUR rechecks of the edit before posting here.

Hoorah! I can hold my head up high.

So, let me simply say...Thank you for your help...without all the self pitty Smile
Groovy RavensScripts Groovy

montego

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:16 pm Reply with quote

jazzfuser, In order to help others with this issue, I have moved this thread out from the RavenNuke specific one to its own under NSN Groups forum. This will help others you end up having this same issue. I will probably make it a sticky as well since the instructions were missing these edits.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NSN Groups

View next topic
View previous topic