Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
diveanx

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:57 pm Reply with quote

I ahe noticed (mainly on people using AOL) that alot of times people taht sign up for a Nuke site, dont get a confirmation email or it gets caught in a Spam Blocker.

I was wondering if there is anyway to tweak the outgoing confirmation email so it is not picked up as Spam????

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote

There is a significant difference between users not getting the email at all and users getting the email which is recieved in their spambox.

You might want to start of looking at the various spamlists to see if your server IP is listed. It may be that if your server is blacklisted, emails are being permanently blocked.

diveanx

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 pm Reply with quote

I dont think that is the issue because I ahve seen this with many different servers and host and it most of the time seems to be people that have used the browser inside of AOL.

People that have had this problem, I have cleared the temp Nuke user part of teh database and they have used IE or Firefox outside of AOL and received the email with no problems.

Like I said, it dont effect everyone just a few.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 2:03 am Reply with quote

The only way I can see that a users choice of browser would stop them getting an email is if the broweser security settings were preventing variables being posted on the form, so that would affect every website they visited not just phpNuke sites.

As you have said that you have had to clear the nuke users temp table, this would indicate that the form was working and posting the variables to the database and thus eliminating any browser specific problems - which leads us back to the beginning.

I can only think of two possible causes for this issue and neither of them are phpNuke related.

1. Your host is having intermittent issues (connectivity or high load) which is preventing email from being sent. You might be able to pinpoint this by using the smtp mail settings in the forum configuration - if users have no problems recieving 'topic reply notification' emails that should rule out mail server issues but leave a question mark over the php mail() function or server load issues.

2. Sent mail is being blocked - you might need to investigate further whether the mail is being sent to an AOL email address in order to try and eliminate whether it is AOL blocking the mail or whether it is AOL stupid browser that is doing stuff it shouldn't.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic