Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
RifleMan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:48 am Reply with quote

Hi guys, Me again,
I have a question. I have been having a couple of "members" regestering with the website however they are not coming up on the "latest member" or in the "membership List"

I know they are not legit members as first of they showed up as being from russia now they some up as being from South Korea.
They use the same name every time with numbers after them. Like vasily5671 and alex6570.
they are going thru the "Your account new user" and then the "Your account" with out even going to the index.php/home page first.

How are they doing this / how can I stop then besides blocking IP's as they seem to be going around this. And has anyone else had this done to them?

Cheer
Coops

jakec
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:18 am Reply with quote

What are they actually doing once they log in?

Are you using a YA mod, like CNB YA, or Approve Membership?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote

From everything else that has been posted in the forums here recently, this sounds like automated bots registering.
There does not seem to be a clear definitve way of defeating this at the moment but some things you may consider;
Temporarily turning on account authorisation through admin instead of user
Ensure security graphic check is enable for ALL
Banning their email address' in Forum Admin -User Admin -> Ban Control

jakec

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:32 am Reply with quote

Guardian is probably right.

It could be that the bot is registering then going to YA to try and log in, but because the account has not been activated yet they can't log in and therefore they won't appear in the membership list.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:42 am Reply with quote

Actually I may have missed the point of your post - thanks jakec for the hint Wink

Provided you have registration set to 'user' when new users register, their details are held in the nuke_temp_users table until they click on the activation link in the confirmation email that is sent out, at which time they get moved to nuke_users and their account becomes active.
If users are registering but not getting added to the memberlist there are several explanations;
1. They did not use the activation link within 24 hours of the confirmation email being sent.
2. They did not get the confirmation email (and therefore 1 above applies)
3. The email address they provided was invalid (1 and 2 above applies)
4. The registration was done through some automated process so 1 and 2 above SHOULD apply.

jakec

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote

You explained it so much better! Wink

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Just so you know, the link between Forums Ban Control and registration isn't there by default. You have to tweak it to do that.

RifleMan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote

Hey guys... sorry for the time its taken for me to reply.
Had to do a reformat on the PC. :S

Anyway. I think You guys might be right. I'm thinking that they are Bots.

However I have deleted thier accounts and removed them from all parts of the website/membership.

But they are still getting into the YA and logging in. But they still don't show up anywhere.
I don't understand it. But they only visit YA and new sign ups.

Cheers
Coops

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote

This is probably because they are using an invalid email address and not therefore getting the 'activation link' in the email or the amil itself (which they wouldnt if it was a bot).
As a consequence they should remain in the nuke_users_temp table.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic