Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.x Distro
craigmack
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Ok my second attempt unsucessful to install gt-nextgen first was when gt-nextgen still had a site and second today. Is there an easy to understand guide? I just don't get this install instead of just a readme im finding before install, install, and text files everywhere my brain fried. Is there plans for adding googletap to ravennuke or plans for an updated version?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote

Some form of url re-writing may very well be included in a future release but as far as I am aware there is no specific date or version number which we anticipate it being included in.
The main reason for that is that it does require extensive testing and fixes to already acknowledged bugs.
There is also the issue of altering the core nuke modules tables which we would prefer not to do - Montego is already working on one possible to solution to that specific issue.

craigmack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Ok i can try to install but the readme's confuse me, this is my take on the install i can't check at the gt-nextgen site because it don't work,
files to edit
header.php
footer.php
modules.php
.htaccess
admin\modules\modules.php
sessions.php

Upload GoogleTap folder
Do i have to edit every block and module to point to the html files? The instructions are very confusing

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:45 pm Reply with quote

I am not at home right now to check but if I remember correctly......
Edit;
header.php
footer.php
modules.php
.htaccess
Upload the Googletap directory

The session.php should not need editing.
You should only need to edit the admin/modules/modules.php file if you are using the database modification that holds the new html url's
Personally, I prefer NOT to alter the nuke_modules table so i did not edit that file or alter the table - instead I rely on my sitemaps for search engine crawling.

craigmack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote

ok now all i have left is the blocks folder now if i don't want to replace my blocks with the one's provided then i have to edit every block file to reflect on the html path? Do i have to edit any modules other then advantgo? And how about the 4a update should i install this?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote

I wouldnt bother with the 4a update. I think this was released to fix one specific issue.
You could modify any of the core block files to reflect the new html path using the ones included in the distro as examples, also I think Montego has some replacement hacks on his site at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] you might want to look at.

It is NOT essential to modify the blocks files - the reason for editing them to show the html path is purely for search engines indexing and consistency. I personally prefer to use my sitemaps for this as I do not have to worry about accidentaly over writing a block file during site updates etc.

craigmack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Ok i think i kinda figured out who this gt-nextgen works. Just have a few questions first when i install this gt does it automatically change all my php links to html? It changed a few links but wasn't everytime. My take on this is install gt-nextgen then go thru all my files and change the links to html.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote

You might want to wait for the next Raven Nuke release before doing this so you don't get totally bogged down with it. Wink

craigmack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:29 pm Reply with quote

You said gt-nextgen might be included in the next raven nuke, i would like to learn this i don't mind changing links if i have to but i need to know after installing gt if that has to be done or does gt-nextgen automatically change them? I appreciate the help you have giving me.

craigmack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:08 am Reply with quote

Ok nevermind my last post i have done alot of searching after that post and have a real good understanding about gt-nextgen now but i have a problem, in the admin modules tweak it says to make a new row

Code:

Add a row at the end with the following characteristics
Field/name: url
Type: varchar
Length: 255
Null: null
Default: NULL

I did that next it says to edit this in admin/modules/modules.php
Code:

Find:
   sql_query("insert into ".$prefix."_modules values (NULL, '$modlist[$i]', '$modlist[$i]', '0', '0', '1')", $dbi);
Replace With:
   sql_query("insert into ".$prefix."_modules values (NULL, '$modlist[$i]', '$modlist[$i]', '0', '0', '1', NULL)", $dbi);

Now i realize this code is old in ravennuke i have this code in my admin/modules/modules.php with the edit for gt
Code:

sql_query("insert into " . $prefix . "_modules values (NULL, '$modlist[$i]', '$modlist[$i]', '0', '0', '', '1', '0', '', NULL)");

When i go to edit modules in admin and enter the proper html for the module it doesn't save it to the database with this edit.

Could somebody using 7.6 and gt-nextgen post the admin/modules/modules.php code so i could do this edit.
Thanks

dirtbag
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 1:38 pm Reply with quote

yeah google tapping already incorporated would be a very useful feature... the crawlers love the .html

but the main thing i have noticed with the web engines is they really base there searches off the page TITLES so i been manually tweaking my site so it displays say the news story or download title first in the PAGE TITLE..

make sense and the searches are way more accurate i have noticed and pulled up the proper pages as before i get pages found and the links had nothing to do with the search...

and whats the thoughts on that NUKESEO sitemap sort of deal??

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:06 am Reply with quote

Yep... happening as we "speak". It will be in the next release. Sorry, I don't have a firm date. All I know is Raven is asking us to be ready to go into QA by June 1.

dirtbag

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 2:16 pm Reply with quote

sounds great for now i guess i manually been tweaking all my Page Titles... for each individual module

viper155
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote

Ive had my site up for about three years and if you search for the term Mike Tyson on yahoo im on the second page, #13. Im also #1 for diff keyword searches.

#1 on other search engines such as MSN also.

I dont have any html urls and my rankings on yahoo are great and getting better everytime I add news.

Im guessing everyone is making there urls html for google?

montego

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:22 am Reply with quote

Depending upon who you talk to, the answer is either "it doesn't matter" or "it made all the difference in the world". Bottom line is that since 50% want it and 50% don't care either way, we're going to make it available if folks want to "turn it on". Smile

dirtbag

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote

it makes a difference with google... i have done many test and found it makes difference yahoo seems to do a better job... but put in the nukeseo with the sitemap and will see how that works out ..

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.x Distro

View next topic
View previous topic