Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
unforgotten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to know which platform should I download to be the most secure, The ones I know are phpnuke, Raven nuke, nuke evolution and nuke platinum.

Which one should I use to be the most protected against hackers?

Thanks!,
John

Last edited by unforgotten on Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total 
gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote

IMO ravennuke(tm) would be your absolute most secure platform. I havent coded anything in ravennuke so dont think this is because I had anything to do with it. I just uinstalled ravennuke and did My absolute best(which isnt all that except for known exploits) to crack it. I have not been successfull to date. But the MAIN reason for my opinion, Is the support offered for it.

Its awesome if you couldnt tell.

Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote

If that is your only critera for deciding then off the bat standard nuke is not even a possibility. Wink

Since this is Raven's site I am sure it will get the strongest recommendations. Its a great package and is secure. It might not have everything you are looking for feature wise though.

Platinum is heavy on features, but a bit lacking in some of the security areas. That is NOT to say they are insure by any means. It's just if that is what you are going by I would say its lower than your other choices, except nuke.

Since I am bias I will just say Evo has more features than Raven nuke, and I would venture to say more security than it. But that is really a matter of opinion.

Honestly I think that you should take a look at all the packages and their features, try them out and see what you like.

unforgotten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote

oh sorry I'm totally lost here... I thought raven nuke was not a platform but just a security add-on much like sentinel is to phpnuke. So Raven nuke is in fact another platform eh... I will look more into it but honestly I would rather go for Raven nuke.

This brings another question, is coding a theme for Raven Nuke same as coding a theme for phpnuke? Because I'm planning on making my own custom theme for it.

gregexp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:48 am Reply with quote

Technocrat is a VERY reliable source for informaion pertaining to these packages and I did not mention evolution since I personally have not tested it in anyway.

From what I have heard its an excellent script and should be tested.

Simply put, Ravens and evolution are the 2 best (opinion) and should be tested to your own liking.

Nothing is unhackable so keep upto date with the updates and make your own judgements.

technocrat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:38 pm Reply with quote

darklord wrote:
Nothing is unhackable so keep upto date with the updates and make your own judgements.

That should be the quote of the day Smile

Yes Raven nuke and Evo are both nuke themes with some minor changes. Evo has more changes than Raven's. Evo-themez.com would be a good resource should you choose my package.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote

One of the problems with Platinum was that so many forum modifications were added and required theme changes, that special themes were required for it. A fair number were created, but all that effort was lost, IMO, when support was dropped and security naturally fell behind as a result.

That highlights an important point: several aspects are worth considering about any PHP-Nuke distribution (or any open source project, for that matter):
- features / functionality (not only included, but available)
- security
- support

If you support multiple sites or have no interest in / ability to create themes, the number and quality of available themes might be another factor to consider.

Sites like The CMS Matrix and OpenSourceCMS are a good way to evaluate included functionality (e.g. modules, addons, themes, etc.), but they fail to provide useful information on available functionality, and the info provided on security and support is, at best, very subjective. I recommend researching the latter points on your own with 3 questions:

How active are support forums?
How quickly are questions answered and issues resolved?
How quickly are security issues resolved? (they will all have security issues!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic