Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v1.x Distro
sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Going off topic again (Yeah I know I do this too often) I think its great Raven is creating and supporting a nuke package. Because his name and this site lend a lot of credence to it.

But beyond that in this thread and some others many of the participants have and do the same. So I have to come right out and ask has there been any discussion of a unified approach to a community package?

I ask because we're using Platinum 7.6.b.3 by Loki on sistersofnastiness (rated mature) and by the time it gets the way we want it bang it will be out of date again... it would be benificial to me and 1000's of others to support/use one package or at least for the most part one.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:47 pm Reply with quote

Not off topic anymore - I split the post Smile

Six,

Glad to see you're coming around again Wink A few weks back I contacted most of the major players that are respected in the community and started discussion of that very nature. It was a closed shop as we would be discussing and sharing non gpl information. We went for several weeks trying to see if there could be a commonality for a baseline. It was amazing to see all that expertise rolled up into one group and sharing ideas! There are some great things coming, if they mature.

But, while diversity is good, there is just really no "unified" approach that we could see. And it's not for lack of wanting and trying. Basically there are 2 camps: New CMS or Patched Nuke (PN) (of some flavor). Then, even PN gets split. Whether to use FB's code, patched and secure, or to do a fork. Bottom line, we always have history to fall back on. PostNuke was a 'unified' approach and we could name several others.

So, I will do what I believe will benefit the community as I always have, others will do the same. The community at large, according to their preferences, will use what they need/want/choose to.

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Well glad the discussion took place.
Too bad no "unified" approach, but I see that no one wants to end up like "PostNuke"

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote

It isn't that the dozen or so of us didn't/couldn't agree on a unified approach, I should be clear on that. Our approaches were very much in line with each other as to many of the same goals and objectives. It's how we get there that we differed on. All in all we want to profide a solid framework for the community. I believe it helped to see more of the person behind the keyboard, at least for me.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:46 pm Reply with quote

I was completely coming from a users perspective with the question. As always PHPNuke inspite of its imperfections offers the largest code base to draw from (good & bad) as well as some of the best support for those mods and addons.

I've totally abandoned it for commercial work, but still find it the most fun to work with for fun, community oriented sites. So that is where I was coming from. As I mentioned we are using a platinum dirived work now. But as mentioned in the previous thread much of that is whats being requested in the "Raven Package" now. Throw in NSN News, Nuke Sentinel, Dynamet Keywords, SEO Meta titles, FCK editor and this is pretty much what we are using right now.

But the package does come with a lot of dead wieght. As in modules that have stopped or paused in development. Stuff we don't use or need and so on.

But its pretty good, gets the job done and of course can grow with the users needs almost unlimitedly (Is that a word?).

But call it Platinum its very much just another PHPNuke package at this stage which makes it soo easy to port nuke and phpbb addons to.

Next thing of course is test driving G2 but that has to wait a day or so for me...

I'm not plugging anything here but noting simularities and wondering if there isn't enough to build together on in the future.

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:32 pm Reply with quote

Six, we go back a long way and I didn't (and don't) misunderstand where you were coming from Wink

To be honest with you, I have had a vision for at least 2 years now - [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] - and now that I have been forced into early retirement, I may be able to build my Nirvana Smile. My design goes way beyond a distro. So, I am on my own with this one, at least for now.

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:27 pm Reply with quote

RavensScripts

sixonetonoffun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I took my first glance at nuke-evolution, hats off to their team. They've taken bits n peices from the best of and come up with something that promises to take users a long way towards they future. I even had to port back the statistics module because it was "nicer".

technocrat
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Smile Thank you. We have all worked very hard on it. Release 1 should find its way out the door before christmas *cross fingers*

We have a few more surprises in store. Wink

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Raven's RavenNuke(tm) v1.x Distro

View next topic
View previous topic