Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.5.x
Dark_Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote

Hi. I have a question about sentinel that I am a little confused about.

I know what the htaccess file does and I noticed in each blocker option it gives you a choice between having sentinel write to the .htaccess file or not.

Here is my question: If you choose NOT to write to the htaccess file will it still block a users IP? and if so whats the best way to use sentinel? With writing to htaccess file on or off?

Regards Chris

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote

Welcome Dark_Dragon!

Sentinel will still block using its "blocked IPs" table but the advantage of having it write to .htaccess is that now that IP is blocked at the Apache level and so that IP will be denied for your entire site even scripts / pages that are not under the watchful of of Sentinel (i.e., not integrated into Nuke or not properly coded).

I highly recommend writing to .htaccess if you are going to block an IP.

Dark_Dragon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply montego and thanks for the recommendation I will defenetly use it.

I just have one more question however. Is there any good way to test sentinel to see if its working the way I want it to? I have it set to block proxies and I have it on the strong level and I tried entering my site using a proxy and it blocked me as soon as I tried. Is there any other tests I can try?

I want the best security for my site. I used to work with static HTML before I got into nuke and my site was hacked so many times it wasnt even funny so I said to myself that would never happen again lol

montego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Well, there is never a sure thing. I am very surprised you were hacked with just a static web site. That would be very difficult to do. Unfortunately, a dynamic web site, especially one that is based on Open Source code (i.e., available to all to see and attempt to exploit) is much worse.

I don't want to scare you, but you need to understand that the risk is even higher as soon as you go "dynamic". You have made the right choice in using RavenNuke, as it is about the best almost core PHP-Nuke around (not saying it is the ONLY one guys!), but nothing is going to be fool-proof. Just look at Windows, browsers, even linux and other unix's too, EVERYTHING has exploits... it is a matter of keeping good back ups of your site and keep up on the patch levels of everything you use as much as possible...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.5.x

View next topic
View previous topic