Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x
tangoman
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:30 am Reply with quote

(Kevin),

Now the two final major tasks of my website install.

The second issue is the subscriber payment system, which I will deal with later and is not essential in getting the website live in 5 or so hours.

The most important thing for now is making sure the security on the website is tight and that includes Sentinel installation, which I now have to do.

To confirm, subsequent to yesterdays problems with other issues etc, I am now at a point of having taken the Sentinel files I had uploaded, off the server.

So consider that I have 7.6 installed with patch 3.0 and the additional CBN AP installed too.

I have downloaded Sentinel, unzipped the files and they are now all on the local drive.

Remember that my server does not allow me to post .htaccess files on it, (or any file with a name beginning with a period).

Should I firstly upload the directories and files contained in the html folder to their respective directories on the sever? These files include:

abuse
admin
blocks
images
import
includes
language
modules
nsnst_installer

...If so I will replace all files that are existing on the server with the same name of any in the Sentinel batch of files and upload any new files accordingly....Is that all correct?

What about the files in the Sentinel download 'Edits_For_Core_Files' directory?

Finally, do I also uploaded the file nsnst.php to the route too and then run it once all the other files are installed?

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:18 am Reply with quote

First, you should not need to replace any files that are in the HTML folder from the NukeSentinel installation / download. Yes, you should go ahead and upload those.

In order for NukeSentinel to work correctly after installing those files, you'll need to make the changes described in the installation using the Edits_For_Core_Files directory files.

Yes, you should also upload the nsnst.php file to the root directory and run it. It basically creates the database tables, so you should run it before updating the files in the Edits_For_Core_Files directory.

All this should be detailed both in the installation instructions and the manual.

Last edited by kguske on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total 
Manuel
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:29 am Reply with quote

RTM

remove all old files and upload new, if asked to replace reply 'yes'

edits 4 core files is an example to how mod. mainfile.php and other files to make sentinel work

you need to run nsnst.php to install db tables before you do anything else after you uploaded files

[sorry kguske, i see your msg too late XD]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Manuel,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Also, thanks again Kevin.

Kevin, you explain, 'In order for NukeSentinel to work correctly after installing those files, you'll need to make the changes described in the installation using the Edits_For_Core_Files directory files. '.

However, as often is, when I open the .txt files, they have been almost impossible to understand, but I think I have just found out why, while attempting to past you an example here.

When I pasted the text here, ready to end to you as an example, I noticed it read perfectly, which is completely contrary to when I view the text in my local editor.....YES...NOTEPAD!

For some unknown reason to me, Notepad, (which is my default .txt editor), adds many weird and wonderful special characters in the text file, making it appear almost corrupt and the layout of sentences is also erratic etc.

Iam sure you would know of such an issue, but it doesn't help the fact that rookies like I end up wasting their time prior to discovering such inherrent problems.

Aren't PC's supposed to save us time, instead of creat such unecissary additional problems?!......Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I wil now try to understand the sentinel install guides again, before asking for further assistance.

(P.S. I note that if i open the .txt files in wordpad, they are displayed perfectly...My eyes think they have gone to heaven!!!)

kguske

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote

Definitely use a REAL programming text editor - NOT Notepad or Wordpad. I suggest [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] It's great - and free.

tangoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:00 am Reply with quote

The README.txt file explains:

Uploading Files:
----------------
NukeSentinel(tm) Files in Directories: FTP Upload to:
html/abuse/*.* ----------------> root/abuse/*.* Not needed for upgrades
html/admin/*.* ----------------> root/admin/*.*
html/blocks/*.* ----------------> root/blocks/*.*
html/images/*.* ----------------> root/images/*.*
html/includes/*.* ----------------> root/includes/*.*
html/language/*.* ----------------> root/language/*.*
html/modules/*.* ----------------> root/modules/*.* Not needed for upgrades
* root = the root directory of your site.

Nothing is mentioned ab about the following 2 directories that are also in the html directory:

import

nsnst_installer

Should I upload these as well?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:33 am Reply with quote

The forum is replete with references to NOT use notepad and/or wordpad. Just do a cursory search on 'notepad' or 'editor'. For example, a recent discussion [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] .

I don't know whether or not you operate a local server and do testing on your PC before you load things to your main server, but if not, I suggest that you start trying some things on your own as opposed to posting every single question. I'm not trying to be harsh here, but many of your questions could be answered by simply trying it yourself. For instance, doesn't it seem logical that a file/folder called nsnst_installer would be needed to install files?

We encourage people to post questions! But, we also encourage people to DIYS - try it - and if it doesn't work, then ask Wink

tangoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:41 am Reply with quote

Thanks Raven.

I do question though, why, if such a directory IS needed, it is not mentioned, when the others that are also requred ARE mentioned?...

And currently I do not have the facility to run such files locally, hence I am cautios about making the wrong changes to the files on the serve, when they are working and I may screw them up with a simple mistake etc.

Once the install is complete, I will back up the server files and then I will not be so hesitant in trying to be a little 'adventurious'...Because i will be able to 'undo' the changes with the backed up files.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote

Probably because it is only required for installation / upgrade and should be removed after that.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:48 am Reply with quote

I guess I would look at it by inference. The README also says
Quote:
CHANGES.txt (do not upload, NukeSentinel(tm) Changes)
CREDITS.txt (do not upload, NukeSentinel(tm) Contributors)
FEATURES.txt (do not upload, NukeSentinel(tm) Features)
IMPORT.txt (do not upload, Notes about ip2country importing)
LICENSE.txt (do not upload, NukeSentinel(tm) License)
README.txt (do not upload, your reading it)
TEMPLATES.txt (do not upload, instructions for template files)

and then mentions what the remainder of most of the files are. The ones you mentioned were overlooked but assumed to be obvious. I guess they weren't. We will try, yet again, to make the installation instructions more clear.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:50 am Reply with quote

BTW, we have asked in the past and I'll repeat it here. If someone would like to write up a clear and concise document for installation, I, or one of the team, will be happy to work with you on it and once completed we will include it in the distribution. Any takers?

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:51 am Reply with quote

Don't do THAT Raven...then we won't be able to answer these questions repeatedly. ROTFL

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:53 am Reply with quote

Smack HitsFan boxing

tangoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:08 am Reply with quote

Thanks Guys! Embarassed

I think I am almost there now.

I have managed to read the instalation instruction files in the edits_for_core_files directory because I have now realised that Notpad was the problem and made the text read like hieroglyphics!!!

The only thing I must now question is what I should do with the directory 'includes', contained within the edits_for_core_files directory ?

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:03 am Reply with quote

As I noted in an email, the only change there is to the Javascript.php file. That ONLY affects the popup help in NukeSentinel administration. Although not changing this won't prevent NukeSentinel from working, it makes understanding how to configure it MUCH easier.

tangoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:16 am Reply with quote

Ok..So I made the changes to the Javascript.php and this had now, of course, made the help balloons work.

However I have a very small problem in as far as when the 'NukeSentinel™: Administration' page loads, an error is displaed as follows:

Line: 222
Char: 96
Error: Expected ')'
Code: 0
URL: [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I have a feeling this may be caused because I (had no alternative right now and) used Notepad to post the code.

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:20 am Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] - download it NOW. It works and it's free.

tangoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote

Yes...I will do so...Thanks again Kevin.

Bye the way, is Sentinle set by default to be 'ready to go' or do I need to make some configuration changes on the Administration section in order for it to be protecting the website?

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:27 am Reply with quote

Normally, I recommend activating HTTP Admin Authentication, but you can't do that because it requires .htaccess, which you don't have on Yahoo. Without this, your only alternative is to rename the admin.php file (feel free to do this monthly).

I do recommend that you review the settings / configuration. Make sure you have some idea what they mean.

tangoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 am Reply with quote

In time I will check all the functionality.

Bye the way...What should I do about the files that failed to upload due to 'illegal' characters:

To confirm, when installing/ftping the Sentinel files to my server, some files would not transfer.

This is because they have 'illegal' characters in their names, (i.e. commas etc).

The files are located in the 'imports' directory and are as follows:

Congo,_Democratic_Republic_Of_The.data

Congo,_People's_Republic_Of_The.data

Cote_D'ivoire.data

Korea,_South.data

Samoa,_American.data

Virgin_Islands,_American.data

Virgin_Islands,_British.data

So what should I do?

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:40 am Reply with quote

Those files are used for the IP to country lookup. This allows you to block access to entire countries, for example. You shouldn't need that right now, thus you won't need those files.

tangoman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:50 am Reply with quote

I note that the 'IP to Country' link on the 'NukeSentinel™: Administration' panel is currently inactive.

Is this correct?

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:36 am Reply with quote

Yes, because you have not loaded the data. That's an optional function that's more for convenience than security.

Raven

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quote

.htaccess is not required for HTTP Auth. It is required for CGI Auth

kguske

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote

Oops. Thanks, Raven! I doubt Yahoo uses PHP as an Apache module, though. Maybe...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> NukeSentinel(tm) v2.4.x

View next topic
View previous topic