Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
sonicman
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:28 pm Reply with quote

Hello I like phpnuke, nuke sentinel and the amazon store module. I am thinking of trying to resell domain names and web hosting. This is my question, I am not to familier with the gnu gpl, I read the terms and I am a bit confused. Ok after reading some websites I have learned that many people have tried to sell PHP scripts that are under the gnu and got in trouble The liscense states this

"When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
this service if you wish)
, that you receive source code or can get it
if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things."

"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."

I am confused if people are getting in trouble why does the license state the above. Can you are can't you sell the scripts. This is what I want to do. I want to resell domain names and web hosting from godaddy.com. I would also like to give to my customers a website they can have up and running in a short time. If they choose to install the script themselves fine, however if they decide that they would like me to install it I would like to ask for a setup fee. I would also like to target the amazon affliates buy offering them websites that display amazon products using the nuke amazon module found at [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] I would also like to offer these websites the security of nuke sentinel. I am wondering if I can legally do this, accect payment for my services and offer these nuke products, I realize these nuke items have no warrenty, the customer will need to have a copy of all scripts and a copy of the gnu, all credits and copyrights must be awarded to the original person who wrote these scripts. If I offer a warrenty or maintence fee to maintain the nuke sites can I do that too. Can someone give me some advice. If you can charge fees why are people getting in trouble for selling PHP scripts that are listed under the gnu

Thanks
Cofused In MO

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:37 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to our world ROTFL The gpl requires that if your scripts require phpNuke to run, then your scripts are gpl - period. Now, you can charge whatever you want and call it distribution and warranty. But, once I buy it and it's for phpNuke, I can modify it and sell it too. That's life Smile

sonicman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:57 pm Reply with quote

So what you are saying is that I could sell php scripts that are under the gpl, if so why are so many people getting in trouble for selling them, is there a clause somplace I am missing

Raven

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:58 pm Reply with quote

Who is getting into trouble?

sonicman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:01 am Reply with quote

Not sure who is getting in trouble I found it while searching google for info on selling the php scripts let me search again and I will post the link

sonicman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:04 am Reply with quote

Heres the link to one i found [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

and another [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

here is the last one [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

Last edited by sonicman on Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total 
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote

The first one is from 2002 - forget about it ROTFL . The second one is nothing but discussion and rambling. As the gpl states, you can charge for delivery and support. So, package it however you want.

sonicman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:14 am Reply with quote

Thanks for your help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic