Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
jimmo
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote

Hi All!

I am running standard PHPNuke 7.4 and I have just added a couple of FAQ sections. By default they appear at the bottom of the list, but I would like to be able to change the order so that related topics are together. Is there any easy way of doing it other than modifying the database or removing and re-adding the topics in the desired order?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:05 am Reply with quote

jimmo, there is no way to do this with the current FAQ tool and I have not seen any hacks for this (not saying there aren't any). I have looked at the code in the modules/FAQ/index.php script and there are no ORDER BY clauses so that is why it is just showing them in the order they were entered. You may try adding an ORDER BY clause on the field "question" and then you could possibly control the order based on the first few words of the question. You could do the same for the FAQ Index by doing it for the faqcategories table field categories.

There just aren't a lot of fields to work with! Its just such a basic FAQ module. You may want to search around to see if there is a more "robust" FAQ add-on module for nuke.

jimmo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:54 am Reply with quote

Hi montego! Thank you very much for your response. The problem with a straight ORDER BY in the query would naturally mean that I would need a field to query by. Doing it by the title, for example is not exactly what I was looking for.

However, I rewrote the category titles so that they similar enough to group together with a straight ORDER BY. At least for the time being, that is more important than ordering the questions.

On my site, I have over 300 articles that I want to be grouped in a certain way and appear in a certain way, so I have a special table with their ID, plus previousID and nextID fields for the navigation. I though about adding a new field to the FAQ table, but I am not happy with the idea of goofing with existing tables. I was hoping for something similar.

montego

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

The only thing I can think of is the Tutoriaux module. But, again, it may be too simple for your use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic