Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v1.x Distro
dingfelder
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote

I have a working site, using nuke 7.6 + various patches, including an older version of sentinal and various addon modules.

I want to upgrade to use your 7.6 patched (1.05.00) version but am not sure the best way to go about it.

I am database savvy so if I am told what needs to be done, I can handle it... Do I install a fresh copy and then migrate my users to the new one etc?

The things I want to keep for sure are:

• users
  • forum posts
  • news
  • encyclopedia

The only add-on module I need to keep that is not part of the base nuke is the "Sommaire" menu system, which I think should be added to the base install but thats a different issue Very Happy

Suggestions?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:56 am Reply with quote

I've actually covered this a few times already in other posts but I don't have them handy. Basically, yes. Start with a fresh install and then Insert the records from the old tables to the new. MySQL will bark at you if it doesn't like it.

rmount

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm about to do 7.5 -> Raven's 7.6. Same proceedure? Are there any tables that should *not* be sucked in?

I looked for your other posts and didn't see them either, don't feel bad Very Happy

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:45 pm Reply with quote

Keep in mind that my distro is using phpbb at 2.0.18. You do not want to just overlay the tables as you might end up with a table vs. file/code incompatability. Also, if you have modified any tables, like added fields to the users table, just replacing the table will cause problems with some of the core files. With that as a foundation, you would want to do something like this (RN76 = RavenNuke76).

- Install RN76 as instructed completing all the configurations
- Make sure that the virgin RN76 works correctly before continuing
- Export the tables from your current installation that you want to bring over
- Using the users table as an example, select just one record to try to insert into the RN76 setup and copy it. I would take the second record which is usually the first real user record after the "anonymous" user record. Now, using phpmyadmin, open up the query window to your database, paste the record that you copied and try to run the INSERT query to see if it gets added correctly. If it does, then go ahead and insert the other records. Do this for each table that you want to bring across.
- If you have a table that won't accept inserts, then you need to figure out why. phpmyadmin will tell you by displaying the MySQL error. If it is a column mismatch, then you have to decide whether to update the table schema or drop the extra columns from the table.
- Once you have completed the above steps, start adding back your addons from your old installation and you should then be upgraded.

rmount

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quote

Sounds like fun Shocked ... Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Raven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote

Fun - well, it's definitly an fu word ROTFL

Donovan
Client

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote

I went from a heavily modded Nuke 7.3 that was almost three years old to RavenNuke 7.6.

I wanted to keep my site "live" for the time being, so I made a structure only backup of just my PHPNuke tables and not any 3rd party modules. I just wanted to study it first to make sure there would be no hangups.

I then imported my backup "structure" into an empty test database using phpmyadmin to see what was different from my old 7.3 (which I had ran the 7.4 and 7.6 upgrade scripts against) to RavenNuke 7.6. Like I said, mine was heavily modded with the Attachment mod, FNA 2.3, and Categories Heirarchy 2.05.

I had lots of differences between the two, so I then dumped my data in to the test db and started making the changes.

Using phpmyadmin I went thru and removed some fields and indexes throughout my database. After it was a mirror image of RavenNuke 7.6, I then ran an export *DATA ONLY* and imported into RavenNuke using bigdump.php
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Make sure if you reload some old 3rd party modules that you check for index = 1 in all your module/index.php pages as this will mess up your right side blocks.

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Donovan, most excellent! You were very courageous and adventurous. Glad it worked out for you... I have yet to get the time to upgrade my sites, but they are definitely going to be RavenNuke76 2.x+

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v1.x Distro

View next topic
View previous topic