Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
Anubis_The_Jackal
Court Jester

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:27 pm Reply with quote

Its getting EXTREAMLY annoying at how many and how often the nuke releases are. Is there any way to just get the files that were actually updated, rather than the entire package to sift through.

I updated to nuke-7, re-installed all my mods, then after that, nuke 7.1 came out. I saved all my theme info and stuff, and uploaded and upgraded, but it still throws my mods off balance, and now with 7.2 out all I want are the updated files. That way I know which ones to edit before I upload.

Its giving me a headache since nuke 6.5 with the update spree to nuke 7. I fear there will be more updates than I can handle. I do lkike keeping everything secure and up to date, but I have yet to find updates with just the files that were fixed/improved, leaving out everything else.

Sorry if this post is long winded, its just reached my boiling point.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:59 pm Reply with quote

What really compounds the annoyance is that his releases of late are really not needed. What I mean is that he is not releasing feature enhancements, or certainly nothing of substance. He is mostly copying other people's fixes and releasing what they already have released, eg. Chatserv's security patches. My point is that he could very easily release diff's. But, I wouldn't hold my breath ....

Anubis_The_Jackal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:04 am Reply with quote

could you make a package of just the updated files? or would that be asking too much?

because ive decided to wait untill 7.5 before I update again. or 8.0. Ill just wait it out untill it becomes so needed that my site screams bloody murder.

karakas
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:45 am Reply with quote

Well, I don't understand why you are blaming FB here only.

FB has a Club. Members of this Club pay $10/month. For what? For the privilege to get the latest PHP-Nuke release as soon as it is ready and not with 1 month delay, as the rest of the world.

Now, imagine that FB releases new versions as they are really needed, say one every 3 months. Then what are the members of those two months think, when no releases were available?

That they are paying without getting anything back.

They would go. The Club would lose members.

Thus, FB is caught prisoner of his own "business model". He *must* bring at least one new version per month, at all costs.

I don't have a problem with that. I have used my brains and understood the consequences of such a model. I thus get new versions *only* when I *really* need them.

You must ask yourself the uncomfortable question: "why am I downloading release after release, month after month, without thinking a bit about the meaning of all this release orgy? Do I need the latest and greatest?"

FB is trying to earn some money. If the users behave like lemmings, then the users should not complain and blame it on FB.

storebuilder
PHP-Portal Project

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:12 pm Reply with quote

Good point Karakas and I'm glad you made it - because I was starting to question my sanity Laughing

There is a tremendous amount of work going into updating a broken release with another broken release and then applying loads of patches.

Once you have a working version and it does what you need and is reasonably secure then why bother upgrading?

Jackal, stick with the version you have and make sure you have the latest patches. From my point of view it's more important that the CMS you are running can not be hacked easily.

more and more attempts are made on my site every week.

Does anyone have a good use for my small but growing collection of banned IP's?

Anubis_The_Jackal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 4:33 pm Reply with quote

heck, if someone has tried on mine i would not know.

Lateron
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Anubis_The_Jackal wrote:
heck, if someone has tried on mine i would not know.

I can't recommend more highly Protector:

http://protector.warcenter.se/

Anubis_The_Jackal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:41 pm Reply with quote

I have it Wink its just that no one has ever trid anything, or i havent found out about it.

Lateron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:54 pm Reply with quote

I have had several attempts on my sites this week. I found out by using the protector > settings > mail admin function. When protector automatically banned the IP it also let me know by email.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic