Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x
Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote

I do not see anyway of importing any IP to Country list directly into the Ban IP range of Sentinel (might be a useful feature for some).
I am being plagued at the momnet with a lot of mis-behaving bots from Russia so I am thinking, the only way of acheiving this at the moment is to modify the specific IP2C sql data file to import the data into the Banned IP table instead of the IP2C table?

My site is in english and my target audience is specifically for the UK, though we do get a lot of US visitors as well so I do not see any ramifications from banning a whole country range of IP's (provided the list is accurate) - any thoughts anyone?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:23 am Reply with quote

Do the bots respect robots.txt? If so, just disallow them there. If not, you could ban them via NukeSentinel.

j_felosi
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote

lol I always ban Turkey and Nigeria right off, I dont care about the db size, it will save you lots of sentinel emails from ridiculous hack attempts and spam.
When I did have Turkey allowed on my last domain , which wasnt really popular of a domain I may add I was getting probably 10 LAME hack attempts a day and whats funny is when they would get banned by sentinel they would keep on copying and pasting crap and banning again...and again like they think their super leet exploit will go right through the fact that sentinel has already banned their ip and is not letting them in.
Call it prejudice but its saved me lots of aggravation this time around and Im sure Im not the only one, I had seen a site not too long ago declaring Turkey land of the banned.

By the way, nice robots.txt I have accumulated over time [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
But if their real bad they will just ignore it or go there looking for forbidden pages to crawl on. But you can take the useragnets from the robots.txt and add them to sentinel harvester or string blockers and it will auto ban them

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:43 am Reply with quote

Thank you both for your input.
At the moment, all bots (useragents) are banned in robots.txt so the problematic IP's are ones which are ignoring the robots.txt file which is why I am now taking steps to ban them.

Those that continue to register a http referer hit after that will be added to my server ip ban list.

Doulos
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:50 pm Reply with quote

This has probably been addressed and I just couldn't find it, BUT....

How do I ban a whole country? If I want to ban Turkey, for instance, what do I do?

I am using NukeSentinel 2.4.2 but I am a total ignoramous when it comes to this stuff. I am lucky just to have gotten it installed.

Thanks for your time.

Ezekiel

EDIT:

I think I see how, but there are 1222 pages of IP address ranges. Any easier way than wading through all of them and blocking individual ranges?

j_felosi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote

I found the best way is to import into nuke sentinel and/or in htacess add "deny from .tr"
This way they cant access anything you have.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote

Go to Nuke Sentinel admin
In the center column of menu options, select 'Import Data'
In the right hand column of menu options select 'Import to Blocked Ranges'
Wink

Doulos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Thanks Guardian,

I thought there must be a simple way.

southern
Client

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:56 am Reply with quote

My problem is only tangential to this but I don't have time to look for the thread about it lol so if anyone knows a thread let me know of it.... the problem is that NS isn't displaying the latest blocked IPs in the Blocked IPs menu, it only shows a bunch from 2004 not the most recent. I have NS 2.4.2 pl4 and I don't use the NS scrolling blocks or such.

geoff_bell
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:21 am Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:
Go to Nuke Sentinel admin
In the center column of menu options, select 'Import Data'
In the right hand column of menu options select 'Import to Blocked Ranges'
Wink

i managed to do this on a site with a fresh rn install, but couldn't for th elife of me remember or work out what to do with a 7.5 site i upgraded to rn!

maybe it should be made a sticky or something. along with a list of top 10 countries - leaving it up to the use to decide who to ban. my sites are usually very uk/ireland-centric, although, as they are motorcycle racing websites do have a certain amount of interest from certain nations.

kguske

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Check hitwalker's post for a list of favorite banned countries.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x

View next topic
View previous topic