Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.x Distro
hinksta
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote

I've read that Google prefers a short descriptive URL.

This made me think it would be better to have a topic or category name rather than a number in the URL.
Is this possible?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

I would think that having dynamic titles and then ensuring that your relevant links and images have corresponding "title" or "alt" tags. But, I am certainly no expert.

If you wish to pursue, you will need to be very careful to ensure that your re-write rules can easily strip out the necessary "nodes" of information to get back the appropriate URL. For example, imagine what would happen if your category name had a dash "-" in it? Wink

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote

I should imagine that getting a 'keyword' into a url may offer an advantage over a number or series of numbers Wink

montego

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:42 am Reply with quote

Guardian2003, I agree, just be careful to do it RIGHT.

Steptoe
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote

What happens if there are 2 with the same name?
ie "my parrot is sick" or 'newbie needs help with'
Numbers and dynamic titles work fine with SEs and if well into their parameters.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
What happens if there are 2 with the same name?
ie "my parrot is sick" or 'newbie needs help with'

I have not as yet had the good fortune to stumble across any “my parrot is sick” topics or categories. Wink

Is this about messing with a-z rather than 0-9 or is it just way over my head?

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote

I think what Steptoe was inferring was that you would have to consider the sceanrio of two users, posting in the same forum with the same subject title to ensure that both formed a unique url

hinksta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:13 pm Reply with quote

Sorry.

I see my error. when I say topic or category I mean category or sub category.

Steptoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:27 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

I have not as yet had the good fortune to stumble across any “my parrot is sick”

LMAO
hmmm this close enough? ROTFL [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I tend to edit many tiltles

hinksta

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:47 pm Reply with quote

Well blow me down with a penny whistle.

Glad to read Ollie is on the mend

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:15 pm Reply with quote

Hi hinksta,

When you say "prefers," what do you mean? Do you mean in terms of deciding whether or not to index the page or in terms of ranking the page? Some say it helps saturation (the number of pages indexed), but few support the idea that it helps ranking. There are too many fake domains with lots of lovely keywords built in...

hinksta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:50 am Reply with quote

Quote:
When you say "prefers," what do you mean? Do you mean in terms of deciding whether or not to index the page or in terms of ranking the page?

Not specific no either. It just seems to be a subject that keeps cropping up, coupled with the fact that whenever you do a google search, url’s including the search term saturate the top pages regardless of the relevant content included on the site.

Quote:
There are too many fake domains with lots of lovely keywords built in...

If having descriptive url’s helps in any way it’s got to be worth it.

My site has been up for about 3 months, msn never seems to stop visiting but google is a different mater, I’ve gt’d added dynamic titles installed your fantastic nukeseo, submitted the sitemap and still google only list’s my home page. At submitexpress my title, description and keywords all get 100%. Last night I submitted a gt’d static sitemap to google, so fingers a crossed.

guidyy
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote

I think i had to wait much more than 3 month to have something listed in google.
Funny how MSN pretty much ignore my site, while i have at least a hundred of yahoo bots hanging around everyday..
I actually doubt that crawling indexing, and ranking is a science. I'm getting convinced you need a very hig dose of fortune! LOL
Guido

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:21 am Reply with quote

Thanks, hinksta. Obviously I'm very interested in this topic and there has been much discussion here about that. Just to clarify, short urls seem to help indexing / saturation, not necessarily descriptive urls.

My experience has been that having a Google sitemap really helps with saturation, especially for a Nuke site. But having dynamic titles, tag titles and META tags that match the content of the page helps increase position and, more importantly, traffic since it's easier for people to find specific content in Google.

Guido, remember that software robots crawl, index and rank your site, not humans. Humans manipulate that software, but it's probably more science than art... One can definitely take steps to improve a site's rankings, but it does take effort - or lots of money to buy advertising, which is a short-term fix. True SEO efforts pay dividends over a much longer period of time.

Without knowing exactly how the search engines work, we are left with the empirical evidence offered by others willing to discuss it. Furthermore, the engines change. That's why it's important to participate in these discussions.

guidyy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

Well,
I'll give you a little example:

Google ranks me at 1st and 2nd place for this keyword: "Recipes Figi" (with quotation)
and show this urls from my site: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Can someone explain me WHY Question

I also noticed we do not even have a figi (aged tofu) recipe at all, so i really do not get it. Moreover if you search for recipe figi (with no quotation) we are not listed at all Confused

another issue: after i submitted my sitemap, google search site:www.yummyfood.net, reporded (till yesterday) up to 49.000 pages.
Today it says 4530
My latest sitemap is 2243 urls

I'd love to have a scientific explanation! Very Happy
Guido

kguske

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:33 am Reply with quote

We'd all love to have simple explanations... It could be that the robot picked up Fiji from a Yahoo ad, which you display on your page. It may disappear after the next pass by the robots.

But you'll never get any explanation unless someone violates a contract by disclosing the internals of how Google's rankings work. The point is not to leave your rankings to chance or luck.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

Yeah, I have pretty much given up on Google. Even with my submitted and verified sitemap, I review its crawl and other statistics, and it gives a specific search criteria example that IT says bring my site up to number 2 in the list. I click on their exact search phrase link, and I am buried several pages down.

I have grown to really despise Google. All the other major search engines have me right up at the top. I have no idea what I did to piss off Google...
Bang Head

hinksta

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:19 am Reply with quote

Code:
IT says bring my site up to number 2 in the list. I click on their exact search phrase link, and I am buried several pages down

same here, my search phrase was 11 after i got to page 15 i gave up looking.

guidyy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:31 am Reply with quote

I'm glad i'm not alone Very Happy
But being first for something is not even on the site is outstanding!

montego

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote

Yeah, in my own personal opinion, Google has really messed things up... but, that is just a personal, non-expert, SEO opinion! Laughing

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote

I think the answer lies in the Google basement, behind a door with a bronze plaque that read "Marketing".
If you put your ear to the door you can probably hear a conversation like
Employee 1 "I wish there was a way to get more people to invest in adwords"
Employee 2 "Yeah, we could make even more money"
Employee 1 picks up the bat phone "Hello, is that the tech department? Is there a way to periodically screw up everyones ranking...."

guidyy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Just for the records

I'm back to "normal" Rolling Eyes
site:http://www.yummyfood.net
Results 1 - 10 of about 45,900 from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I'm speechless....
Guido

montego

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote

guidyy, ok, so what "magic wand" did you wave? Confused

guidyy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote

I wish I could see that in my bank account LOL
Put in 2000 and find you have 49.000 would be very nice! Dance-Y

hinksta

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote

Google has given my gt'd xml sitemap a clean bill of health, I'll just have to wait and see if they want to list the pages.

Back to descriptive url's.
For safety it should only be done on categories and sub categories etc.
Got any ideas how to do this?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.x Distro

View next topic
View previous topic