Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
Steptoe
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:21 pm Reply with quote

The link in news items associated with /images/topics/phpnuke.gif
how does one remove the link /article-topic-1.html
but keep the /images/topics/phpnuke.gif

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:08 pm Reply with quote

I'm not sure why you would want to remove the Topics module functionality.

Essentially all that link does is lead you to a list of news posts for that particular topic (any topic) in question.

That link exists in a number of places (storyhome, storypage, etc...) What pages are you trying to remove it from?

Also, you would not be able to remove this feature for just one topic, if you take it out, it would affect that ability for all topics.

If you want to proceed, we need to know what version of Nuke are you running and what revision (meaning like "Patched 3.1) are we talking about and finally, what is the name of your "Theme"? Finally, specifically what pages do you want this feature removed from?

Providing that information will help us provide you with exact instructions.

Steph

Steptoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:53 pm Reply with quote

Our site is a small niche subject of 1 endangered parrot. [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]
As there are not many of them we dont get a lot of news items lol
Also there are not to many breeders/pet owners around the world
We only have or need the 1 topic classification for everything.
Essentually everything is covered on the front page and old articles block.
Of those most are links to newspaper/NZ Government sites, that also are often duplicated in the web links section.
Then there is the Topic search in our Quick links block along with forum search, google and translater.
Im going to figure out how to put "All Stories" link into the old articules block (when I need to in a yr or so time) and if need be I can make "Stories Archive" visible in the modules block.
With that I am pretty sure I have all the bases covered.

I want to remove the links from the front index page in the news items, leaving the Pic of the little Kakariki (phpnuke,gif) any others Im not worried about
Nuke 7.5 on a custom deep blue theme...just a few colour codes changed and orginal pics changed keeping the original file names.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:01 pm Reply with quote

Open /themes/DeepBlue/theme.php

Find TWO instances of:
Code:
<a href=\"modules.php?name=News&amp;new_topic=$topic\">

Delete them.

That will leave the Icon and Kill the Link.

Note: Mine is compliant so yours MAY looks like this instead:
Code:
<a href=\"modules.php?name=News&new_topic=$topic\">

Steptoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote

I have 2 lines similar with these, that I deleted
Code:

and
Code:

instead of this
Code:
<a href=\"modules.php?name=News&amp;new_topic=$topic\">

And it all works like I describe above
Cheers
appreciated
Another reason is reducing the # of urls also makes it more search engine friendly

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:14 pm Reply with quote

I know what you were saying above... that's a problem that Raven has with his quote function and it is affecting my link as well as yours. You meant to say that you had it, but without the amp; in the link, which is what I actually posted above:)

Steptoe wrote:
Another reason is reducing the # of urls also makes it more search engine friendly

Actually, that's simply not the case. It does not matter how many links you have, if they are properly formatted and lead to indexable information, they get indexed by search engines.

Steph

Steptoe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:19 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Actually, that's simply not the case. It does not matter how many links you have, if they are properly formatted and lead to indexable information, they get indexed by search engines.

I didnt explain vey well as its more a side issue.
Quote:

Having many links going to the same page and the search engine indexes the same page several times then sees all these 'duplicate' pages is not good.
I have over the last few months been playing/ reading SEO stuff...metas tags, google sitemap, robots.txt , alt tags, word frequency to levels of even what 'engines consider spam. At the moment Im playing with urls and dupicate indexed pages....this also coensides with the requirements for our site members needs.
Unlike most cases where the admin is trying to get 'up there' we are up there...top 5 of all major and most minor 'engines.
I therefore reason (right or wrong) that any changes/effects are far more easlier monitored....I have on several occassions knocked our site from page 1 to as far as 17, even 23, and once couldnt even find it for a few days lol

At the end of it all I will make a compete how to SEO your nuke site in lay persons terms..like my email smtp server set up that many have found useful...dont be in a hurry for it..often it takes many days before a change is seen on search engines and I have to drop our rating 1st.

Stuff found so far, I have discovered..
Many say meta tags are now longer very important..they ARE.
Re writes/GT is important, but search engines seemed to be far more tollerant than 9 months ago.
Dynamic meta tags are just as important as rewrites/GT
One doesnt need to regist at search engines, and can get listed within couple days very simply by a couple carefully choosen link exchanges
There should be more emphisis put on robots.txt editing
Google site map editing, like robots.txt is very important..both go closely hand in hand.

I cant code myself out of a paper bag ...a wet one at that lol
I really do appreciate u guys giving me these snipets of code and answereing what often seems to be piontless questions/changes to make the changes and try stuff.
Cheers
Steps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic