Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote

As some of you may know, I recently replaced my site from a 7.5 patched 3.0 to RavenNuke7.6 distro and during the process, moved my site from my web root to a sub directory.

I had been experiencing high mysql and memory useage and what with upgrading from a quite early version of nuke, progressivley to what was then 7.5 I thought perhaps it might have been related to having rendundant DB tables or sloppy code or poorly edited code (on my part) or any number of things related to me possibly poorly maintaining my upgrades etc.
I would quite regularly see memory and mysql useage go over 75% - which was not a good sign on a quad processor dedicated server with 2Gig of memory!!!!!
I was banning IP ranges left, right and centre.

After installing RavenNuke 7.6 and carefully re-inserting my DB data to the new DB I left it happily in its new sub directory and the resource useage hardly twitched.
I have some software that uses a list of proxy servers to send url requests to my server (for load testing) and despite throwing thousands of hits per hour at my new site, it still did not use any significant resources.
I left it like this for a week or so.

Last night I moved my site back to its web root directory (on the same domain) after carefully altering the appropriate config and preference settings to reflect the new site path and within hours, resource consumption is climbing.
I jut did a server restart and within seconds, resource useage climbed to
27.99% memory 19.7% mysql

Does anyone have a clue what the heck is causing this because its driving me completely round the bend!
I do see a heck of a lot of requests for this url
index.php/requests
This is not a valid url but seems to be sucking the life out of my server.
Can I ban requests for that url in htaccess and/or Sentinel?

Any suggestions?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:15 am Reply with quote

Banning it at those levels is after the fact. It has already hit your server. If you can't isolate the IP's, then I'd try banning it in mod_security.

If you want to try .htaccess, try something like this:

Redirect index.php/requests [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:56 am Reply with quote

Thanks Raven, I'll give that a try and let you know what happens.

I had tried IP banning before the 'upgrade' to your distro but it was getting to the silly stage where I was banning whole countries (China, Japan, Russia, India etc) just to try and keep ahead of the onslought but I may start doing it again as well as employing your redirect.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I magaed to get it down by 40% which is pretty good by using a combination of mod_security seetings, htaccess redirecting for some non existant url's and banning several countries.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic