Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
candy
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote

I want to set my mail settings so that if someone send an email to an address/account that doesn't actually exist on my domain that they get an error message or that it bounces back. so, i went to cpanel and set " :fail: " as the address to send all unrouted emails, however when i just tested it out, i sent an email to myself to an account that doesn't exist in my mail and I received it so it apparently isn't bouncing back. is there something else i can do? i don't want to get emails sent to accounts that don't exist. thanks.

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:48 pm Reply with quote

do you have newest cpanel ?

if so,then you can active BoxTrapper

what it does is,is traps all mails send and it sends a mail to the sender to verify...
if that doesnt happens the mail is automatically deleted after a period.
all accounts must be disabled...

unfortunately your stuck with the catch all,that accepts all mail... Sad

candy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote

does box trapper send a notification to the sender that the email address is invalid? the problem is i don't want the sender to keep sending to an invalid address and them thinking that the emails are actually getting through.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote

no...it sends a mail to everyone that sends a mail..
in that mail your system requires the sender to verify himself as a human be replying to the mail..
simple..
i use it...
it kills every wanna be idiot spammer... Twisted Evil

candy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:17 pm Reply with quote

i guess i don't understand why cpanel won't let you configure it with just sending the sender a return message. here's what the documentation says in the cpanel troubleshooting:

Troubleshooting

If you wish to have invalid emails send an error back to their sender, use :fail: as the new default address. If you wish to have invalid emails disappear, use :blackhole: as the new default address.

this is what i did but it still lets emails through.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote

yes i know...
that happend to me to...cause it doesnt help..
like i told you does.. Wink

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote

Funny thing I cannot figure out is that I also am using BoxTrapper and I am still getting the emails sent. Now, I wonder if it has anything to do with forwarding? I don't use the web mail that comes with cpanel. Too much of a pain in the butt when I can have everything go to one email web client that I use all the time for everything else... I am wondering if the forwarding is happening before the BoxTrapper looks at it... Sad

BUT, I cannot see how this would affect the Default Address. I would think that :fail: would work. But, I am thinking it is a combination of things but cannot figure it out... Sad

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote

hi montego,

im no expert in this...
on my hosting acc i used a few addresses in the very beginning but fun was over after spam...

so i had everything closed for a long time but i decided to use it instead...
as far as i can tell from my config the mail enters at the main account...
but that doesnt have a name....

so infact ,every mail like admin,webmastermblabla @ mysite.com will go to the trapper,that sends a mail to the sender...

so in short...
i dont use the mail server and its functions of my hosting..

all mail traffic and everything i receive is from my internet isp..

montego

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:08 pm Reply with quote

That is so weird. Wish I could figure this out. I get all the spam emails forwarded and I can even see that they are sitting in the BoxTrapper... been pulling my hair out for weeks...

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote

but i have my doubts if you can still use the forward function...
if you use that the sytem doesnt know how to act....
thats what i think anyway.....
looks like the forward overrides the trapper rules...

montego

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I got it. Ok... I'll have to give that a try. I may have to try using an actual client again (but I hate that because I cannot access my email everywhere...).

Tao_Man
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:07 pm Reply with quote

Well I keep an email client on a thumb drive so as long as I got access to USB on most system I can get my email.

fail, blackhole and forwarding work just fine for me have cpanel 10.8.2-RELEASE 119.

montego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote

Tao_Man, what email client do you use that does not require an installation on a windows platform. I'd love to get it. Thanks!

Tao_Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote

It is Thunderbird Portable you can get it and a lot of other portable apps at....http://portableapps.com/

Now these arn't totaly platform independent as they are compiled for windows but, there always seems to be a windows box around.

I am hooked on my thumb drive, keep it on my key chain and I have my email, my web browser with all my favorites, telnet, gimp, even an apache server and a back up version of my website,the only thing I havn't got yet is a really good text editor, I use psp but dont have a portable version of that yet.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:40 am Reply with quote

Wow, what an excellent concept! Thanks for the site... I am going to buy the largest USB drive now that I can find! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic