Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
Marcus B

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote

I everyone,

I've been looking on the forums to find some answers, but could'nt find really the right answer...

I've been watching the PHPNuke community for a while. I was looking for a CMS that I could install for some of my "sole owner/operator" clients, who need a way to maintain their WEB sites.

I locally installed RN76 and made some tests and it's very powerful with all the functions it provides.

I live in Quebec, where French and English are mandatory.

My first question is how can I provide a easy way for the site operator to change the block titles with both french and english. I installed Sommaire Parametrable, and it's not so easy for someone who doesn't understand coding, to change the links and titles (having to change the lang:_...) for french, english..
I also plan to implement GoogleIt and I'm not sure how it will react with the Sommaire (when redirecting to a link like /module?...)

So my first idea is to provide it throught the Modules ADmin, where you have the Title and Custom Title of the block.
How can I change the code to use Title when language is set to english and Custom Tilte when lang is set to french???

My second question is how can I determine the order of the content that the site owner will provide. I think that actually, it is sorted by date. What if I want to put an older topic or news in the first row???

My third question is regarding the search area: How can it be set to search trought the entire site by default? Actually I think it is set to search partially, as it does not find the info I've entered...

Fourth, when I installed RN, I noticed that when you want to change the language, french is listed as "french" in the pull down, where in french, we say "Francais". I manually copied every lang_french in lang_francais so it appears OK in the pulldown. Everything seems to be working for the content already in the DB, but I'm asking if I should modify somthing else for sevurity - efficiency reasons???

Also, I entered some content to be published in french and some to be published in french and the admin does not keep the info, so it publishes in both langages... Where should I look???

If the site owner does not want to use the Forum part, users functionalities or even reviews, can I simply NOT upload them to the server and in doing so, keeping the site even more secure for having less possible entries???

Thanks everyone!

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:02 pm Reply with quote

A lot of questions. I don't run a multilingual site, so I'll try my best

1) Block titles are hard-coded into the database. I don't know if there's an easy way for you to change them.

2) Ditto module titles, hard-coded in the database

3) You are correct that the built-in search only searches some modules. Better off using Google search for everything on your site

4) I believe that should work. You shouldn't have to edit anything else

5) Can you show us what exactly you are doing? If we can duplicate this problem, then we can begin to debug it.

6) Yes, you don't have to use all the module files. I warn you about removing the Your_Account module though - it has links throughout the system. Probably not a good idea to remove it. News and Topics are linked. Not sure how many others have links between modules, those are the ones off-the-top

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:13 pm Reply with quote

I've had the same issues with block and module titles for a french/english site for an immersion science teacher. My only workaround was to name the blocks something that would mean the same in both languages or create blocks to be only used for French or only for English. Then I created a custom module/menu block for each language.

My nuke wish list would include a "Canadian nuke" which would hopefully solve many of these bilingual issues.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:07 pm Reply with quote

** I realized after I wrote this that some of it is a repeat of CodyG's post, but decided to just leave it in to give more specifics**

Ok, although I have never personally done it, if the multi-lingual feature is turned on in the Preferences admin tool, each block can be added and assigned to a language. You can have a custom title on each block. The way around not allowing the same block file to be on the same site is to simply create a copy of the one and give it an extension like "_fr".

I cannot find a way to change the modules titles as these are hard-coded, but, then again, you CAN create clones of modules, but you have to be especially careful to modify the case.php, links.php and index.php scripts in the module's admin folder (assuming that is where it is). I have seen this done alot with manuals.

Steptoe
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

My first question is how can I provide a easy way for the site operator to change the block titles with both french and english. I installed Sommaire Parametrable, and it's not so easy for someone who doesn't understand coding, to change the links and titles (having to change the lang:_...) for french, english..

Nuke translation is hopless...somethingt that could be looked into later
Quote:

My third question is regarding the search area: How can it be set to search trought the entire site by default? Actually I think it is set to search partially, as it does not find the info I've entered...

Again something missing baddly

Have a look at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] on the left a block QuickSearch
We have multi language ppl on our site, I solved the problem, and search issues with that block...once the site is transalted it 'carries on' when going to new pages, eg forums.
Then once in forums, open a topic (also there when reply/new topic is made) at the bottom a crude translation window.
The quicksearch block works with RN 76 I havnt tried the forum translation hack
If this is what u want or fill in till u find what u want..let me know and I will send to u. Most of the blocks on the site are custom and have not been released at all

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:04 am Reply with quote

Perhaps the guys at NukeKorea have a better solution ? I know they've dealt with a lot of multilingual integration issues with the forums

dcasmr
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am very much interested in adding a French translation to certain key components of my sites. I want to have 2 languages flag (English /French). By default, the site should load in English. If the user clicks on the French flag, I want the site to load a main page in French in additions to some modules that I will add myself. Both should share the same forum. I am not trying to get a true 100% bilingual site, but something to satisfy my French speaking visitors -Wink

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic