Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes
blith
Client

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:09 pm Reply with quote

I would like to use a custom background that I made. How can I make all things blocks transparent so that my background can show through? I would like to keep the title bars and such but the block body I would like transparent... thanks!

blith

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:07 am Reply with quote

Is it not possible to have transparency? I want my background to show through everything... thanks.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Yes it is. I have a theme that does that, that fury wrote for me. Send him a PM. I know he's not on much, if at all, but his account is still active. Maybe he'll respond. Also, try sending Dezina a PM.

blith

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:35 am Reply with quote

Thank you I will deedly do!

dezina
Theme Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:57 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, try sending Dezina a PM.

Got your PM, replied, then saw this post.
What you must do is NOT set a background colour for your Blocks in theme.php, but set background as a clear or transparent gif. That way, your background image, set at top of theme, in header, will show through Wink

blith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:11 am Reply with quote

Got your PM replied then saw YOUR post! Laughing Thank you!

dezina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 11:22 am Reply with quote

Laughing No probs. Tried my suggestion on Dezina Clouds Theme, which Raven uses here on this site. Works fine Wink

blith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote

Dezina, where do I set the background image again? I figured out the rest but where does the image go? thanks.

dezina

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
where do I set the background image again

Which image... main background or the block?

blith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:42 pm Reply with quote

my custom made background image that i want to show through all the blocks. the whole page background... thanks

dezina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:08 am Reply with quote

Code:
function themeheader() {

global $user, $banners, $sitename, $slogan, $cookie, $prefix;
    cookiedecode($user);
    $username = $cookie[1];
    if ($username == "") {
        $username = "Anonymous";
    }
    echo "<body bgcolor=\"#E7EFFF\" background=\"themes/nameoftheme/images/yourimage.gif\" text=\"#000000\" link=\"#363636\" vlink=\"#363636\" alink=\"#d5ae83\">\n"
   ."<br>\n";

Alter the text/link colour codes to your choice Wink

blith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:30 am Reply with quote

Thank you!!

blith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:05 am Reply with quote

Okay sorry... but I now cannot find where to make the blocks transparent. I made a transparent gif and I have tried putting it everywhere... well not everywhere Shocked but could you please tell me where I make the blocks transparent. Thank you for your help and patience.

dezina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote

Code:
function themesidebox($title, $content) {

echo "<table border=\"0\" cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\" background=\"themes/yourtheme/images/pixel.gif\" width=\"150\"><tr><td>\n"
    ."<table border=\"0\" cellpadding=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\" width=\"150\">\n"
    ."</tr>\n"
    ."</table>\n"
   ."<table border=\"0\" cellpadding=\"3\" cellspacing=\"1\" background=\"themes/yourtheme/images/pixel.gif\" width=\"100%\">\n"
   ."<tr><td bgcolor=\"#BDD6EF\" align=\"center\">\n"
   ."<font size=\"2\" color=\"#363636\"><b>$title</b></font>\n"
   ."</td></tr>\n"
   ."<tr>\n"
   ."<td background=\"themes/yourtheme/images/pixel.gif\">$content</td>\n"
   ."</tr>\n"
   ."</table></td></tr></table>\n"
   ."<br>\n\n\n";
}

pixel.gif is the transparent gif/image. Alter the colours stated to your own.
Alter width of block to suit your theme. Once again, above code, tested using Dezina_Clouds.
Works fine.
Have fun Wink

blith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:43 am Reply with quote

Well I have tried many different things and it is still not working. I followed your instructions to the letter and all that happens is my background image shows around the border of everythiing else. So I know I put that line of code in the right place... Smile as far as making the blocks transparent it is not working. They stay the same color. If it helps I am using Nuke News as the only theme on my site. Thank you again. seriously. for putting this much effore into this.

dezina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:37 am Reply with quote

Quote:
If it helps I am using Nuke News as the only theme on my site.

From what remember, nuke news is coded using html, for blocks/header, and not php, which is how block/header examples given is constructed.
Without actually having the complete theme you are trying to code, i.e. html, images etc, difficult to test Sad

blith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Okay, I found those particular html files and I am going to try and adapt your instructions to the html. Thank you for all your help up to this point... Smile

blith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote

Well I tried and the one that is giving me trouble out of all html files would be the block.html file. All the other worked without a hitch but the block.html file made all my blocks go down the left side of the page... in addition when I put my background image instead of colors will this make the page load slower as it has to load each image...? thanks

dezina

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
when I put my background image instead of colors will this make the page load slower as it has to load each image...?

Well obviously, page/s will not load as quickly, because you are using a background image, not colours, but it will also depend on file size of that image i.e width,height, total k, and how many times it has to repeat.
When I tested using Dezina Clouds, loading time was not adversely affected, pro'lly 'cos the background image is not that large, in any department.
Wink

blith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:12 pm Reply with quote

I have decided to load up the entire Nuke News folder into dreamweaver and work it out there... thank you dezina for pointing me in the right directions!!

dezina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 12:43 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Nuke News folder into dreamweaver and work it out there

Hope it works out for you Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Themes

View next topic
View previous topic