Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Announcements
Poll
Opinion?
Yes - Keep it
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
No - Get Rid Of It
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't Care
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote

I have been making many tweaks and changes in the forums. One that will be immediately noticable is that I had added a Mod that will only display your signature and avatar once per page. Also, images in signatures are now limited to 88x31. This not only saves on the business of the long pages but also on bandwidth Smile

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote

For the record, I voted to keep it as I find signature graphics a little distracting.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Little distracting is good. I´m glad that in my own forum with about 1300 member nobody use signatures with images. If I read the questions:" How can I get my signature working ? I think often it´s really sometimes like in the kindergarten.

Last edited by Susann on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote

Do you like the Similar Topics list at the bottom?

Last edited by Raven on Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Susann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:16 pm Reply with quote

Hey, know this from my seo forum. Good idea !

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:21 pm Reply with quote

I just happened upon it while exploring [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and thought I'd try it.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote

I thought that you got´t some new ideas through Steptoe. The problem is that the most hacks for phpBB doesn´t work with nuke.

Themis
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote

I vote to keep it Smile Once a page is plenty IMHO, for the sigs. Going to do the same on my site.

And the related topics block, hmm, sounds interesting Smile Will you keep it at the bottom of the page?

Blonde Moment There is the blond vote Smile

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote

I have applied like 10 so far with very little changing. I have been really surprised. Usually it's the templates that have the tweaks especially if it's a theme template as opposed to a forum template.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:33 pm Reply with quote

Themis wrote:
I vote to keep it Smile Once a page is plenty IMHO, for the sigs. Going to do the same on my site.

And the related topics block, hmm, sounds interesting Smile Will you keep it at the bottom of the page?

Blonde Moment There is the blond vote Smile
I experimented with moving it around and I'm afraid it would be too distracting at the top. Since the latest posts are always at the bottom, it seems it should be seen. What do you think?

Themis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote

I think it's ok Smile I can see it coming in very handy, in my constant perusing for info Laughing

I have thought I noticed some small things lately changing. Wasn't sure if it was my imagination or what. ;p

Steptoe
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I like it...a lot. In fact I see it a bloody good tool for Admins and support staff...hopefully if it is noticable, ppl will tend to use the search buttom more often and less " u will find info at this link" and "use the search button...."
The position is a problem as far as user friendly goes...its not noticed so low on the page.
Top would be more user friendly, but the block Is too big up there
Soln's
A link that is a pop-up like more emotions
or
make the block smaller
I dont thing the "view lastest post" link is needed in it.
The date, not sure on that, I think it should stay?? maybe take the time out of that
The author, forum, replys....customers/clients realy need that info in there?

Quote:

I thought that you got´t some new ideas through Steptoe. The problem is that the most hacks for phpBB doesn´t work with nuke.

Not this one lol I come from generations of inventors etc...and Im good at it to, trouble is stuff upto now, I can put up in the lathe, weld up etc..these foe nuke I have, but cant turn or weld them lol
Raven..I see what is happening here (your site), the SOE/Privacy stuff, this, and a few other bits in peices that turn up is a big step forward in nuke. We just have to be carefull not to bloat, a mistake that too commonly happens down the line.
PS the SOE thread, the list of changes there, I edited to say "Compiled at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] by Raven, Support Members and Staff." hope thats ok?
U now more about that stuff so edit it as u see fit m8...I dont need credit, just see things working well is enough for me.
Maybe create a big list that includes everything lol.

Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:30 pm Reply with quote

Just trying to figure out where the "Texas Chili" came in as a similar topic... Smile Actually, seriously, can't really see the ties in most of these, but I have not gone in to either of them... not enough time in the day.

I am fine with the no images in the signature line. I, too, was becoming quite annoyed with them, but not really in these forums. You get into some forums out on the net and its about 50-50 images to text.

Keep hacking away at it... one thing I have noticed that I have not brought up before is that the view latest post icons/links never went to the actual post, just the top of the topic. I always find myself having to scroll down to the bottom. Just a nice-to-have while you are at it... Laughing

I REALLY like the Select - Expand - Collapse hack you have implemented. Wish I had time to incorporate. Fine touch. Only think I've noticed is that there always seems to be a lot of extra space at the bottom of the "box".

Keep up the good work!

montego

P.S. You tried to sneak in the :moon: smiley didn't ya'! Haa Haa

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:52 pm Reply with quote

The extra space is controllable. Without it, you end up having to expand MANY small posts. I opted for the extra space, but I might reconsider.

The similar posts logic goes strictly by the titles and not content. When I have time I plan on looking into tweaking this puppy to use the body text also and then see about using the soundex(), similar_text(), and metaphone() functions for some content comparison.

Yes, I finally got the latest post icons to show. Next step is to get them to work ROTFL

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:03 pm Reply with quote

The latest post icons are now working from the Forum block on the home page. Now to track down the forum ones. Should all be fixed now.

Steptoe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:55 pm Reply with quote

You are actually enjoying yourself.
Do u need the last post icon? the link is the same as the post icon anyway
It does look pretty with the icon thu lol

Also have u got it so that it shows the last posts as per permissions when the person is logged on.

Speed up the rolling entries when closed, knock off about 1 to 2 secs??

When one puts the curser over the hide /expand the curser doesnt change

When it is opened my jaw dropped almost as far as the list lol, I assume the # of posts it shows is easly set like other similar blocks?

We going to see these code changes at all? one of those cut in paste lists would be cool.

Raven

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote

Do u need the last post icon? the link is the same as the post icon anyway
That, too, will be changed in time. They shouldn't be equal.

When one puts the curser over the hide /expand the curser doesnt change
By design.

When it is opened my jaw dropped almost as far as the list lol, I assume the # of posts it shows is easly set like other similar blocks?
Yep.

We going to see these code changes at all? one of those cut in paste lists would be cool.
Probably not. I have shown you already the "technique", if you will. Now I'm just looking for all the possible places to change. Also, my code is very heavily modified anyway, so much of it isn't current. I'm still using a v6.9 base.

You are actually enjoying yourself.
Not really. I may enjoy the results, but I just don't have the time nor energy anymore to try to keep up with all the things I [try to] do ROTFL

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:22 am Reply with quote

One hack I did try on a friends site was the sig image size hack - allows you to limit the number of graphics the user is allowed to put in a sig and also the height/width.
This might not be relevant on 'mature' sites but for sites where users are allowed to have sig graphics and they insist on ignoring 'forum rules' it provides a nicely automated rule enforcement with appropriate warning messages etc.

I dont think the hack was made for the nuke port og phpBB but it works just fine if the two extra DB fields are created manually (the installer has broken links).

When implemented on live sites where forim sig images our already outside of the spcs, the user image is not displayed and a warning message is substituted so they can edit their profile.

montego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quote

Raven wrote:
The latest post icons are now working from the Forum block on the home page. Now to track down the forum ones. Should all be fixed now.

Very cool! Works like a champ... Also, don't worry about the extra space at the bottom of the code blocks. I can certainly understand now why you did it. You have enough to do these days! Laughing

montego

CurtisH
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:52 am Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
The problem is that the most hacks for phpBB doesn´t work with nuke.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but for those that weren't aware there are in fact many phpBBhacks that have been ported to work with bbtonuke. Below are a list of sites that I am aware of that offer the ported versions for bbtonuke:
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I am sure there are more, these are just ones that come to mind immediately.

In regards to the limit signatures mod to once per page, I think it is an excellent addition here.

Another mod that I think would be an excellent addition would be the Watch Forum Mod which enables members to watch an entire forum for posts and replies. When they select the option to Watch a forum, anytime someone posts a new topic or a reply they recieve an email. The email also contains the details of the post. This mod benifits moderators as well as casual members.

Download location: Notification Mod

Quote:
This mod adds a "watch this forum" link to the viewforum page, similar to the "watch this topic" link on viewtopic. Further on, this mod changes the structure of email bodies, now including the post text, the name of the poster etc. in the email text.There are different email texts for watched topic [reply], watched forum [newtopic] and watched forum [reply]. The texts are available both in English and German.

Ported for PHPNuke phpBB 2.0.* by Telli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote

Guardian2003 wrote:
One hack I did try on a friends site was the sig image size hack - allows you to limit the number of graphics the user is allowed to put in a sig and also the height/width.
This might not be relevant on 'mature' sites but for sites where users are allowed to have sig graphics and they insist on ignoring 'forum rules' it provides a nicely automated rule enforcement with appropriate warning messages etc.

I dont think the hack was made for the nuke port og phpBB but it works just fine if the two extra DB fields are created manually (the installer has broken links).

When implemented on live sites where forim sig images our already outside of the spcs, the user image is not displayed and a warning message is substituted so they can edit their profile.
Already implemented Wink

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote

CurtisH wrote:
Another mod that I think would be an excellent addition would be the Watch Forum Mod which enables members to watch an entire forum for posts and replies. When they select the option to Watch a forum, anytime someone posts a new topic or a reply they recieve an email. The email also contains the details of the post. This mod benifits moderators as well as casual members.
Yep. It's been on my short list for quite some time.

Themis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote

lRaven I didn't see where you got the expand mod? I've seen it on other sites and I like it, but haven't run across it in any download sections. At least not that I recognized as being this mod.

Thanks Smile

montego

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote

Themis wrote:
lRaven I didn't see where you got the expand mod? I've seen it on other sites and I like it, but haven't run across it in any download sections. At least not that I recognized as being this mod.

Thanks Smile

I agree. I have been unable to find it as well.

CurtisH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:52 am Reply with quote

It is available here:

Select Expand BBCode

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic