Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)
studeggle
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:22 pm Reply with quote

I love what NukeSentinel does for nuke, but I have some php sites that aren't nuke based and thier scripts just really aren't meant to be ported into a CMS since they are an entire site in and of themselves. Sad
So I have been thinking about doing a personal rewrite on NukeSentinel to turn it into PHPSentinel IE something that I can install on any site and then add lines to that sites key files to make it use Sentinel.

Would you have any problem with me doing this?

Would you like the code made public? (I have no problem doing this, just don't want to step on toes by doing it)

Can I keep the Sentinel name and banners, or would you prefer I totally change the name?

Has anything of this sort been done in the past that you know of?

Do you see any reason why NukeSentinel couldn't be adapted to a seporate program that would work in that fasion?

Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:24 am Reply with quote

studeggle wrote:
I love what NukeSentinel does for nuke, but I have some php sites that aren't nuke based and their scripts just really aren't meant to be ported into a CMS since they are an entire site in and of themselves. Sad
So I have been thinking about doing a personal rewrite on NukeSentinel to turn it into PHPSentinel IE something that I can install on any site and then add lines to that sites key files to make it use Sentinel.

Would you have any problem with me doing this?
In theory, of course not. As long as you retain all the credits then you are free to do what you want

Would you like the code made public? (I have no problem doing this, just don't want to step on toes by doing it)
The code must remain GPL if you use any of our original code

Can I keep the Sentinel name and banners, or would you prefer I totally change the name?
Because NukeSentinel(tm) is a TradeMark and is specific to phpNuke, yours would need its own name. I will warn you ahead of time to do research on Sentinel as we were forced to change the original name due to a TradeMark infringement.

Has anything of this sort been done in the past that you know of?
Not specifically tied to NukeSentinel(tm). Obviously we have written specific code to handle phpNuke. The exploits that we protect against have many ways of being defended against. Actually, if you are careful when writing your code you don't need a product like NukeSentinel(tm) in the first place. FIEO = Filter Input - Escape Output. Follow that basic credo and you won't need a third party script.

Last edited by Raven on Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total 
studeggle

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Raven. Thing I am looking at is several of the scripts aren't my own but others so I would be trying to scour 1000s of lines of code to make sure it was safe and I've found reviewing code for unsafe coding is less reliable then just coding safely. I run web hosting servers to go along with my game servers and many of my clients use php scripts for their sites. For a small extra fee I help them review their site for security and I was planning to add the installation of this to that security evaluation.

Sure I'll keep all credits to you guys.

Thanks for the warning on the name I'll do some more research before naming it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm)

View next topic
View previous topic