Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
Xiode
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:01 pm Reply with quote

I have 7.6.3.1. Whenever you go to submit a survey. You get this error at the top of the page:

Warning: Missing argument 3 for pollcollector() in /home/USERNAME/public_html/core/modules/Surveys/index.php on line 169

Before I found a post under the 7.1 forums it would give the same error but with a white page.

If you hit results in IE it just hangs. In FF 1.5 it gives "The page isn't redirecting properly"

I have searched many forums and have yet to find anything that will fix it. I have also tried reuploading the original 7.6 file and reinstalling the tables for the survey module and that did nothing.

Would there be something serverside causing this?

Line 169:
Code:
function pollCollector($pollID, $voteID, $forwarder) {

View in (half)action here: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Ok I have been messing around with it and think I got it to work but the problem with view results still occurs.

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:33 pm Reply with quote

I suspect that you edited something in there that created this problem as that is actually supposed to be on line 168 in Patched 3.1 for 7.6.

Go To: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and save that file as index.php and upload it to your server's /modules/Surverys/ directory and see if it resolves your issues.

Xiode

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:38 pm Reply with quote

nope didn't work. Does the surveys module depend on anything serverside? A setting I might have missed in my php.ini or something?

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote

I suspect that this is a theme issue.

Change to a default theme and see if it works.

Steph

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:51 pm Reply with quote

Actually, after visiting your domain, I think I know what is causing this problem.

It appears as though you are running from a sub-domain and when I click a survey results, what I get is actually a "Redirect Limit Reached" error which is usually caused by a loop in the DNS configuration of the domain.

If you are using a host that has wildcards for sub-domains, this can be a serious problem, especially if you have a redirect (which I suspect is the case).

In this scenario, you want to simply delete the wildcard in the DNS information and create your DNS sub-domain preferences manually for CNAMEs, etc...

Then you want to destroy the redirect as it is not needed.

Finally, you will need to remember that you inherit primary domain .htaccess rules so you'll need to make sure that there is nothing in there that will cause redirects or otherwise interfere with intrepretation of primary domain urls.

Hope this helps.... If I knew more about your host, I could probably help more.

Steph

Xiode

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:03 pm Reply with quote

I do appreciate you taking a look. I will look into doing this. Do you think sentinel's force url would cause this problem?

About the host. I got tired of ppls "99.9% Uptime Guarantee" that is usually 49.9% if you lucky and got my own dedicated. Me and a good friend are currently running the server. I will look more into the subdomains too.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote

If it is your server, then simply check your DNS setup for wildcard handling of sub-domains. If you use them, don't. Hard code the values of mail, ftp, http, etc... into the DNS. I can give you examples if you need them as I use extensive sub-domains myself.

Next, make sure you don't have any forwarders or redirects for the sub-domain. If you do, delete them as you don't need them with hard coded DNS (in fact, you usually don't need them even with wildcard DNS as sub-domains are inherited).

Finally, check your root .htaccess and make sure there are no sub-domain instructions in there. Again, you don't need them.

Based on these errors, I would definately say there is a redirect loop in there. Now it is just a matter of getting rid of it.

Steph

Xiode

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:27 pm Reply with quote

I have checked everythign else and it seems to be just fine. For everything That I know the zone templates everything there should be fine. I do want to see what you have done with the hard coding.

Xiode

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quote

Well I setup a new 7.6.3.1 on my localhost and I come up with the same problem. Well when using the urls [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] and [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] What I am going to do in the morning is I have a spare domain that I am not doing anything with atm I am going to setup nuke on it and see if I come up with the same problems. Process of elimination.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote

Normally, your DNS would look something like this:

Assumptions:
Primary domain name is: www.joes.com
Primary domain name servers are: ns1.joes.com and ns2.joes.com
Primary domain email server is: mail.joes.com
Primary domain IP Address is: 255.255.255.255

Based on that, your DNS configuration would usually have the following entries for the primary domain:

There are 6 fields:
value 14400 IN type [A, MX, CNAME, etc.] value value
In this example, we will ignore the 14400 field completely (it will always be blank) and just provide the rest.
Where you only see data in 4 fields, the last field is empty:

In this case, your DNS would look like this:
Code:
@           IN  NS  ns1.joes.com

@           IN  NS  ns2.joes.com
@           IN  MX  10                  joes.com.
@           IN  A   255.255.255.255
www         IN  A   255.255.255.255
ftp         IN  A   255.255.255.255
mail        IN  A   255.255.255.255

Please notice the period at the end of the one entry that uses the last field. That is very important!

Now... next, a lot of people configure the last entry with an * in the first field (wildcard for sub-domains). This can be really problematic for a large number of reasons that I won't go into here. Anyway, simply delete that and manually add sub-domain characterists so that it looks like this:
Assumptions:
Sub-domains are: sub1 and sub2
Code:
@           IN  NS  ns1.joes.com

@           IN  NS  ns2.joes.com
@           IN  MX  10                  joes.com.
@           IN  A   255.255.255.255
www         IN  A   255.255.255.255
ftp         IN  A   255.255.255.255
mail        IN  A   255.255.255.255
sub1        IN  MX  10                  mail.sub1.joes.com.
sub1        IN  A   255.255.255.255 [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]      IN  A   255.255.255.255 [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]     IN  A   255.255.255.255
mail.sub1   IN  A   255.255.255.255
sub2        IN  MX  10                  mail.sub2.joes.com.
sub2        IN  A   255.255.255.255 [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]      IN  A   255.255.255.255 [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]     IN  A   255.255.255.255
mail.sub2   IN  A   255.255.255.255

That's it. Instant DNS for those two sub-domains. No other sub-domain definitions or redirections should exist.

Hope this helps!
Steph

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote

If that is the case, I would start by enabling error reporting to see what is going on.

As I said, this appears to be a redirect issue to me, and as someone running 7.6.3.1 in several test domains, I cannot replicate the problem you are having; however, I can replicate the redirect issue in situations that inappropriately have sub-domain redirections enabled as well as in situations where wildcards are used for DNS in sub-domains.

Start by editing your config.php and change:
Code:
$display_errors = false;

to:
Code:
$display_errors = true;

Then replicate the situation and check your error_log for errors.

Also, while you are there, ensure that there are NO blank lines at the end of your config.php after the
Code:
?>

Steph

Xiode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote

already set at true and there is nothing after ?>

Xiode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote

my subdomains are setup like that other than there isn't ftp and mail setup for them. If I create the subdomain thro WHM it will set everything up like that but in this case I just set it up thro cpanel.

Now there is one diff. Where you have a 10 I have a 0

xiodestudios.com. IN MX 0 xiodestudios.com.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:22 am Reply with quote

You don't necessarily need to setup FTP and MAIL servers for them, but you can if you want.

The normal priority for MX is 10.

Just a heads-up.

Steph

Xiode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:27 am Reply with quote

I think what I am going to do is get rid of the packs that I have and redownload new ones. Just to make sure What I have is pure. BTW when will 7.6AP be finished. I won't use anything other than 7.6 Smile

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:38 am Reply with quote

It's probably going to be around October 1 - 15th, but it will only be going out to "Commercial Client" subscribers at first until I figure out how I am going to manage distribution. I suspect others will be getting access around the first or second weeks of November for AP7.6.3.1.1 and AP7.8.3.1.1

We are really working hard on theme development at this point (HTML 4.01 Strict and XHTML) so as we do that, Nuke evolution is being done in parallel. The 7.8.3.1.1 solution is all but finished HTML 4.01 Transitional wise, I still need to recode that stupid first page of the Statistics module though.

I also need to recode all of the modules with textareas because tonight I finally figured out where FB went totally wrong in implementing the TinyMCE editor.

I was planning on releasing this as HTML 4.01 Transitional Compliant (A giant leap forward for Nuke) but at this point, we are also getting very close to Strict compliance so we might I might even get to the point of skipping that Transitional step. I'll decide that in the next couple of weeks for sure.

I've made major advances in this regard in the past 4 - 5 days in evolving the 7.8 development code, but I will need to go back and replicate all of this work on the AP7.6.3.1.1 code.

I'm also working hard on other things for about 10 other people, as well as doing support here, so well... that impacts how much I can get done too.

Smile

Steph

Xiode

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:45 am Reply with quote

Well I am good for traditional. I will be starting a new job Monday so my time factor will start to slow. If you need an extra hand onboard let me know I will PM you an example of the theme I have up now just to show what I am capable of. I myself am going to get rid of using marquee period. that Way all I have to do is make the flash navs compliant. YES! for everyone else flash, has to be modified to be compliant too!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic