Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
emmaphp
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:48 am Reply with quote

Hi,

I have just created a new 'home page' module for my news website.

There is a part of the page I want to call 'Latest News' and under this title, i want to feature details from the last/most recent news submission that was made.

I only want to display the text in the 'Story Text:' field of article that was submitted and not the 'Extended Text' or 'Notes'. this is because there wil be a link to the news module if someone wants to read more about the story.

Please can someone help me acheive this?

srhh
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:48 am Reply with quote

Not sure I understand. But you can post the entire story in the "story text" field in your news submission and the entire story will show up in the main page.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:57 am Reply with quote

srhh......i think by 'main page' you mean 'home page'/'module'....but the point is that i am not using the news module for the front page of my website....I have created a new module/home page and i want the first part of the most recent news submission to be featured on a part of my new home page......and the first part of a news story that has been submitted will be in the 'Story Text:' field of the article being submitted.

can anyone else help please?

aseitz
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote

emmaphp wrote:
srhh......i think by 'main page' you mean 'home page'/'module'....but the point is that i am not using the news module for the front page of my website....I have created a new module/home page and i want the first part of the most recent news submission to be featured on a part of my new home page......and the first part of a news story that has been submitted will be in the 'Story Text:' field of the article being submitted.

can anyone else help please?

If you found a solution for this, I sure would love to hear it. I am in the same situation, however I am trying to show the latest 3.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
srhh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote

I think I gotcha. Have you tried using the 'messages' function in admin to post the news? You can then put a link at the bottom of the message to the rest of the news story. Or you can create a new center block specifically for that. All of those would require you to manually put in each new submission as they come in and delete the old one though.
Hope that helps

emmaphp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote

NO srhh.......I have created a new module/home page for my website.......It is the FRONT PAGE for my website.......it is, for example, like looking at the Home Page of CNN web page....

My 'Home Page' is divided into various small areas (or 'blocks') and in each it will have a short piece of text (and maybe an image too), and if the person reading wants to know more they will have to click a link which will read 'more here' or 'click for more'.

Now, when you post/submit a news item, there are 3 feilds you can entre the text into.....'Story Text' field, 'Extended Text' field or 'Notes' field...

I want one of these 'blocks' on my new home page/module to include the begining piece of text (the 'Story Text') of the last/most recently posted news story published on my website.

Comprendez?

jaded
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:39 pm Reply with quote

I do not know if you intended this but you came across a bit rude in your last post. At any rate, I believe that you will need to get a coder to create this function for you unless you are quite familiar with php coding. It does not sound as though you are. That is not an insult but an observation.

Ghost Stories & More [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
srhh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote

emmaphp wrote:
NO srhh.......I have created a new module/home page for my website.......It is the FRONT PAGE for my website.......it is, for example, like looking at the Home Page of CNN web page....

My 'Home Page' is divided into various small areas (or 'blocks') and in each it will have a short piece of text (and maybe an image too), and if the person reading wants to know more they will have to click a link which will read 'more here' or 'click for more'.

Now, when you post/submit a news item, there are 3 feilds you can entre the text into.....'Story Text' field, 'Extended Text' field or 'Notes' field...

I want one of these 'blocks' on my new home page/module to include the begining piece of text (the 'Story Text') of the last/most recently posted news story published on my website.

Comprendez?

I perfectly understand. I think the misunderstanding lay elsewhere. The message function is still probably the best free way to do what you want. Just like all the free advice here. Best of luck to you.

Cheers.

aseitz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote

So my question might be a bit different then ...

Let me clarify: How do I re-print news articles in a seperate module?

emmaphp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:40 pm Reply with quote

So, after many weeks of other issues keeping me occupied, I have now accomplished what I set out to do ad had sought advise about in this original thread.

As previously explained, I am not using the News Module as my websites Home/Front page.

I have instead created my own Front/Home Page for my website.

If people want to view the News Module they must click on the main module links navigation menu to view it.

However, when a new news story is submitted, it is now not only entered at the top of the list of news stories in the News Module, (as always), but also the stories 'Title' text and 'Story Text' of the latest submission will always appear on the Home Page I created and am using.

I am no expert at PHPNuke or PHP Coding, so this took a while to acheive, however if anyone wants the code I can forward it to them.

srhh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:07 pm Reply with quote

HI emma,

Glad you found what you were looking for.
This may be a little late, but I recently came across the MetOpen HomePage module here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Haven't played with it too much, but looks pretty customizable and thought at least it may give you some more coding ideas and options to work with.

Gremmie
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:53 pm Reply with quote

I would have looked at the News module and stolen bits and pieces from it since it does more than what you want.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote

Hi Gremmie,

Your suggestion is pretty much what I did.

Howver this process to ages to reach completion and I am still not 100% satisfied with my resuts which ideally require little 'tweaking'.

The reason it took me so so so long though, is that I am no guru on PHP codng and the way I usually create new/customized modules for my website, is as follows:

1. I use a basic WIZYWIG html editor to create the basic look of the new mdule.

2. I then use one of those online 'module creators', such as the one at the [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] website.

3. I ftp the new mnodule and activate it.

The problem using your idea, (which I did do), is that you cannot simply 'steal' the existing php code and intergrate it in the initial design stages when using the WIZYWIG html editor...Because the code you are already 'stealing' is often already PHP, so it connot/does not need to go through the later html conversion process when using the online 'module creator'.

So what I basically had to do was:

1. create the HTML version of the new module, but leave 'spaces' where I wanted the information taken fron the headlines in the database to be displayed.

2. Convert the html module to PHP.

3. 'Steal' pices of code from the existing news module and intergrate them with the PHP version of the module.

4. Play around a lot until everything was positioned correctly, (or as near as I could get it using this crazy method).

5. ftp the new module and activate it.

Thanks again.

emmaphp

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:48 am Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply 'srhh',

I will check the information you posted and I hope it makes my life easier that what I just described in response to 'Gremmie's' post.

Gremmie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:00 am Reply with quote

Glad you got it working. Why don't you use this opportunity to learn some PHP then? It's fun!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic