Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's
izone
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:27 pm Reply with quote

I have near 3000 users in my site and about 100 to 200 visits each days.(and maybee more!)

Users write about 20 new topics and about 200 posts each days! This is not counted only approximatly numbers!

Most of posts and topics getting old and must removed after, say One year. But we don't have the time to look after old topics and spam posts in every forums and revome them.

The result of these is that my db has a size of over 100 Mb (and it is after last 3 days works for 4 admins to remove many of spam and old posts).

I'm using optimization function in admin area almost every other day and it helps a lot (I think).

But I wonder how the admins of big sites like here manage this? Is there an easier way to getting rid of spam posts and old topics?

Is there any way to reduce the size of db without removing new and valueable topics and posts?

Please give me som idea about this!

Best regards!

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote

no, there isnt any more effective way then using the functions in forum admin.
your responsible for your forum and its content,meaning.....that if you allow anonymous/guest posting your forum will get some spam or other type of bull...

most sites with big forums dont realy wanna touch it cause its valuable to them, has all to do with search engines,etc.....

but you decide if its all worth to you...

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Spam posts are indeed a problem but you can install the yellow mod or a similar mod for this and sometimes the community can this handle automatic independent. Thats what I try in a little project.

And the newest mod I saw today is against spam in quest forums. A new great Mod is born I believe.

Problems I noticed are copyright issues within posts in forums or download links to scripts with virus (backdoors) But thats more my special problem I believe and I remove such posts always immediately.

Normally I don´t remove old posts because sometimes they are helpful and they are already indexed in several search engines. If I remove this old posts I woud produce a lot of 404 error messages.
But 20 new topics daily isn´t bad.
7.000 registered Member and a database size of 22 Mb.1 forums Mod installed. I prefer slim line. Smile

izone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote

Susann, thanks,

Quote:

And the newest mod I saw today is against spam in quest forums. A new great Mod is born I believe.

And which one is it?? Have a link, please?

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:19 am Reply with quote

I have sent the link via PM.

izone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:26 am Reply with quote

Susann, Thank you!

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:43 pm Reply with quote

Can you post the link or is it secret?

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Don´t know exactly. Possible that the developer of this Mod doesn´t like that presently.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote

OK...how about a PM? Thanks...

Susann

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:40 pm Reply with quote

Done !

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, but the download is publicly available. Did the author request that you not publicize it?

Truden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote

Hi everybody Smile

I'm the author of the new anti spam mode, and I would like to apologize for not posting it to raven's community.
Please excuse me!

The mode is for everybody that like it, and I would not think to hide it from anybody.

You can get the mode from here and see it in action in our forums.

Once again - please excuse me!

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Truden! I figured that was the case. Thank you for developing this and for posting about it here.

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote

Druden, Thank you again for a great mod. Maybe izone can edit the title of this topic.

Truden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote

It is all my pleasure, my friends.
I got best help from raven's web site and from all phpNuke community, so it is my joy to give back something to all of you guys Smile

Cheers!

Truden

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:09 pm Reply with quote

Because we are talking about SPAM, I would like to help you some more about it.
Some years ago I changed the modules/Submit_News/index.php in order to make it available for anonymous to post news.
Then I changed modules/News/comments.php to make it to show the name of the person who comments.
All that was for [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] where user registration is locked (I think) and anonymous can post articles and comments.
You can see that no SPAM is bothering me there. (check the Bulgarian section)
The thing is...
I don't keep track of my changes.
I don't even remember what did I do.
And I don't have the original files to compare with the new ones.
I don't anymore do tests on my PC, and I don't even have the files for phpNuke 7.3 and phpNuke 7.6 which I use on my web sites.
(My web host is the best about BackUps)

Pleas sent me the above mentioned files for 7.3 and 7.6 (save me the big download) and when I have time, I'll try to make an installation file for the comment anti spam mode.
I can not promise when it will be done, but I'll do it for you guys.

Love to All Smile

Susann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:26 pm Reply with quote

Would be really great if you do that ! Smile
Just for your information:The 7.6 version is here in the download section. It isn´t a big download but that version doesn´t have the newest patch.I can send you the 7.3 version. Need to find it first. There are several different solutions against comment spam in news I believe. E.g. with and without captcha and raven posted also some code in the past here somewhere in the forums. I personally don´t use a submit news link on my website and anonymus comments are not allowed. Isn´t that simple. So I never had that problem in the last years but many people have this spam problem with the news modul and the feedback modul too. The new spam bots are very clever they can bypass simple security codes or captchas. Spam is indeed a great problem and I hate spammers.

Truden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote

I need just the two files... but ok, I'll download the full versions Smile

Susann

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:47 am Reply with quote

I have sent you a PM with the path to different files.

Truden

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote

Got them.
THNKS! Smile

Truden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote

Hi again Smile

First I'd like to ask some admin to split this topic where it starts the spam discution. It will be more easy to find discusion when it is under the right title.

Second...
The "Security Images Check" for phpBBNuke is changed again.
Now it gives the advantage for the registered users not to use the confirmation code.

The update does not change anything in the edited files and is very easy.
You will find the update in the packet (the same link) or view it HERE.

Third...
Love You All
Cheers Very Happy

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:12 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Truden for giving back to the community and you have saved me some work too as I was developing a similar hack.

Truden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:28 pm Reply with quote

I'll say it countless times: it is all my pleasure Smile

And one more thing:
You are welcome to take part in dis mode, and improve it, distribute it (with your name on it, of course), and help people fight the spam Smile

None of my work has copyright, and anybody can use it, change it, improve it, without even giving me credit.
It is fine with me, as long as it helps the people Smile

Susann

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Hi,

isn´t it a good idea if you add your helpful anti-spam mod into Ravens downloads section ? And the German Nuke Sentinel Support Site at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] is also interested and I believe the new Ciroxx Support Site is interested too. I´m against Spammer therefore I also would like to have this mod in my own downloads area.
As I said above a new great mod is born:The Truden anti-spam mod. Smile

Truden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Friends,

I have wrote two books, many articles and I did some blocks and work for phpNuke, and none of my work has copyright.

It is free to use, to put your name on it, to change, to abuse and what so ever Smile

I don't have time and I don't know all the web sites that are interested in this mode.
Please, feel free to put the file in your web sites, to change it (put your name for the change), to distribute it and to help people.

Anything is fine with me, as long as it helps the people.

Love You All Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's

View next topic
View previous topic