Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - Other
Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote

I am running Coppermine stand alone accessed via a link in Site Navigation block. CPG is located outside of my PHP-Nuke directory and uses a seperate database. However, I do have a link back to my homepage within CPG. Does this still make my PHP-Nuke site vulnerable to attack through Coppermine?

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quote

Well this now depends on server security as I have seen coppermine allow things to be uploaded that could cause your server to get hacked instead of your nuke site. So check with your host to verify that server security is top notch but you have managed to run a script that is vulnerable to exploits but will not mess with your nuke site in particular. This is as secure as you yourself can make it. Now its server security.

This doesn't mean your coppermine wont be hacked, just means nuke site is not at risk, unless they are able to exploit cpanel or the server in another way. Wont be done from site level.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote

Well, I must respectfully disagree, especially is both installations are under the same web root. Even with PHP running as CGI instead of a DSO module won't be able to stop them if they can get in through Coppermine.

If these are even in separate web roots, but hosted on the same server, depending again on how PHP is configured with Apache, you may not be secure.

A web site (and server) is only as secure as its weakest link and shared servers increases the risk regardless...

Doulos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:26 pm Reply with quote

hmm, could I password protect the coppermine folder with a .htaccess file? Would that help? I don't want to give up the photo gallery but I REALLy don't want to get hacked via that gallery.

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:27 pm Reply with quote

well i doubt if its still that easy to get hacked,i dont know but its just a thought..
some big sites are still using it and aren't hacked....so why is that?
i think that if you run it with no upload privileges for members then it could be as safe as any other album.

montego

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:22 pm Reply with quote

Ezekiel wrote:
hmm, could I password protect the coppermine folder with a .htaccess file? Would that help? I don't want to give up the photo gallery but I REALLy don't want to get hacked via that gallery.

Actually, that couldn't hurt unless every member is given upload capability. I agree with hitwalker regarding the upload capability. If you can live with that off for non-admins, it would be a good thing, but I am personally not going to vouch for whether it is completely safe.

You assess the risk, make your decision, take regular backups of files and database, and live with the results. That is my "motto".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - Other

View next topic
View previous topic