Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
VinDSL
Life Cycles Becoming CPU Cycles

Location: Arizona (USA) Admin: NukeCops.com Admin: Disipal Designs Admin: Lenon.com

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:56 pm Reply with quote

Hrm...

I've read most of this thread; enough to get the idea. It's your basic 'list-of-grievances' thread. That's fine, I guess...

Personally, I love to hack code. If I hit the lottery tomorrow, I'd quit my 'day job' but I'd still hack code 'all night'. That's just what I like to do. How about you?

The fact of the matter is, PHP-Nuke (and two of its derivatives - PostNuke and Xaraya) have been steadily losing popularity over the past year, based on the raw numbers. Does that worry me? Nope! It's just time to kick PHP-Nuke in the tail; that's all...

The popularity of Free and Open Source CMS tools is in an upward trend, and PHP-Nuke is still doing fine. IMHO, this small decline is simply due to more high-quality alternatives being available these days, along with control panels (at mass web hosts) that make these alternatives a one-button install. Support is another matter. PHP-Nuke still has them all trumped, in spades!

Let's list the Top-10 players: phpBB, Plone, TikiWiki, WordPress, Xoops, Mambo, PHP-Nuke, PostNuke, Typo3, Xaraya.

phpBB is the 800 lb. gorilla of this group. With a daily reach of 500M users, phpBB is by far the most popular community platform. phpBB is fully integrated into PHP-Nuke, so that's something to crow about, yes? PHP-Nuke is reaching around 200-300M users, which ain't too shabby, my friends!

Who is the rising star of this group? WordPress! WordPress' growth is very aggressive. It won't take long until WordPress is MUCH more popular than Mambo, for instance. Clearly, WordPress is hot!

Having said all this, what's my plan? I'm working on an effective way to integrate WordPress into PHP-Nuke. I think it would be a PERFECT replacement for the Journal module. Yes, I know all about the WP-Nuke module. I've spent the last few days 'taking it apart', but I think there has to be a better way - an easier way to integrate WordPress into PHP-Nuke.

So, personally, that's what I've been doing the last week. Heh! I certainly haven't been getting much sleep (10 hours in the last 5 days)...

The plan is to integrate this...
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

...into this...
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

...by replacing the useless Journal module with the hottest thing going, WordPress.

Sound like a plan? That might give PHP-Nuke a needed boost!

PHP-Nuke/pbpBB/WordPress - a deadly combo, no? Dance-Y

chatserv
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:06 pm Reply with quote

Wise words djmaze, you made valid points.

Good show VinDSL, many agree it's time to get rid of the Journal module, i would also tweak the twin Downloads and Web Links modules and i might.

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:51 pm Reply with quote

Jeez Guys, I just recoded those darn things.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:29 pm Reply with quote

Okay boys and girls, I'm splitting this one off to another thread ROTFL

BobMarion
Former Admin in Good Standing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote

And here I thought we could do anything Dance-Y

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:04 pm Reply with quote

You can - you do ROTFL - It's really a good discussion and deserves a thread of its own - for posterity Wink [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

phoenix-cms
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:06 pm Reply with quote

like the idear bob, i think this could be great for nuke and improving phpbb and nsn as one, Very Happy

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:18 am Reply with quote

An updated weblinks module Chat?
Now that piques my interest!
My own thoughts/idea's regarding a new or replacement weblinks modules - or rather what I think is currently missing, would be something akin to an all singing all dancing module to present a directory type 'look'
example: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
Whilst combining several features such as;
the ability to utilise a variety of banner ads (a cut down and ported version of phpAdsNew ?)
the ability to 'link' RSS or XML feeds with the feed being 'read' when the link is clicked on
- and of course the ability (for those that want it) to have some sort of payment processing (paypal ?) for creating 'featured links' or similar

sixonetonoffun
Spouse Contemplates Divorce

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote

And still after all this time nuke and its close spinoffs offer more to users then the leading commercial solutions!

blackjack

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:46 pm Reply with quote

I agree with VinDSL about phpNuke...

I've been developing on the Nuke platform since 2001 and have created several sites (like 40 or so) based on the CMS. I've looked at the rest and always decided to stay with the original.

My problem has been that I'll get caught up in developing sites and get out of touch with the Nuke community for months at a time and then have to come back and see what's new. That's what led me here now. I'm looking to integrate Wordpress just as VinDSL is.

I create commercial sites and I'm looking for a more complete community blog solution and I I'd looked at WPNuke but didn't like the degree of integration or the lack of support for newer versions of nuke. I think they did a fine job for their own needs but I think there's probably a better way.

This brings me to something I've been wanting to do for awhile - create a master list of preferred Nuke solutions. Here's what I mean:

phpNuke 7.4+ CMS Prefered Modules/Applications

Ad Manager: phpAdsNew
Blog: Wordpress
Calendar: NuCalendar
Chat: ?
Classifieds: NukeC
Forums: phpBB (integrated)
Instant Messanger: NIM
ODP Directory: DWodp
Security: NukeSentinel
URL ModRewrite: GoogleTap
Weather: WeatherHarvest

Add to the list or give me your feedback. The ones I'm least familiar with are Nuke security applicatons. I've tried a few but they severly slowed down my sites and I'm open to suggestions - that applies to any of the above.

Lart
Client

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:32 am Reply with quote

Sorry bu I got get my 50 cents worth in here. If you guys go to this post HERE, I'm in other words talking about the same thing. But it seems that you guys only come out when either u are personnally attacked or there is some harsh remarks about how you make your living through a free endevour.

In my humble opinion, I think that all the developers should get some kind on compensation for their contribution. Let's face it, many of these guys spend hours and hours dedicating precious time for our cause which in synthese is opensource CMS. So it really does'nt matter how they go about to achieve the goals of their existency.

As with that 45 cents in Very Happy , here goes my original suggetion calling to STABILIZE at least one version and then go from there. If the upcoming versions released by FB are not compatible, BOYCOT IT to not reach the market. This should be organized by a group of developers that would filter all these recent version same as as the paralell developments(Pseudo Distros).

What I think this will do is cut a lot of the trouble thats is going around today. And long live Nuke....

That's all folk's

JLart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quote

Lart wrote:
If the upcoming versions released by FB are not compatible, BOYCOT IT to not reach the market.

Many newcomers building their first websites would probably use Fantastico or similar to instal php-nuke so unless there is something better to offer them, boycotting is a bit of a none starter Sad

Lart

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Many newcomers building their first websites would probably use Fantastico or similar to instal php-nuke so unless there is something better to offer them, boycotting is a bit of a none starter

I can understand your point, then again most of them newcomers would end up in a support site like this one and that's where the contra propagand would work. Would be only a matter of time for the boycot to really work.

Like so many pseudo distros would'nt be easy to built a more secure and stable unique version until things get settle??? and why not make this version proliferate through fantastico also???

These are only small questions that haunts my mind Smile .

JLart

Themis
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote

I don't know how many sites I have visited in the last couple of weeks, and the reputable ones always suggest sticking with 7.6/3.1 and not using the newer versions.

For me, I always come to Raven't first and study up on what is going on and what he, Chat, 64bit, and all the rest of the guys I trust have to say. But many people don't know about these places yet, when they are first installing. They think newer is better.

I have no clue what I would have gotten if I had done the fantastico install for nuke.......Of course I have Raven for a host Smile That took care of that right there.

Sadly Lart, although you have the right idea, it would be pretty much impossible to do. These people are here because they enjoy helping others, so no matter what, they will do that. You should petition the one that keeps releasing new unsecured versions all the time.

Steptoe
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:26 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Sadly Lart, although you have the right idea,

Wrong, in all the yrs I have been around on the net, not once have I seen a boycot work, and even then those who suggest never put their money where there mouth is an organise.
Its easy to go on about boycotts, piont fingers here and there, and just going perpetual circles until....
All negitive stuff.
What it needs is the top guys get together, talk, and take things from scratch, setup an overall devalopement team, listen to the customers, BEFORE releasing new versions.
There maybe other +ve suggestions, thu I cant remeber seeing them.
Till then the repeated threads of this nature just have things going in circles perpetuating the short comings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:45 pm Reply with quote

StepToe wrote:
What it needs is the top guys get together, talk, and take things from scratch, setup an overall devalopement team, listen to the customers, BEFORE releasing new versions.

<SoapBox>
Where is our financial support incentive? All this comes at a great cost in time, effort, expense, etc. The community as a whole takes and takes and demands and takes, without giving in return. We have some very faithful and appreciative people who frequent our sites and donate regularly. I'm not talking about them nor am I talking about those that can't donate. However, I can name some people that are heavy takers from several sites and have never donated anything and then get miffed if someone doesn't respond right away. They send PMs and IMs and emails to let us know that they have an unanswered post. For some of us this is our only or main source of income. If people would just drop $5 or $10 a month, regularly, I would have all the financial incentive I need. I have been requesting $400/month for several months and have barely made $200 at best. I'm running in the red every month and falling farther and farther behind. Eventually when it becomes too much, we sell out if we're lucky. Okay, I'm done.
</SoapBox>

Steptoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote

What is and what should be is a fact of life...its been like that for 1000s of yrs and will be for the next 1000s of yrs. Some one can change many, its just the way it is.
I see the same thing as Sec of a hot rod club, Sec of PTAs, School Boards of Trustees and many other social organisations over the last 25/30 yrs. There will always be "takers" not prepared to put anything back where they can and a hard core with a vision who just get on with the job.
At the end of the day what do u want to leave behind? have ppl stand over your grave, If they attend at all, and say "he was a user and he died that way" or "hey he was a good guy, if u needed a bit of help he would be there, but often a grumpy old bugga lol" then raise their glasses in a toast.
And money and well I'm fortunate enough to live in a society where that is still well down the list of proieties...Still...
Its ppl that matter, not the pictures of ppl on rectangular bits of paper, and how many of them one can collect.
Same goes for our site, its about endangered species, and preserving for generations to come. The site, aviaries, up keep, birds run into 10,000s of dollars, sure I could make something out of it, not enough to even pay for less than 10%...thats reality...but I'm doing something I believe in, I enjoy, and politically intend to change the way the Government bungles the administration and wasting tax payers money..both ours and yours.
One day I may sell up to, thats reality, and never recover the money. I accepted that before even starting yrs ago. In the mean time, I am GOING TO make a difference...just like u coders and support do.
The main difference is without u guys giving me the means I wouldn't be able to afford to have such a powerful tool to use...and I haven't even started to use it to its full potential yet. That I am very grateful for on behalf of future generations.
Look beyond the takers, the ppl making money off your talents, see the little ppl and where u do make a difference, those sites that raise red cross/crescent money, lost kids, social issues, little league clubs....
I'm not trying to justify the takers, in my books, if the Nuke coders, got together and sold the code and kept it free to non profit ppl..that would be fine by me.
So get together, sort the problems between each other out, sort the code out,sort the takers out, make the takers pay, (sue them)get organised and coordinated. Thats the answer to all the grizzles I read around the place.
IF u major players POOLED resources, hosting, coding, talents, services I am sure there would be a new player on Wall St. THAT IS your potential. That is your choice if u want it.
Open source, by nature, has the inherent and legit draw backs for u guys that are a pain in the butt...that is reality, be it nuke, gaming, whatever.

phoenix-cms

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote

raven didnt know it was that bad i be happy to help you just let me know i make you another donation in 2 weeks so i give you what i can dont want to see youe site go Sad

evaders99
Former Moderator in Good Standing

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote

Raven, I'm wondering how much it costs you to maintain all this. So far, I've not gotten anywhere near the $400 a month for server costs. This is on my 1 TB bandwidth/month dedicated server. If there's any way I could help with hosting, tell me. I'd be happy to.

I believe $ is a main incentive. Because I don't really have the time to do so much for people. Time itself is worth $. So I try to "help people help themselves", as it were. And make the most efficient use of my time, especially when it comes to patching code.

Need help? Nuke Patched Core, Coding Services, Webmaster Services 
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote

I never said that was only for server costs - that's an assumption. It's but a portion of the total time and effort devoted as well as server costs as well as ISP, etc. Divide $400 by the amount of hours spent "help people help themselves" and the hourly earnings are laughable. This is now my sole source of income. And as such, it is all overhead. Regardless, it's the principle. People do not want to support good help/sites. They believe it should be free. Why? Because phpnuke is free.

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:38 am Reply with quote

phoenix-cms wrote:
raven didnt know it was that bad i be happy to help you just let me know i make you another donation in 2 weeks so i give you what i can dont want to see youe site go Sad

Thanks, but don't worry - I'm not planning to go anywhere. That statement was meant more as a logical and inevitable only solution/conclusion to a service that constantly is a drain on resources and money. I was speaking more in general terms of why sites disappear. Up until when I lost my job I would try each month to rotate amongst several sites and people to personally donate money to them. I don't look at like minded sites and people as competiton as some sites do. I and my sites will make it on their own merit.

djmaze
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote

Mostly when people say "help me asap" or "you must" i ask them: why don't you do it yourself?
A response is 99% of the time "ï can't" or "i don't understand how to" then the next question: so why should I do it for free ? and point them to the license.

many licenses wrote:

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES.

So how can you demand features/help on something that is "AS IS" ?
FB seems to take this part very seriously and that's why other websites popped up like nukecops and raven's. Although they offer some support it doesn't imply you will always get it.

ToolBox
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quote

After reading from the first one to Raven's & djmaze, I found myself smiling. Just let us try to be generous to nukers who are not likely to be patient. I believe they love phpnuke community as well. I believe the reason why they are saying like that is they like nuke community as well.

Themis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:35 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

<SoapBox>
Where is our financial support incentive? All this comes at a great cost in time, effort, expense, etc. The community as a whole takes and takes and demands and takes, without giving in return. We have some very faithful and appreciative people who frequent our sites and donate regularly. I'm not talking about them nor am I talking about those that can't donate. However, I can name some people that are heavy takers from several sites and have never donated anything and then get miffed if someone doesn't respond right away. They send PMs and IMs and emails to let us know that they have an unanswered post. For some of us this is our only or main source of income. If people would just drop $5 or $10 a month, regularly, I would have all the financial incentive I need. I have been requesting $400/month for several months and have barely made $200 at best. I'm running in the red every month and falling farther and farther behind. Eventually when it becomes too much, we sell out if we're lucky. Okay, I'm done.
</SoapBox>

I think this is a very important point. There are many that think they have something coming to them without doing anything to bring the circle about. They are the ones that can't be bothered to show respect for those helping them out by only starting one thread- not six, by not researching, and by otherwise putting themselves in front of all others.

I would hate to ever see this community completely closed to those that Can't afford to pay, because of those that take advantage of all the great people that help us out. Tis not that much to give up a trip to MickyD's, or a six pack of beer or whatever once in awhile to help out. Or for someone like me, I tend to give a chunk at a time when I have it.

All forms of appreciation can make life better for Raven, Chat and all the others that do what they do so well here. A simple thank you, donations, helping others out with what we learn, donations, contracting their services if you can.

Hopefully that will help to bring about all these great things we would like to see in a nice secure nuke application. As it is now, I have to listen to people putting me down for using nuke, because of it's reputation, not that they want to do the work for our guild or whatever. I know that I do everything I can to research and follow the recommendations of these sites, because I am not a programmer and never will be. But I can say that I am somewhat knowledgeable about security issues, and stable versions, and all that.

Raven has helped me out more times than I can count. When I decided to start up a new site and let the old one go, instead of staying with my old server, I decided to bring my business to Raven. Not because of any issues with my old provider, but because of the help I've received along the way here. And I haven't been sorry at all. Now I get to feel slightly less guilty for asking dumb blond questions. ROTFL

I may not always get what I want immediatly but I feel I get the best there is. I do and would be happy to show my support, to see nuke become what it can be. When I was bartending, I saw the same dollar bill go around and around our town. That silly dollar tip made all of us feel that our service meant something and it was nice to pass it along. and as the old saying goes.......Tipping is not a city in China.....or a greased wheel doesn't squeek or............ Cheers

Now to figure out gallery2 install..........be calling on you soon Raven worship Dance-Stick

Last edited by Themis on Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:43 pm Reply with quote

Smile - Thanks! As to G2, it should go in without a hitch. Reference [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] for some path information that you might need Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic