Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro
wolfear
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:44 pm Reply with quote

I wasn't sure where else to post this or if it has even been an issue for anyone else and already posted. I did a search and couldn't find it.
There are several files in the "import" folder with commas in the file names.
It's no biggie for me to fix as I now know where to look from dealing with previous releases, but I thought it might be helpful information for someone else as I would get a "Critical Error" message when using my FTP (FileZilla) to upload to my webhost.
This can also occassionally cause FileZilla to throw a tantrum and kick back a large number of other files as well.

Just a heads up, not a complaint. Only reason I posted was I just downloaded the 2.02.02 and noticed they were still there.
The files are:
Congo,_Democratic....
Congo,_Peoples....
Korea,_South...
Samoa,_American
Virgin_Islands,_American
Virgin_Islands,_British

Love the work and look forward to more.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Why in the world does FZ care? Isn't there a setting somewhere? When you FTP, it's not the job of the client to police the content. I'd switch ftp clients if that's not resolvable. Thanks for posting this. I will make it a sticky.

wolfear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote

I did a quick eyeball of my settings in FZ and don't see a setting for non-standard file names. Might be an issue with my host.
I'm not techy enough to know for sure.
Either way, I'm glad that I can't change a setting to use a non-standard, even by accident. It has saved me many a typo in the past.
Did a 3 tests using the original files. First 2 went fine, minus the "comma" files but on the last, either my host or FZ kicked back not only those files but 23 others which were fine. Cleared my queue of the culprits and all the rest tranferred with no probs. Have no clue what this means.
Not wanting to argue as you are way more knowledgable in these areas than I. I only posted my experiences.
Love it so far and look forward to the excitement of incorporating everything using RN.

RavensScripts

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote

wolfear - does your host make a control panel available toy you for creating databases etc?
You may find that if you have one, there may also be a 'file manager' which would allow you to upload files to your web space.
Whilst I don't recommend anyone actually use these 'file manager' tools, it may help to determine whether it is a host issue or your ftp client.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:31 am Reply with quote

Raven, are these commas really necessary for the import tool to work? Is this something we should change? Let me know and I can add it to our tracker. It does seem a little odd to me to use commas when underscores would have sufficed.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote

Bob designed those to help as a separator. Needed? Possibly. He could be using them as a marker to do an explode() on the comma to separate. I guess Bob would have to answer as to whether they are needed for anything but clarification. The point, though, is still that FZ is handling them wrong. This is not a data issue. It's an issue with either FZ ot the way FZ is set up.

wolfear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote

Guardian: I use phpMyAdmin for database work. Our host does have a file manager with upload and it will not accept the commas either.

Raven: I concur, there is nothing wrong with the data. Everything works beautifully whether the commas are there or not, as i know from a local install in which the file name was immaterial.
Wasn't trying to start anything, just pointing out an oddity. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote

wolfear, Nothing to be sorry for and you did not give the wrong impression. Try transferring the files as binary instead of text. I bet there's a setting that says if protocol is 'text', use comma as a separator, thinking it's a CSV text file.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote

My reply was simply to see if we needed/wanted to make a change of that in a future RN76 release. Didn't mean to "start anything" either. Wink

By the way, neither Raven or myself took it that way. We just both believe in continuous improvement.

Regards

wolfear

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quote

Just wanted to post an update on this:
Apparently this is a Yahoo web hosting issue. I guess they are more picky about file names than I thought.

We are putting up a new site on a different host and I lost my original zip package so downloaded new one, unpacked and uploaded with no problems, even though the commas are still there.

Hope this helps somebody else.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:12 pm Reply with quote

I just looked at the 2.5.x downloads that I had and in the import folder, the commas on the files are gone. You must be using an older version of the files...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.02.02 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic