Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
ashkon
Client

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote

Hi,

I tried installing the Sommaire Parametrable module block on my site while running the V-Tech custom theme from vipixel.com. The Sommaire installer failed while trying to create the necessary tables in the database, giving me a "page cannot be found" error. Since then, my page loads as a blank white page.

The error log in cPanel complains about a couple files that seem to be related to the V-tech theme. Raven confirmed for me that incompatible theme was the problem. Here is what the error looks like:

[Sun Jan 15 00:05:23 2006] [error] [client 211.41.205.67] File does not exist: [omitted]/public_html/404.shtml
[Sun Jan 15 00:05:23 2006] [error] [client 211.41.205.67] File does not exist: [omitted]/public_html/themes/V-Tech/images/Header_r1_c1_f2.jpg

It repeats itself several times. Since the installation of the module block failed, no tables in the database were created. Since then, I have removed the V-tech theme from my site, as well as removed any leftovers from the custom block. However, the site still loads a blank page.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks,
Ashkon

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:36 am Reply with quote

are you sure the Sommaire Parametrable didnt altered anything?

ashkon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:27 am Reply with quote

Quote:
are you sure the Sommaire Parametrable didnt altered anything?

The readme for Sommaire explains that in the event of installation failure, it suffices to replace the language files with the backups created by the installer, or remove the text added by the software yourself.

This didn't work for me, so I downloaded my version of ravennuke and replaced all possibly modified folders in phpnuke (admin, modules) as well as languages in both admin and root.

Unfortunately, the site still doesn't work.

I suspect that one problem could be an absence of a default theme setting in the nuke_config table in the database. If, for example, the default theme is set to V-Tech which was causing problems (and also doesn't exist on the server anymore since I removed it) then obviously there could be some serious loading problems.

In nuke_config, I checked the Default_Theme field for the existence of an acceptable string for the site (such as DeepBlue). I am not familiar with MySQL enough to know if this string exists or not, though. In exploring the default_theme field, I am taken to several values:

Field: Default_Theme
Type: VARCHAR
Length/Values: 255
Attributes: (blank)
Null: not null
Default: (blank)
Extra: (blank)

If the absense of a compatible default theme is the problem, and if the values in the default_theme field indicate that there isn't one, how can I fix it?

Could there be any other problems to cause the blank page?

My site is very new and reinstalling Ravnnuke is also an option. Should it be enough to re-FTP all the Ravennuke files without changing the database?

I really appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks,
Ashkon

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote

well ive seen this before...
if im not mistaken then the modules table was effected by it..
if you have a database backup replace the modules table...with your backed up one..

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:36 am Reply with quote

You are looking at the nuke_config schema, not the actual table content. You need to click the Browse table icon and then you can edit the Default_Theme field to DeepBlue.

ashkon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:59 am Reply with quote

Quote:
You are looking at the nuke_config schema, not the actual table content. You need to click the Browse table icon and then you can edit the Default_Theme field to DeepBlue.

Thanks. The default theme was in fact set to the old theme. But changing it to "DeepBlue" hasn't fixed the problem.

Quote:
if you have a database backup replace the modules table...with your backed up one..

I didn't bother making backups because this is the only customized element I care about on the site, and there is nothing to lose.

Are you sure that the nuke_modules table would be damaged and no other ones? Is there an SQL query I can run to reset any table back to default?

Thanks,
Ashkon

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote

well thank god you tried ravens option first.
well im talking about something i saw a long time ago.
in that case the modules table was altered and led to a blank site.
but if all is solved then theres no need replace anby tables ..

ashkon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:08 am Reply with quote

The problem persists Very Happy

Sorry, I probably could have been more clear about the first option not working.

However, since there are no files related to the old theme or module block being hosted, and there is no important data in any of my tables, It might be best to just reset the tables... if only I knew how.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote

You should always make a backup of your database before messing with it, I'm sure you've learned that now Sad.

First of all, in config.php, set $display_errors=true; to see if that reveals anything on the screen or in your error log. Then report back.

Last edited by Raven on Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total 
ashkon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:19 am Reply with quote

Enabling error reports was one of the first things I did. There is no error message on the screen. The last reported error in the control panel error log is from several hours ago:

[Sun Jan 15 06:45:16 2006] [error] [client 211.41.205.67] File does not exist: /home/ashkon/public_html/404.shtml
[Sun Jan 15 06:45:16 2006] [error] [client 211.41.205.67] File does not exist: /home/ashkon/public_html/favicon.ico

It's a little bit different since V-Tech has since been removed.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:27 am Reply with quote

Well, at this point, you have a couple of options. One would be to restore your full site backup from last weekend. The othere would be to d/l RavenNuke76(tm) v2.02.00 and just start over. That would be my recommendation. You will need to totally wipe all files from your ftp site and drop all tables from your database. Be sure to make note of your mysql settings in config.php because you will need them for your new setup.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:29 am Reply with quote

ashkon wrote:
Enabling error reports was one of the first things I did. There is no error message on the screen. The last reported error in the control panel error log is from several hours ago:

[Sun Jan 15 06:45:16 2006] [error] [client 211.41.205.67] File does not exist: /home/ashkon/public_html/404.shtml
[Sun Jan 15 06:45:16 2006] [error] [client 211.41.205.67] File does not exist: /home/ashkon/public_html/favicon.ico

It's a little bit different since V-Tech has since been removed.
As to these errors, you need to use your cPanel Error Pages link and create error pages for your site. For the favicon.ico you need to create an icon file (ico) for your site and name it favicon.ico and place it in your root web folder.

ashkon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, at this point, you have a couple of options. One would be to restore your full site backup from last weekend. The othere would be to d/l RavenNuke76(tm) v2.02.00 and just start over. That would be my recommendation. You will need to totally wipe all files from your ftp site and drop all tables from your database. Be sure to make note of your mysql settings in config.php because you will need them for your new setup.

Sounds like fun! Well, there's no harm in running the latest version, especially if it will make my site work.

I will remove all files and drop all tables now, then FTP Ravennuke 2.02.00. Also, I will keep track of the mysql settings from config.

Thanks a lot for all the help. I'll post back here when I am finished.

Ashkon

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:50 am Reply with quote

Cheers

ashkon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote

I finished transfering the Ravennuke files yesterday after a ridiculous number of connection interruptions.

I backed up my old config.php, but didn't take a copy of the file to work with me. I have the dbhost, dbuname, and dbname from cpanel, but don't remember dbpass.

I assume prefix is just "nuke" and sitekey doesn't matter.

I went into phpmyadmin and ran "set password = password('mynewpassword') but to no avail. When I run the installer it says Access denied for user:
'(me)@localhost' (Using password: YES).

What could be the problem?

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote

You have to use the MySQL option in cPanel to set your database password. You do not have authority to run any password commands.

ashkon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:45 am Reply with quote

Where might this option be?

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:52 am Reply with quote

It's an icon called MySQL in cPanel

ashkon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:49 am Reply with quote

Hehe I know, I use the phpmyadmin that comes with cpanel.

I just created a new user and added it to the db without modifying the password for the old one. Works for now.

I need to figure out why there were so many connection interruptions while FTPing the files. I tried at work and home and had the same problems using SmartFTP and FTP Commander. In both cases there could be some firewall or other network problems involved.

ashkon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote

Ok,

I went into cpanel and generated a full backup before proceeding to change anything. I downloaded a version of the block that is generally recognized to be more compatible with everything, and installed it.

This time, everything seemed to go smoothly. I FTPed the files, changed the permissions on /language and /admin/language, and used the auto-installer.

The tables were created, and the block was added. The only problem was that editing the language files failed. Technically this should be fine since there is an easy way to edit the files myself, and it suggests doing this in the installer in the even of a problem.

However, my page has returned to the same blank state that it was in after I tried this the first time. I dont think I have permissions to restore the kind of backup I made, so could this be done for me?

Thanks,
Ashkon

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:55 pm Reply with quote

Just ftp the original files that got changed and skip a full restore. You should really be testing this stuff on your local pc to get it working. Then, when you want to test a new theme, don't change the theme through the Preferences function. Change it in your user profile. That way if it doesn't work you can just remove the theme and the default theme will still work at a site level. Try using phpMyAdmin and edit the nuke_config table. Reset the Default_Theme back to DeepBlue. What kind of problem are you having editing a file?

ashkon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Just ftp the original files that got changed and skip a full restore

I restored the language files in case they were changed. The only other files that I FTPed are specific to Sommaire. I will remove them anyway.

Quote:
You should really be testing this stuff on your local pc to get it working

I agree. I will look into that today.

Quote:
Then, when you want to test a new theme, don't change the theme through the Preferences function. Change it in your user profile.

I will remember this, thanks. But for now I'm not changing themes, just installing the block.

Quote:
Reset the Default_Theme back to DeepBlue. What kind of problem are you having editing a file?

I already did this, and the site is still broken.

Considering the circumstances, I think the best way to fix the site is to delete all the db tables and repopulate with the Raven installer since it has only been one day since I got it up and running.

In the future I will create backups that I can restore myself.

And I will put up a local installation.

Thanks,
Ashkon

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:15 pm Reply with quote

You should probably have started a new thread because I [mis]assumed by the title of the thread that that was still part of the issue Smile

ashkon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote

Sorry about that.

I deleted everything in the database and restored it with the Ravennuke installer. No dice. I guess the only explanation now is that some file is damaged. I deleted everything that had to do with Sommaire, replaced the language, admin/language, and blocks folders entirely, and even the php files in root (except config).

Any ideas what else I should replace? I dont wanna have to re-ftp the whole thing.

Thanks,
Ashkon

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:52 pm Reply with quote

Turn $display_errors on in config.php and check the error log through cPanel.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic