Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
finalheaven
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:48 pm Reply with quote

Hey there. New to these boards and ravennuke, but I love it already.

Question is, I have a preinstalled phpbb forums already setup with it's own mysql database, and the appropriate settings and what not.

Could I use these in place of what's installed with ravennuke? IE can I swap out the forums folder, and move in my previous forum installation?

This would be a HUGE help. THanks.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:35 pm Reply with quote

No!
It is not so much the files themselves (though quite a few are moved from the forum directory to those within nuke) as the database structure.
It is do-able but a lot of work to convert from a standalone phpBB forum the nuke BBtoNuke forum system.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Have you searched for a phpBB to bbtonuke conversion script?

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:32 pm Reply with quote

A couple of discussions:

karakas-online.de
RavenPHPScripts.com

finalheaven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:34 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
A couple of discussions:

karakas-online.de
RavenPHPScripts.com

Those discussions seem so old, would they still apply to me today? I have the newest version of phpbb and I'll be converting it to the latest version of ravennuke.

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:59 pm Reply with quote

Even if the data structures for phpBB have changed significantly (doubtful), the concepts are the same and maybe you find a utility to assist if you look.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:37 pm Reply with quote

You can always try my conversion script: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
finalheaven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:47 pm Reply with quote

evaders99 wrote:
You can always try my conversion script: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

If that works, that's a life saver (well, it's a time saver, and that gives me life back Wink )

Now, I have to have my old phpbb tables in the same database as my nuke tables, correct?

To do that, I should export my phpbb tables, and then import them in my nuke database, correct?

Also, if your converter requires me to manually change tables, I may run into trouble since my mysql knowledge is diddly.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:51 pm Reply with quote

Nice one Evaders!
I havent checked it out as I still cannot get into your site (timesout for me all the time).

finalheaven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:56 pm Reply with quote

Oh yes, and one more thing.

I was reading reports on how I should set the them in the old phpbb to subsilver, and change all private forums to public so as not to run into problems there.

When I do the conversion, will that affect the theme I have running in ravennuke? As I like the forums style that came with my ravennuke theme. I wouldn't want to change that.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:01 am Reply with quote

No it wont afffect the raven nuke theme you are using.

finalheaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote

Here goes nothing...

well, I completed the transfer, but if I try to click the login button on the forums, it takes me to my login page for my ravennuke.

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

EDIT: ok, nevermind. I think I got it working. But I'm a little confused about how ravennuke and the forums handle logins. The two credentials are indeed handled seperately, correct?

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:51 am Reply with quote

Thanks evaders - I thought there might be something out there, but didn't have time to search.

finalheaven, the login for nuke handles both. That's one of the reasons why the Nuke phpBB is a little different than standard phpBB. Some disable the forum login / profile, others replace the YourAccount with a modified forum profile, and still others have both.

finalheaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:23 am Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
Thanks evaders - I thought there might be something out there, but didn't have time to search.

finalheaven, the login for nuke handles both. That's one of the reasons why the Nuke phpBB is a little different than standard phpBB. Some disable the forum login / profile, others replace the YourAccount with a modified forum profile, and still others have both.

Hmm, then that would explain the problem I've had.

How can I make it so one only needs to login into nuke, to gain access to both nuke and forums.

As it stands for myself, I have an nuke admin login, a nuke member login, and a forums login lol.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote

If you log in from the front page block or from the Your Account link this is the normal nuke log in and will allow a user access to both nuke and the forums.
This is the prefered method and you should not need to log into both.

If you cannot access forums after logging in, something else is causing the problem.

finalheaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:
If you log in from the front page block or from the Your Account link this is the normal nuke log in and will allow a user access to both nuke and the forums.
This is the prefered method and you should not need to log into both.

If you cannot access forums after logging in, something else is causing the problem.

Are there preferred settings for the forums in order to aid that relationship? IE should i have certain settings in order to cause less problems? or all of this is done automatically? The only issue I've run in with, is people loginning in, and then when trying to access the forums, not being logged in to them, but refreshing the forums page fixes this and logs them in. I don't know if that's the way it's supposed to work, but it's working so far.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:00 pm Reply with quote

They shouldnt need to refresh the page, that sounds like a cookie problem to me but the majority of settings should have been done during the installation of Raven Nuke. Is you new site on the same domain as the old one? You cacould ask a couple of your members to clear their cache and cookies to see if there is a difference.

finalheaven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote

I have. It is indeed on the same domain, so I believe it's a cache problem. That's fine with me.

Question though; now that I've successfully moved the forums over, only after importing the phpbb database into my nuke database, can I delete all the phpbb tables?

kguske

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote

Back them up first...

evaders99

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote

Yes, you can delete the phpBB tables.

Always login through the Your_Account module. That will control the user, including the forums. The forums login itself doesn't work correctly, I recommend removing it from the template index_body.tpl

(Guardian, you're in Europe right? Our server has been experiencing problems with some Europeans... we're not sure what's up exactly. I haven't been able to figure out a solution)

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:37 am Reply with quote

evaders99 wrote:
(Guardian, you're in Europe right? Our server has been experiencing problems with some Europeans... we're not sure what's up exactly. I haven't been able to figure out a solution)

Yes I'm in the UK - I'll try a proxy!)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic