Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help
tangoman
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:42 am Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

As a new user I am just wondering what 'to do about' the site key on my new 'version 7.6 (with patch 3.0) installation'.

I read that I should change the standard site key (SdFk*fa28367-dm56w69.3a2fDS+e9) to ANYTHING I LIKE.

But do I not have to change something else?

I mean, surely the site key is 'relative to something else'. Is the purpose of the site key not like a user 'password' in order for another part of the website or the database to communicate with the website pages etc?

Any advise is appreciated.

kguske
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:49 am Reply with quote

From the PHP-Nuke HowTo Manual, which you should find VERY useful:

You should change this key to be a unique key that identifies your site. Ideally, no two sites should have the same key.The site key is used to create the random number for the security image (Figure 3-28 ) in the Your Account module and the administration section and is an important but often overlooked security feature of PHP-Nuke. See also Section 23.4.2 for software that can help you create a truly random site key.

tangoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:58 am Reply with quote

Hi again Kevin,

Thanks for your reply to this further matter I am trying to deal with.

This latest piece of information is VERY useful!!!

tangoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote

Kevin,

After reading the info you sent about the sitekey and security etc, I am still not too sure what to change the sitekey 'value' to?

Specifically, I am not sure if I MUST use the same number of characters as the current sitekey, (which is the default setting as supplied in version 7.6 patch 3.0), or if I can choose the lenght/number of characters in the sitekey.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote

Change it to anything you want. It does not matter. I would not make it too long as I seem to remember an issue with that. Just mix the string up.

tangoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote

Thanks....I will.

I am just left still wondering what this sitekey is 'relative to though'?

I can only assume it is solely used to authenticate access from the Nuke files/website, to connect with the database...Is that it?

If I am correct, then I just wonder how the database can connect once the change has been made, (ie If I have made a change to the confic.php file but not 'told' the database itself to recognise the new passcode/sitekey)?

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:30 pm Reply with quote

It is simply used in the algorithm for the security code image.

tangoman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote

Ok....I will just take your trusted advise and change it.

I will make the string long, however in order to prevent any possible problems ariseing due to it being too long, I will limit the maximumn number of characters in the new string, to the same number in the default value.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> Post Installation Help

View next topic
View previous topic