Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's
izone
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote

I'm using Link To Us module from codewise and have a problem with tiny_mce editor showing in link to us block. Look at the block picture here:

I've disabled the editor for this module but How can I disable it for the block using textarea code?

Thanks.

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:59 am Reply with quote

I think the quickest solution would be to see if they have a pre 7.7 version and use the block from that.

izone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:32 am Reply with quote

Guardian2003, thanks but if you mean codwise, no they don't have it.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:46 am Reply with quote

Could you post a link to the block code as a text file?
Someone is bound to ask and I would like to take a look out of interest.

izone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:09 am Reply with quote

Here You can see the text file.

Thanks for your help.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:54 pm Reply with quote

This is one of the many problems with 7.7 and 7.8. The implementation of TinyMCE in version 7.7 and 7.8 involved removing security checking for bad HTML (see posts here) and the automatic replacement of textarea fields (which the block uses) with the WYSIWYG editor. If you don't want to move back to a more secure Nuke version (e.g. 7.6), you can change the TEXTAREA html to just display the content between the textarea tags, and that should remove the TinyMCE editor stuff.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:03 am Reply with quote

Or you could use the LinkMe module here [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] which seems it might do the same thing.

izone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:40 am Reply with quote

Thank you both for helping me.

kguske, I would love to change back to 7.6 but have I reupload 7.6 file too?

I ask this because I have installed some extra modules which need editing som of Nuke files again. I don't want to do this again.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:59 am Reply with quote

Bob Marion created a downgrade script that many have used. This changes the standard tables back to their 7.6 form, but shouldn't affect any addon modules you have added. You can get that at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Unless you get a patched version of 7.6 with the modules you added already included, you'll need to modify the files again. A file comparison tool like Beyond Compare or WinMerge can greatly simplify this.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:26 am Reply with quote

As a persoanl comment, I think you will find downgrading to version 7.6 is worthwhile in the long run.

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:54 pm Reply with quote

The problem with 7.7 or 7.8 is that even if you remove the TinyMCE editor, you are still left with the fact that the in-module HTML validation and security validation has been removed. This makes running 7.7 and/or 7.8 not worth while regardless if you are using the an HTML editor or not.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:08 pm Reply with quote

Agreed. I leveraged some earlier work done by Sixonetonoffun to allow a (better) WYSIWYG editor (FCKeditor) with even better HTML validation than what's in 7.6 (yes, I know it wouldn't be difficult to do that, and it wasn't thanks to Six).

The approach I took allow different functions for admins and non-admins. Although it's fairly easy to implement, I hope to make it even easier. Unlike the approach used in 7.7 and 7.8 with TinyMCE, this approach doesn't automatically replace all textareas with a WYSIWYG editor.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:16 pm Reply with quote

Using 7.6 as a baseline and creating a new definition (instead of textarea, let's say "textareaeditor") for the function is truly the best scenario.

This way you can add the function if you want to any block or module simply by modifying the call and still leave the security validation in place.

Additionally, you can write the wrappers for the function (or use premade wrappers) as many have done for FCKeditor.

It allows you to both achieve W3C Presentation compliance (if you validate for that functionality) while also operating in the restrictions of a Nuke Security model.

I have also seen this done by using the default and simply applying a switch. That too will work and will save you some in module coding regarding security filtering for the new definition.

Though again, in 7.7/7.8 all of that is moot as the filtering and validation simply no longer exists.

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:55 am Reply with quote

Thanks, Steph. What did you mean by "if you validate for that functionality" (W3C presentation compliance)? The editor itself should create compliant HTML, but as long as we have access to the "Source" button (i.e. direct HTML editing without the WYSIWYG editor) that can be overwritten. Aside from using something like Tidy, is there another way to validate for compliance dynamically?

izone

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:24 am Reply with quote

Sorry to interrupting you here! I really enjoy this discussion, but because I have a new installation of 7.8 with all the above and other problem I decided to remove everythings and reinstall 7.6 instedt. A question here is do You know where I could get a 7.6 with latest patch and a GOOD EDITOR installed???

Thanks

kguske

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:57 am Reply with quote

Wise decision on installing 7.6. It's not that TinyMCE is a bad WYSIWYG editor - it was just poorly implemented. That said, there are some implementations for Nuke of the Spaw editor and FCKeditor that don't remove security, but also aren't as fully implemented.

Your best bet is to add one of these to a patched version of 7.6. Some distributions add both, which seems like unnecessary bloat to me (for that matter, a lot of the loaded distros are overloaded IMHO).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's

View next topic
View previous topic