Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro
twister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:08 am Reply with quote

Need some advice please, hope this is the right forum to use.

Currently using phpnuke 7.8 patched 3.2

After being hacked 5 times in the last week and last night within an hour of installing 7.8 patched 3.2, i am at my wits end what to do. After reading loads of forums and websites about the many vulnerabilities in phpnuke 7.7+ i have decided that my best option is to go back to 7.6 and hope that solves my problem.

I am torn between using ravens 7.6v2 distro or using this version
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

How easy is it to downgrade from 7.8 to 7.6 and what are the pitfalls, i only have about 400 users but i would hate to have to get every one to re register and re-install all our modules and blocks.

With the intrusions that have happened so far only to my mainfile.php and index.php filehave been affected will the intruders have got any admin passwords from my sql files do i need to delete my admin users only 2 and re-create them.

Sorry for the long winded post but i just dont know whick way to turn.

Thanks

Twister

daemon
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:59 am Reply with quote

there is no question you should be using rn76 Smile

check this out
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

twister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote

Guys i have found out how i was hacked, i can only assume using the bugs in 7.8 the managed to upload a trojan onto our site, which gave them virtual shell access to our server.

Keep an eye open for two files

VB_hack.php
log.php

both files are approx 159k in size the are a shell program called c99shell, do a google search and you will find out all about them.

Can i advise others to look out for these files if they are getting hacked continusly.

Twister

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:34 am Reply with quote

Well figuring out what they uploaded is a good step, but figuring out how they got in is more critical. Use access logs to determine what files they accessed and what vulnerabilities they've used

Was your site Patched? And using Sentinel?

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
twister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:10 am Reply with quote

I had patched it and added sentinel, but the trojan was still in place after i had patched it, so they were still able to get in. I am downgrading to 7.6 today and have removed all of the files that the hackers loaded, i will open my site back up tonight and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Twister

daemon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:31 pm Reply with quote

rn76?

twister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:55 pm Reply with quote

No it was a heavily modded version of 7.8

I did how ever make sure i updated all of the modules that had security problems, so my initial problem could have been a rouge module not just phpnuke 7.8

So today i have downgraded my site to rn76 with sentinel working and updated all my modules, re inserted all my edits to language files etc.

I am at last happy that my site is more secure.

The update was easy to do, took some time but went along without any hitches.

Thanks raven for the hard work you have done with this package and i will be making my contribution for rn7.6 well worth it.

Twister

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote

twister - was this a virgin 7.8 install you were using or had you installed any additional modules such as file upload mods, chat mods, gallery mods etc?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic