Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke
ThePiston
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:22 am Reply with quote

Ok, I have been making this site for a long time now... tweaking here and there etc. At first I was only putting benign info in the "Content" pages for anoymouse visitors. I started putting private info on them too and other sensitive info on them (without thinking) and I have put a lot of work into it. I just realized that I can't tell nuke which ones to show only to registered users.... does anyone know how I can fix this problem?? I've got some sensitive stuff on this page. Can I create a "Content2" and make it registered only or something? How about a hack to create privelages for Content's Categories?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:05 am Reply with quote

There are a couple of options. You could:
    * Develop a fancy way to define access at the content page level.
    * Develop a way to show only certain categories of content to users or members of a group (assuming you use NSN Groups).
    * Develop a separate content module - with different tables - and make that module only available to members of a group.
    * Put the sensitive content into a private / hidden forum that only certain users or users in certain groups could see.
There are probably other ways, too, but this should give you some things to consider.

ThePiston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:29 am Reply with quote

yeah, those all require a lot more grasp of the language than I have. I wish there was an easy way to give privelages to Content Categories instead of all-or-nothing that is is now.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:42 am Reply with quote

Why not store the sensitive content in a private forum? That shouldn't require any code changes.

ThePiston

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote

because I want the pages to look cohesive and not change around like that. I'm dealing with guys who are not computer geeks.... odler gentlemen who do not use computers too often.

Steptoe
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm dealing with guys who are not computer geeks.... odler gentlemen who do not use computers too often.

I had the same problem....members accessing hidden members section and staff accessing admin sections.
These did not show up in the scrolling forum block which from logs I was able to establish they used, by passing the forum index.
I bumbled thru made a custom user info out of others user info. When a user is logged in, just under the log out button, with the PM link, I put a link to posts since last visited, that appears only when logged in. this shows all posts since last visit that they have permissin to veiw.
From the logs I now see that this link is now commonly used.
Unfortunately my code is rather messy, (althu works)as I do not realy know what Im doing. therefore it would be irresponsable to release the user info in its current condition. It needs a coder to clean up and them to release.

The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:50 pm Reply with quote

NSN Groups.

Xiode
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Here you go man.. Here is "Content2"... All I did was change the SQL so that it looks for a different second DB... It is the exact same module just # 2... No that wasn't a restroom joke Razz.

It is based off 7.6.3.1....

All you have to do is upload the contents of the "html" folder...

Then go into phpmyadmin and run the sql querry....

I take no credit for this, use at your own risk blah blah.... So on... You know man. If you don't you should.
[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:52 am Reply with quote

wow, thanks. I'll let you know how it goes.

Xiode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:06 pm Reply with quote

did everything work out for you?

montego
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:08 am Reply with quote

64bitguy wrote:
NSN Groups.

On that "note", it might be another good "After-Patched" value-add to include more core group "awareness" within certain core nuke modules similar, I think, to NSN News to attach groups to specific articles?

ThePiston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:06 am Reply with quote

worked very well, thank you. Now, how do I go about moving the private Content from old "nuke_pages" to "nuke_pages2"? What's the SQL code so I can do it in the DB and not by hand.

ThePiston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote

nm, exported and just changed one number and then inserted into new pages... THANKS!

ThePiston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quote

oops, spoke too soon... The links to the content pages in "Content2" have "name=Content" in them, how do I change that so it says "name=Content2"?

montego

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:01 pm Reply with quote

ThePiston wrote:
oops, spoke too soon... The links to the content pages in "Content2" have "name=Content" in them, how do I change that so it says "name=Content2"?

Since you already have the export/import process down pat, if you still have the file that you imported, I would change all references of "Content" to "Content2", truncate the table, and then re-import. However, if you no longer have the import file, I would export the table to file first, then change the data, truncate the table, and then re-import.

Regards,
montego

ThePiston

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote

yep, I exported all the tables and then replaced "pages" with pages2" and insterted. My problem now is that when I admin "Content2" pages, they all have links to "Content". How can I change that?

montego

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:43 am Reply with quote

ThePiston wrote:
yep, I exported all the tables and then replaced "pages" with pages2" and insterted. My problem now is that when I admin "Content2" pages, they all have links to "Content". How can I change that?

Depending upon your version of nuke (which you should always provide by the way in your up-front posts), you need to find the appropriate admin case.php and link.php for your new "Content2" module. You have to also make the case statements unique, such as changing "content" to "content2" and "content_edit" to "content_edit2", etc... You have to match those changes in your Content2 index.php as well.

Also in the Content2's admin index.php and possibly other scripts you need to look for the hardcoding of the url to "content" to be "content2". It looks like FB wasn't consistent in his use of the variable "$module_name" in the admin scripts.

Lastly, you need to change the admin's link.php script to also use "contents2" instead of "contents".

Unfortunately, cloning a module isn't as simple as copying it to another directory. If you run into any more issues, just post the details of what you are seeing and/or any error messages and we'll try and help you out.

Regards,
montego

ThePiston

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:05 am Reply with quote

got it, there was one instance in the admin/index.php file hat still had "content" and not "content2"... all aothers were fixed. DONE, thanks!

montego

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote

u r welcome.

RavensScripts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Security - PHP Nuke

View next topic
View previous topic