Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
phoenix-cms
Worker
Worker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote

well i been using nuke for sometime now and last month i decided to upgrade all my servers to 4.1.

everything went ok until i installed a fresh nuke .

it seems when you install the sql all the charactor maps are default to swedish this was not a problm for me to me a while to relise what it was

basically 60% of sysboms on the site are changed for example ?, tm, ;, ! etc are all replaced with another sysmbol either ? or > or something else

but if i add utf8 univeral charactor map to all the dbs it fixes the issue

anyidears for real fix or whats causing this or if i done this the correct way

any advise or help i be most greatfull

thanks

steve

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 10:50 am Reply with quote

I'd check the [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] website. I'm almost positive I've seen quite a bit of documentation on this.

phoenix-cms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:17 am Reply with quote

i see loads of posts with same issue but no replys, have you tried using fresh nuke raven using latest mysql thats comes with cpanel now

does this happen to you or anyone else out there with this issue

djmaze
Subject Matter Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 12:22 pm Reply with quote

Nope i've read the docs and it explains how to convert databases, tables and fields.
It even explains how to convert the table settings without converting the content.

mysql.com wrote:
From MySQL 4.1.2 on, if you want to change the table default character set and all character columns (CHAR, VARCHAR, TEXT) to a new character set, use a statement like this:

ALTER TABLE tbl_name CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET charset_name;

This is useful, for example, after upgrading from MySQL 4.0.x to 4.1.x. See Section 10.10, “Upgrading Character Sets from MySQL 4.0”.

Warning: The preceding operation converts column values between the character sets. This is not what you want if you have a column in one character set (like latin1) but the stored values actually use some other, incompatible character set (like utf8). In this case, you have to do the following for each such column:

ALTER TABLE t1 CHANGE c1 c1 BLOB;
ALTER TABLE t1 CHANGE c1 c1 TEXT CHARACTER SET utf8;

The reason this works is that there is no conversion when you convert to or from BLOB columns.

If you specify CONVERT TO CHARACTER SET binary, the CHAR, VARCHAR, and TEXT columns are converted to their corresponding binary string types (BINARY, VARBINARY, BLOB). This means that the columns no longer will have a character set and a subsequent CONVERT TO operation will not apply to them.

To change only the default character set for a table, use this statement:

ALTER TABLE tbl_name DEFAULT CHARACTER SET charset_name;

The word DEFAULT is optional. The default character set is the character set that is used if you don't specify the character set for a new column you add to a table (for example, with ALTER TABLE ... ADD column).

Warning: From MySQL 4.1.2 and up, ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT CHARACTER SET and ALTER TABLE ... CHARACTER SET are equivalent and change only the default table character set. In MySQL 4.1 releases before 4.1.2, ALTER TABLE ... DEFAULT CHARACTER SET changes the default character set, but ALTER TABLE ... CHARACTER SET (without DEFAULT) changes the default character set and also converts all columns to the new character set.

phoenix-cms

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote

thanks very much for your help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic