Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro
Latebalazoo
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:25 pm Reply with quote

Hello!

I have a problem with the .htaccess file. When I change the name with my ftp client, the ravennuke works fine. but when I put back the .htaccess name like it should be, the nuke won't work.

Regards, Late

Hope that it the right forum Very Happy

daemon
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:23 pm Reply with quote

.htaccess for http auth
Code:

# -------------------------------------------
# Start of NukeSentinel(tm) admin.php Auth
<Files .ftaccess>
  deny from all
</Files>

<Files .staccess>
  deny from all
</Files>

if your using cgi auth you can use the one supplied. make sure you setup your .staccess when you get it sorted.

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:39 am Reply with quote

Well this is what it looks like at the moment:

Code:
Options All -Indexes

DirectoryIndex index.php index.htm index.html

# Start of NukeSentinel(tm) admin.php Auth
<Files .ftaccess>
  deny from all
</Files>

<Files .staccess>
  deny from all
</Files>

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Leave this block commented out unless HTTPAuth is NOT available in your NukeSentinel(tm) Admin Panel.
# This code is mainly for use with CGI Authentication and most servers do not require it.
# -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# <Files admin.php>
#    <Limit GET POST PUT>
#       require valid-user
#    </Limit>
#    AuthName "Restricted"
#    AuthType Basic
#   AuthUserFile /path/to/your/.staccess
# </Files>

# Start of NukeSentinel(tm) DENY FROM area

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:38 am Reply with quote

Latebalazoo, which method are you using: HTTPAuth or CGIAuth? For HTTPAuth your .htaccess file should only have the following in it:

Options All -Indexes

For CGIAuth, you need to follow the instructions exactly as provided in the RavenNuke76 HowToInstall manual. This is a RavenNuke76 installation right?

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote

LOL... Tbh, I have no idea Very Happy

Yes, it is RavenNuke 7.6 vers.2... The part about HTTPAuth or CGIAuth is a mystery to me... I still a noob with all this technical stuff Embarassed

montego

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:14 am Reply with quote

The first page of the NukeSentinel configuration has a drop down field called "Admin Auth" (about half-way down the page), what do you have that set to?

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:38 am Reply with quote

The admin auth is at OFF

Should I change it to HTTP?

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote

If I put HTTPAuth and rename the file like it should be, it give me again the ERROR 500

Anyone?

Another thing... Is the site secure if I put it up with this .htaccess problem? Or should I wait to resolve this? Meaning that the .htaccess file will be called something else?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:49 pm Reply with quote

A 500 error would seem to indicate there is either a problem with your htaccess file or your hosting environment will not allow them.

Have you used a htaccess file on your site before? If you have and it did not cause a problem, then it is likely to be a problem with the file itself.

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote

I contacted my webhost and got this answer two days ago:

The "Internal Server Error" is caused by a .htaccess file, which contains
faulty or illegal directives. If you remove this .htacces file (located in
the phpnuke directory), then the error will disappear.

So I think that the problem is the htaccess file. I think that if the hosting environment wont allow it, they would have said it.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:10 pm Reply with quote

Agreed.
If you have your original zipped download, unzip it into another location so you do not get it mixed up with the riginal and re upload the .htaccess file.
Or if you PM me your ftp log-in I can drop one in there for you.

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:11 pm Reply with quote

yes i helped him yesterday to install ravennuke,the rest was upto him.
as i noticed that the standard htaccess rules pulls his site down into internal server error i suggested to ask this to raven...

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:18 am Reply with quote

hitwalker wrote:
yes i helped him yesterday to install ravennuke,the rest was upto him.
as i noticed that the standard htaccess rules pulls his site down into internal server error i suggested to ask this to raven...

Thanks hitwalker for the help you gave me... and I did as you suggested, but raven told me to put it on the forum Crying or Very sad

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:31 am Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:
Agreed.
If you have your original zipped download, unzip it into another location so you do not get it mixed up with the riginal and re upload the .htaccess file.
Or if you PM me your ftp log-in I can drop one in there for you.

I tried it but it doen't help it either Sad

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote

I think you will need to contact your host explaining that a great many people are using this .htaccess file without any problems so the chances of it contained illegal or incorrect directives are very remote.

I think the problem lies with your host.

Have you tried deleting everything from inside the .htaccess file (so it is completely blank) and using that?
I appreciate it won't do anything but it will rule out the fact that your host may not allow the use of .htaccess

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:
I think you will need to contact your host explaining that a great many people are using this .htaccess file without any problems so the chances of it contained illegal or incorrect directives are very remote.

I think the problem lies with your host.

Have you tried deleting everything from inside the .htaccess file (so it is completely blank) and using that?
I appreciate it won't do anything but it will rule out the fact that your host may not allow the use of .htaccess

I tried it with a blank .htaccess and I don't get the error.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote

In that case, just try it with this inside
Code:
Options All -Indexes 

If that produces an error just remove that code then make sure that the .htaccess has the properties set (CHMOD) to 777 then try importing a country range with Sentinel to 'Blocked Ranges' and see what happens.
It may be that some htaccess directives are not allowed on your server due to how the host has configured the server but at least if we know you can ban IP addresses, that would be good.

The use of .htaccess is not essential to getting Raven Nuke working, it will work without it but it would be nice to know 'why' you are having this problem.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:21 am Reply with quote

montego wrote:
Latebalazoo, which method are you using: HTTPAuth or CGIAuth? For HTTPAuth your .htaccess file should only have the following in it:

Options All -Indexes

For CGIAuth, you need to follow the instructions exactly as provided in the RavenNuke76 HowToInstall manual. This is a RavenNuke76 installation right?

Like I said, if you use HTTPAuth, this is all you should have in your .htaccess file. If the above works (which is essentially what Guardian has suggested as well) and you are getting protection on the admin.php file (i.e., it pops up and requires a userid/password), then it is working correctly.

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote

This is what I've tried so far:

Options All -Indexes

Options All -Indexes

With an empty .htaccess

Two first ones gives me still the Error 500 but the last one doesn't

montego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:33 am Reply with quote

Ok, that has made it pretty clear to me that your web host is not allowing .htaccess. I would show them your file from option 2 (which is pretty standard and NOTHING that should be causing an issue) and ask them why they do not allow this or can they open that up.

If they refuse, I'd find another host because that is rediculous and lazy on their part.

hlarledge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote

I know know if this is related or will help at all, but...

I ran into similar problems with my host, but I was getting a message within Sentinel that said Sys Globals was not on. Contacting the site, I got the following directions...

"You can turn the register globals to be on, by creating a custom php.ini for the directory where the script is residing and putting the following lines in it:

register_globals=On
session.save_path=/tmp

Bare in mind however, that we are running php in SuExec mode and the apache authentication module is not available in that case.

Should you have any other questions or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us."

Following their directions, my problems went away.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:38 am Reply with quote

Interesting that they are allowing you to use a custom php.ini but not .htaccess. Makes little sense to me, but then again, web hosting is not my forte.

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:49 am Reply with quote

I sent them a email. Let's see what happens.

I think that in Mambo and Joomla! there is htaccess, isn't it? Because those worked well. In the same host.

Anyway, let's wait what my host is going to say Very Happy

Latebalazoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote

This is the reply I got from them:

The 'DirectoryIndex' directive is already specified globally in the exact
same order, so there is no need to redeclare it. The directive 'Options
All -Indexes' would allow the contents of a directory to be listed, which
would make your site unsecure. This is disabled globally for serverwide
security.

So it seems that I have disturbed you all for nothing. I am so sorry Sad

EDIT: does this mean that my site is still not secure? I really don't want to have a new hacked site Crying or Very sad

montego

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:46 am Reply with quote

If they do not want you to use that directive than just leave it out. Are you saying .htaccess and HTTPAuth is now working for you?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic