Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
tx12345

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote

Hi

Is there a way to code html to *not* show where the browser is going? I am using iframe, have the pages encrypted, and right click disabled, the history cleared, but if one wants to know where the browser is going it shows up on the status bar.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks!

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:15 pm Reply with quote

You can use Javascript to override the status bar. Do a search on javascript.com or dynamicdrive.com to find some examples.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote

You beat me to it again! lol

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:01 pm Reply with quote

It helps to have multiple computers with multiple keyboards and the ability to type with both hands on different keyboards at the same time...jk!

tx12345

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote

It is a good thing I am an expert at looking for a needle in a haystck Smile

"do a search for status bar scripts" is a little broad.

Maybe I did not ask the right way.

Most of the scripts (all it seems) that deal with the status bar are of the mouse over variety, but when you right click on the link, the http addy shows up in the status bar anyway, so all the scripts I found using your thoughtful suggestion before I posted the above don't work. And that is including having no-right click scripts in the html code as well.

I was able to solve that problem with javascript form buttons, so the user seeing the link in their staus bar while they are viewing the page, or being able to see my code is not the issue for me.

The information I was hoping to find is if there is a way to code a web page so *as the browser is headed to a particular web page* the various web links will *not* show up in the status bar at all.

Maybe this is a better question.

Thanks again

tx

kguske wrote:
You can use Javascript to override the status bar. Do a search on javascript.com or dynamicdrive.com to find some examples.

manunkind
Client

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote

I, being a big Internet security buff, am very curious as to why you are going through all these hiding and coverup techniques. Care to explain?

But to answer your question, you could use Javascript at multiple points. Have something loading with the page that changes the Status bar (look here on this site and how it behaves) and then something on the links triggered by a mouseover. You would just have to program it where the Status bar is always customized.

But how are you going to stop people from going to View > Source in their toolbars? Or saving the page locally? Or using Crl-C to copy the HTML right off the page, pasting it into a WYSIWYG editor and looking at the raw code?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:00 am Reply with quote

The code is encrypted, forst of all, and Ctrl-C, page source, and so on, don't work. Also, as far as I can tell there is no history. But the last hurdle is dealing with the status bar. Why? Since the government is always meddling in our private business, and since our tax dollars pay for them to spy on us, and since we go to work everyday to pay for, to enable, and to make sure the government can have all the tools it needs to nose into our private affairs, without any cause to do so, except that it wishes to, I thought I might as well be one person whom the government can't spy on so easily. Freedom is a beautiful thing.

The best way to keep the source private is through anonymous proxy sites, anonymous ISP, code encryption, and embedded frames. But a good anon ISP is too much kaching! for my purposes, so the next best thing is to make the government work a little instead of just handing it to them on a silver platter.

After all, Verizon, ATT, Bell South just handed telephone records of its customers over the the government, behind the customers back. We know now there are no laws to protect us from unlawdul searches, so we must take matters into our own hands. Now perhaps you are like millions of Americans that don't care. "I've got nothing to hide!" Yes, but you do have your dignity, and a sense of proportion to preserve. If I want to establish a level of confidentiality that fits my comfort level, I have every right to do so. "But if the bad people do that they will do bad things!" Yes, always the bad apples in this world, but the idea of taking away the liberty of the other 98% of the population to try and stop what 1% of the other 2% might be up to is 1) imoractical, and 2) just an excuse for the government to grab more control, until we wake up one day and we note the all seeing eye of big brother is all around us, which it is.

Now the american tax payer pays for drones to fly over their neighborhoods to spy on them, and we are paying for the development of a type of 'blimp' that cruises 5 miles or so up in the sky, out of view to the naked eye, but is equipped with several cameras to get up-close portrait like pictures of every square centimeter on the ground within a radious of 1000 miles - and they are planning on making 4 of the to start.

"But we need this! It is for out protection! The government is just trying to make us safe!! We should always trust the government!" If we should always trust the government, why did the founders often quoted Jer 17:7 (I think that is the right reference) "The heart of man is deceitful above all things", and based upon their certain knowledge that men in power can cause a heluvalotta trouble for a lot of people at one time, they devised a system of checks and balances in order to prevent tyranny? Today, there are no checks and balances. Today we have it all backwards. Today it is the government that puts the clamp down on the liberty of the people (tyranny), when the founders *intended* that the people put the clamp down on the liberties the government could take. No credible third party observer looking at how things have deterioirate i America could honestly say the check on the growth and limts of government is still firmly in place. The government is clearly out of control. It starts wars at will based on unproven and often entirely false premises, it spies on people at will, and mercilesly crushes political opposition. It controls a corrupt monetary system, riddled with moral hazard, wherein all it takes it some sleight of hand, and a little manipulation, and the 535 Marionette puppets in congress all raise their hands together to say "Aye", and instead of obtaining funding from the taxpayer the honest way, through a *recognizable tax*, to fund the wars those who manipulate the congress want to start, they can then tell the central bank to turn on the presses, and they just start making money. This creates a massive inflationary tax on the poor, and is a classic form of taxation without representation.

Considering that the government and the people who manipulate the government to attain their ends, are the singular beneficiaries of this transaction (we die in their wars, and pay for them with our resources, for example) one might begin to wonder, with credible, and honest skepticism, who the real enemy is after all, especially in view of the fact that those who *founded* this country did not trust governemnt, and it was their *intent* to limit its scope, rate of growth and activities. Considering we now have a government that had a completely unbridled growth pattern, has enacted legislation to neutralize the effect of several of the amendments to the original constitution, and is actively engaged on spying on every single living American, all facts in the record not in dispute, it seems to me that my liberty is under assault, and I am not interested in cooperating with tyrants.

But this is just my view, and it is not shared by most. 10 years from now, however, this lack of intellectual engagement by the masses who don't care will only lead to even further government encroachments on the liberty of the people. This is nothing new - a careless body politic let things get this far, considering what the government gets away with in broad daylight these days, one can only imagine what comes next. More deception, more false flag operations, more manipulation of public opinion based on staged events, that leads to a greater control over the people, greater confiscation of wealth, and greater loss of life dying in wars that seem after some time not to serve the purposes advertised by the government to get us into them in the first place, but other interests that unmistakably serve the interests of the government, and the monied elite of the world. When you stand back and examine who is on the receiving end of this process, in terms of gained controil, money and power, it is not people like you and me.

We are the dumbasses who fall for it, pay for it and die for it. The joke is on us, my friend, and the real enemy is laughing in our faces all the way to the bank.

You wanted an answer, well, there it is. As for your suggesrion, I think I have gotten past the broad concept part, but was hoping to find a more specific application.

Thanks for the try.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote

That sounds a lot like Det. John Munch on Law and Order SVU. Remember the episode with the guy wearing tin foil on his head to keep the spies out? Sound familiar? Smile

The masses are ignorant, the government is against us, and the wealthy elite are evil (oh no, it's Dr. Evil!!) - long live the proletariat!! PLEASE... A simple "I'm obsessed with privacy" would've sufficed.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote

It can all be circumvented in any event so it's merely just more of an 'inconvenience'.

manunkind

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:27 pm Reply with quote

With all the fraud, phishing, identify theft, and multi-thousand machine botnets that they are dealing with, I really don't think the government is too worried about an honest site's source code and where the site links to. But hey, it's your site and good luck with it.

Post a link to your site when it's done. I wanna take a look. Wink

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:45 pm Reply with quote

Can you please provide a link to your site, Id like to look to see if this idea is plausible, It wont work on some setups and is VERY touchy.

Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:54 pm Reply with quote

well you cannot fully protect it...
before my phpnuke adventure started i build a site on html and used every javascript-trick in the book the keep some parts secret..
and if your out of ideas you can also try :

<forbidden>
content here..Wink
</forbidden>

tx12345

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote

as long as somebody else dies, and the bombs don't hit your yard, everythng is cool, right?

As for the other guy, I already stated most people do not care about government encroachment on our privacy. All that means is they'll just keep encroaching until responses like those i find here are simply not made. How far will you allow the govt go? Well, in 1980 the govt was not spying on Americans openly, and there wasn't a patriot act. The government calls that progress. In 1980 you could go around town, get on a plane, and visit any building you chose, and would not see a single security camera. Today they are everywhere. The government calls that progress. But this is the sort of progress that takes something away from the rest of us. But I am guessing most of you were not even born then. You grow up in a police state (by comparison) and don't recognize it as such because this is what you are conditioned to accept. But 20 years from now you will look back on these days (if the trend continues, and gathering from the replies it is likely to) and appreciate the force and power of trends, and will marvel at how much more the government has intruded into your lives, and it will matter. Why be the frog in the pot. The water is getting very warm, better to jump out of the pot now than to wait. But most people it seems are comfy in the warming water.

And it is precisely because I am an honest person that I take issue with an intrusive government who engages in illegal searches on a daily routine basis. Probable cause doesn't mean anything to you, but it does to me. I like my privacy, and intend to keep it that way. And for the postr who complained about the reply, I take issue with the question.

Lastly, to the comment 'all you had to say was ...', well, perhaps all the rest of you needed to say was "we don't know", instead of posting meanigless posts that in no way at all gives any specific code to force the status bar to read 'x' instead of 'y'. All I get is a lot of whining about bad people, and smart assed comments.

I mean, if you don't know the code, you don't know the code. So whatever.

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote

See, everyone (and their Big Brother) IS out to get you! Where's the tin foil?!!

progressive wrote:
...as long as somebody else dies, and the bombs don't hit your yard, everything is cool..."

Have you no self respect? That is totally without class and inappropriate. Many of my uncles were shot with real bullets or were POWs in real wars, and good friends received medical discharges for real injuries.

poor victim wrote:
...I am an honest person...

No one accused you otherwise, but thanks for sharing, we believe you!

I know you better than you know yourselves wrote:
"Probable cause doesn't mean anything to you..."

Really? I guess that's why we all use our real names like Raven, darklord, montego, manunkind, hitwalker and guardian!!! Please only put words in your own mouth - we can all speak for ourselves, thank you.

Since you know us so well, you should also know that most of us on this post were born WAY before 1980. Patronizing us accomplishes little in the way of convincing to support your position. But, thanks for your magnanimity, Morpheus!

We DO know and TRIED to help. Some simply tried to point out the futility of your efforts. And for that we get a rambling diatribe. Give it a rest. Sell crazy somewhere else - we're all full up here. I hear the Wachowski brothers are looking for a script writer for The Matrix Regurgitated... Any resemblance to your post seems purely intentional.

To everyone else, I apologize for furthering this pointless conversation (a wise man doesn't need your advice, and a fool won't listen), but sometimes it's necessary to address people this way. Plus I needed an excuse to unload... Smile

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:51 am Reply with quote

Quote:

Lastly, to the comment 'all you had to say was ...', well, perhaps all the rest of you needed to say was "we don't know", instead of posting meanigless posts that in no way at all gives any specific code to force the status bar to read 'x' instead of 'y'. All I get is a lot of whining about bad people, and smart assed comments.

I mean, if you don't know the code, you don't know the code. So whatever.

Several folks gave you the answer. It cannot be done. It (meaning your intent to stop prying eyes) is simply an inconvenience only. Even JavaScript won't help you as folks have eluded to in that one looks at the source anyways, plus JS can simply be disabled at the browser level.

If the government wants to spy on you, do you really think these little "methods" are really going to do any good? JMO, not a chance.

gregexp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:53 pm Reply with quote

And to add to this lovely comentary, I have to say this.

IT is IMPOSSIBLE to protect your source and IMPOSSIBLE to stop people from viewing links and things while using something that inputs to their browser.

Heres what you asking(simplified): Can I stop people from viewing the content that my website sends to their browser?

No you cant. Once sent to their browser, their computer can either store it or not. The only option to protect your source is to make everything a server-side input where your server only sends them the results. This is limited at best but is the only option in your quest.

To further impose my point, There are people here who are even MORE security fanatics then you. Whoa, I know shocking isnt it.
I for one am one of those people and will not speak on others behalf but my security is designed to STOP bad people from even getting a chance to see what I dont want them to server side. So there is no code, even javascript will not be fully able to do this.

Last but not least, Javascript can help to do this, IF coded for each application, links are 2 seperate sets of codes, Pictures are a whole nother ball game. So to post a simple code would not suffice, you must address each part of your site seperately, then if the person loads a browser that disables javascript(as montego stated), uhhh, then you got nothing.

Hey kguske, I'm 1983!!!! Laughing
I see your point though, just wanted to throw that in there.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote

1983 ? Laughing
thats very young.....
man that was long ago...

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:09 am Reply with quote

Really if he's that worried, he could create his own browser system with an encrypted server-client messages. Priorietary communications is much better than an open language like HTML. But then of course you would limit the visitors that would go to your site.

I guess you could try making your site into a Flash or Java applet. Some measure of security... better than Javascript. Really in the end, just hoops. If people really want to steal your content, they will Smile

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic