Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro
fkelly
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote

Calendar is listed as a possibility for the new release. Have you made a determination on what Calendar software you will use and if so would you tell us?

(I'm running basically the same release and patch levels and the same Sentinel as your package and can't see any advantage to converting but I would like to stay as "compatible" as possible. In addition, if you've done an evaluation of calendar options I would like to take advantage of that rather than charting my own course).

Thanks.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:45 pm Reply with quote

No one has really contacted me with any calendar mocule/block that is really complete and still supported. I'm still wide open to feedback and suggestions!

CodyG
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote

There are two calendar options available for nuke atm.

NuCalendar ... hasn't been an update in ages but it does have recurring events. Another negative is that admin had to moderated/approve/edit every entry. This is a very basic calendar

Event Calendar ... The original was by Bob Sutton. Users can admin their own entries and there are quite a few block options. The downside is that this mod doesn't support recurring events. This package was recently modified by Mx Calendar. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
PCnuke has a version too. (but still no recurring events)

The other possible and imho, most preferable option, is to port an advanced calendar like WebCalendar to nuke. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
A phpnuke version is on the project list, but likely just waiting for the right people to come along and do something about it.
Quote:

WebCalendar can be setup in a variety of ways, such as...

A schedule management system for a single person
A schedule management system for a group of people, allowing one or more assistants to manage the calendar of another user
An events schedule that anyone can view, allowing visitors to submit new events
A calendar server that can be viewed with iCal-compliant calendar applications like Mozilla Sunbird, Apple iCal or GNOME Evolution or RSS-enabled applications like Firefox, Thunderbird, RSSOwl, or FeedDemon, or BlogExpress.

NEWS
NEW! WebCalendar now has a Wiki!

Version 1.0.2 is now available. Download it from the Downloads page.

Version 1.1 development has begun. You can download a CVS development snapshot on the download page. View the ChangeLog to see what new features have gone in! Cool new stuff includes:

Web-based install/upgrade wizard
Read/write sync with Apple iCal or Sunbird
Full timezone support
Publishing calendars to RSS
Vastly improved iCal support
Add attachments and comments to events

Features
xhtml/css compliance
Multi-user support
29 supported languages: Basque, Bulgarian, Chinese-Big5, Chinese-GB2312, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English-US, Estonian, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Holo-Big5, Hungarian, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese_BR, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Welsh
Auto-detect user's language preference from browser settings
View calendars by day, week, month or year
View another user's calendar
View one or more users' calendar via layers on top of your own calendar
Add/Edit/Delete users
Add/Edit/Delete events
Repeating events including support for overriding or deleting (exceptions)
Configurable custom event fields
User-configurable preferences for colors, 12/24 time format, Sun/Mon week start
Online help
Checks for scheduling conflicts
Email reminders for upcoming events
Email notifications for new/updated/deleted events
Export events to iCal, vCal or Palm
Import from iCal, vCal or Palm
Optional general access (no login required) to allow calendar to be viewed by people without a login (useful for event calendars)
Users can make their calendar available publicly to anyone with an iCal-compliant calendar program (such as Apple's iCal, Mozilla Calendar or Sunbird)
Publishing of free/busy schedules (part of the iCal standard)
RSS support that puts a user's calendar into RSS (WebCalendar 1.1+)
User authentication: Web-based, HTTP, LDAP or NIS

Sounds fab, eh?

Clear Skies! and have a happy nuking day.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:39 pm Reply with quote

I had the Australian event calendar (Bob Sutton) that you mentioned installed. It was withdrawn from the market for reasons of security and was no longer supported. I suspect that there was no input filtering but I never really followed up on what the security issues were. After I learned a bit about security from this site, I deleted the event calendar from my site. I don't want software that is (a) not supported and (b) insecure. I can't read the site url you listed since it's in German.

One security advisory for the event calendar is at:

http://secunia.com/advisories/13213/

There is one other event calendar at:

http://www.sweetphp.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Script_Preview&script=12

but there appears to be a charge for it ($35). It does appear to be full featured and well supported but that's just based on a cursory inspection. Personally, I would rather pay $35 and have something that's secure and works and is supported than get unsupported software for free. Maybe Raven could negotiate a fee splitting arrangement with them?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, albini.net may have updated the security side of what was NuCalendar and is availale on their site.

fkelly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Okay, but unless I am mistaken badly, Nucalendar and the Australian based event calendar by Rob Sutton (I think someone named Holbrook was also involved) are two different things.

I looked a bit at the Forums on the sweetphp site and while it appears there may be some problems between the sweetphp based calendar and Nuke themes, at least the Forums are active and the authors of the software respond to questions and development is ongoing. That's one thing I look for in evaluating software (actually I should say those are several things that I look for).

Pmoney
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Before using the RavenNuke Distro I was using an older version of nuke and NuCalendar, I downloaded it from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
I thought it worked great and actuallyliked the option to approve events (just like links)
I have to have a calendar on my site, and always wondered why it wasn't included as a module in Nuke. I guess there are too many people that need different things in Nuke.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:05 pm Reply with quote

Here is another good thread on this topic and I believe there are more:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I personally have used Event Calendar 2.13 with some mods done by myself, but would support a port of WebCalendar to nuke. It is a full-featured calendar and scheduling tool which may be useful to a nuke "community", similar to how a TRUE messaging (PM/email) system would be... Unfortunately, with that comes a potential price of having a pretty "thick" calendar tool for the masses that may only need the simple functions of NuCalendar or EventCalendar.

So, are you offerring up to port WebCalendar? Wink

Last edited by montego on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Dawg
RavenNuke(tm) Development Team

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote

I have used Nu Calender now for a couple years. It is OK.....but nothing to get excited about, although it does work....there is very little support for it.

the thing I did not like about it is events that span several days. You had to back in and do the same event for each day. I have fishery meetings and tournaments that last as long as a week.

Dawg

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote

NuCalendar is the best current option. I've carefully reviewed other options, including WebCalendar, which isn't bad, but there is something better, and I'm about to begin work to make it a Nuke module...

webservant
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quote

Just another option...

TotalCalendar from [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] They charge $35 for the package, but it installs easy, has lots of features, and integrates pretty well. One drawback I've noticed - some bleed over with the themes though.

Romans 8:28-39 
montego

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:43 pm Reply with quote

kguske wrote:
NuCalendar is the best current option. I've carefully reviewed other options, including WebCalendar, which isn't bad, but there is something better, and I'm about to begin work to make it a Nuke module...

oohhhh, I missed this the first go-around! Do tell... I think a good combination of Event Calendar, NuCalendar, Webcalendar and TotalCalendar would just about do it!
killing me

Actually, RaveNuke76 2.10.00 needs a really good Calendar module!

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote

I'll see what I can do... Another good one is Calogic, but it would be really difficult to Nuke and it has some flaws similar to Webcalendar. The one I'm working with is pretty obscure, and it hasn't seen widespread use. But the design is almost perfect - very well thought out. Unlike TotalCalendar, which is similar to Event Calendar and NuCalendar in terms of functionality with some nice bells and whistles, all the others are open source.

montego

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote

As long as I can create a re-occurring event similar to Outlook, I, and many others, will be very happy indeed... Although I preferred Even Calendar over NuCalendar, I finally dropped using any calendar because it was just too constraining and awkward to manage events.

Knowing you, I am sure you found a good one!

webservant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote

You can demo TotalCalendar on their site - you actually login as the admin. It definitely has lots of features with respect to re-occurring events.

jaded
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

Quote:

There is one other event calendar at:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

but there appears to be a charge for it ($35). It does appear to be full featured and well supported but that's just based on a cursory inspection. Personally, I would rather pay $35 and have something that's secure and works and is supported than get unsupported software for free. Maybe Raven could negotiate a fee splitting arrangement with them?

this is by far the best calendar out there. It has abilies that the others do not. It is also supported and very secure. I have used this for many clients. They all agree that it is completely worth the cost. Smile

Ghost Stories & More [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] 
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:52 am Reply with quote

Just as a reminder, to be included in RavenNuke76 it must be GPL and Free.

azism
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:40 am Reply with quote

Another calendar to look at is TotalCalendar (http://www.sweetphp.com). I use that one and I really like it. It is current and supported. The current version is 2.3. While is is not free, it is one to check out for those who want a good calendar.

linuxtad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote

I would like to see Event Calendar updated, it has some great things about it, it is realeased under GPL and is easy to install. I believe that would provide the best overall addition as far as calendars. Features could be added to it at a later date, the primary thing is to update it to work with 7.6. I attempted it and did not have any luck, where or where did I install 7.5 at Smile

To use Total Calendar would require purchasing, it is an easy install just drop it in under "modules" and chmodd a couple folders and away you go. For 35$ is is a good investement. It could not be released with a Raven distro due to this.

I have not tried NuCalendar, I will give that a shot.

WebCalendar is also a good feature rich calander as well, I would not mind having that ported as well. I did try to run it under 7.6 and while I got the calendar to show, clicking on anything created a "script error" (I figured it would but I had to see I swear!) I do believe there is an excess of features that most would not use, so the bulk of it may be alot of work to port for features that would not be used. I think it really depends on each persons usage of a calendar Very Happy

At of all of them in my opinion, the easiest and closest to release would be Event Calendar, after that, WebCalendar would be the next one. Of course permission to port would be required I believe (I always ask anyway Razz).

Best regards,
TAd

azism

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:20 am Reply with quote

I have found that with most free calendars that there is no support and they are for the most part very generic. For those of us who want a more full bodied calendar, I guess we need to pay for it. What it comes down to is the users personal preference.

For me, WebCalendar and NuCalendar just didn't cut it. I checked into numerous free calendars that were good, depending on need. They just didn't fit my need. The biggest problem with many free calendars was their inability to handle repeating events.

And then there was just the general appearance of some. But again, it all depends on personal taste and needs/wants.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:24 am Reply with quote

I do not use this type application, so I am somewhat naive when it come to what makes a good calendar application. I would love to see someone, or a group get together, and define the user specifications for the ultimate calendar. Start another thread if you decide to do this.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote

linuxtad wrote:
To use Total Calendar would require purchasing, it is an easy install just drop it in under "modules" and chmodd a couple folders and away you go. For 35$ is is a good investement. It could not be released with a Raven distro due to this.

Actually, according to the GPL, that is not correct. If an application requires phpNuke to run, then it is automatically GPL and can be used and distributed for free, by anyone. That doesn't mean that I would do it, but legally I or anyone else can. Just as the same holds true for phpNuke and the "club". After one person pays the $10 and gets a copy, he/she is free to distribute it for free under the GPL to anyone and everyone and they can do the same.

montego

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:11 pm Reply with quote

kguske is in the process of working on just such a module. I have not seen it or know much about it, but we might want to ask him what the basic features will be. I have used Event Calendar quite a bit and like it, but it does not have re-occurring events which is where NuCalendar has this capability.

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:35 pm Reply with quote

I've considered about 20 different calendar programs (no time to publish the review). The calendar I'm working on has recurring events very much like Outlook and Calogic, better than WebCalendar, will easily handle exceptions to recurring events, and much more... There are tradeoffs with any calendar - ease of maintenance vs. powerful features vs. performance and on and on. This one has the optimal mix of features with the fewest tradeoffs...

More later...back to the editor

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote

I'll just add that the RavenNuke(tm) has many exciting applications that we are working on, both collectively and individually. My sincere hope and desire is that most of these will make it into one of our forks, er versions Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v2.00.00 - v2.02.00 Distro

View next topic
View previous topic