Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
mrbilly
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote

just another small problem with my new RavenNuke76 v2.02.02 Distro website.

when a registered website user enters their msnm or yim or icq information, then clicks the 'save changes' button, if the information they entered is longer than 25 charachters, the information saved is curtailed to only 25 characters.

for, for example, if I enter the msnm information as
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

the information saved and displayed is

does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix for this?

kenwood
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:50 am Reply with quote

Its in your database
Tabel: nuke_users
user_msnm varchar(25)
user_yim varchar(25)
user_icq varchar(15)

And in the index.php file from YOUR_ACCOUNT under function edituser
In the cnbya its in the the edituser.php file

mrbilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote

hi kenwood....i have not yet installed cnbya, so will leave that out of the issue for the moment, (so not to complicate the matter). i am not sure about how to modify my database....i am using the myphpadmin thing and am currently logged into it...what should i do to upgrade my database for this problem to go?

gregexp
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:06 am Reply with quote

yes go into ur table settings and change from limit 25 to whatever limit u like...varchar should do the trick for u if the format is problematic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote

sql and the tables and everything is 'foreign' to me and i know u can mess everything up very badly if u do mess around with this and get it wrong.

i am not sure where this change to 25 chould be made and where you write 'varchar should do the trick',, i am not sure what you mean by 'varchar '.
Sad

mrbilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote

hey.....darklord.....I done it!!!!!......i made a backup of my database first though........i found the table in the myphpadmin and edited it from the number 25 to 50......IT WORKS HONEY!!!..........

is most of the changes for sql THAT easy? worship :clap: Dance-Y

gregexp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote

most changes are that easy...its easy to do it...its just as easy to mess somethin up..but getting confortable with the database is a GOOD thing...for those who would like to know how...heres a brief tutorial

first go into phpmyadmin and select ur database

Then do this: Image

Hope this helps

mrbilly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote

hey darklord, this is all makeing sence and is a great start to understanding how (easy it can be ) to change the database structure.

I did just try to change a field without luck though.

I trued changing the 'nuke_users' table called 'user sig'. it is presently set to 255 and i tried increasing this without success. have i done something wrong?...I seem to think imay have heard or read that 255 is the maximumn number of characters allowed in a field (or certain fields). is this correct or have i done something wrong etc?

Also, I wonder if the other seperate issue I have raised at the following link is a table related issue/problem...any ideas?...

gregexp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote

varchar has a max of 255..only thing left is text...problem is text allows a user to fill in an input field(only what its assigned to) and it will show..no matter if it takes up the screen or just 3 lines long.

Be carefull and wise....im sure varchar has other benefits but im not sure.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:35 am Reply with quote

There are definitely some things to consider before changing field lengths:

1) You have to potentially change the table field (as you are seeing here).

You need to keep the "type" consistent with the previous, so in this case, I believe varchar to text would work technically speaking. Since text can be so much larger, the addressing/overhead is a bit more than varchar, although each, I believe is variable-width, so possibly minimal increase in storage PER row.

2) You potentially have to change HTML code in case there is a "maxlength" setting on the input field in the form field definition. One can use an INPUT type or TEXTAREA with either varchar or text, but I would seriously consider TEXTAREA for anything of any real size. Users hate to have their text input scroll endlessly to the right... Laughing

3) PHP code may have to change if there is a check on the length of the field.

Hope that helps somewhat....

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic