Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's
izone
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:42 am Reply with quote

Hi

In a site that I am admin we have about 1400 members right now.

When we send theme a news letter it become a hard works for server and the emeil the members get is empty with only subject showing.

So I wonder if there is a way (hack???) to use to send this letter to a few members at time.

How do you mange this?

Best Regards

hitwalker
Sells PC To Pay For Divorce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:13 am Reply with quote

1400 members ok,but do they have the preferences set to receive the newletter?

Guardian2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:08 am Reply with quote

You might be better off using a hack that retrieves suernames,email address from the database and saves it as a downlodable CVS file and then using a third party software like WorldCast.
Quite a few hosting companies I have come across limit the number of emails sent within a specified time span to avoid abuse and consumption of excessive server resources.
I did have a script that retrieved this information which could be configured to limit the number of emails sent per hour etc and which effectively 'queued' the mails, sending only so many at a time.
If I can find it, I'll post back.

izone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:34 am Reply with quote

hitwalker,

Some of them does! about 40.

Guardian2003,

Thanks. I will wait for it.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:08 am Reply with quote

well if its only 40 then it should be peanuts sending a mail.
better option is to check why it goes wrong when a mail is send.

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:54 am Reply with quote

Yes, I agree, if you are only actually sending about 40 emails, you should not be experiencing any problems.
I have been unsuccessfull at finding that hack but I will try again when I get a couple of days off work when I can get the time to check some back-up DVD's I have.

Are you sening mail through PHP mail or via SMTP settings in the nuke configuration?

izone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:36 pm Reply with quote

But I don't send to only 40 members. I choose to send it to all members. Some of them get it with the text and some of them without the text and only the subject!!!

Guardian2003, Thanks man, I am using PHP mail.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote

well thats why people think they have something to say about receiving emails or not,but instead you denie their settings...

Guardian2003

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:15 pm Reply with quote

I don't know about your own country but here in the UK it is unlawful to send unsolicited emails. If someone has indicated they do not want to recieve email through their preferences then to do so makes us spammers.

We have to use a double 'opt-in' and include a link in any email sent to automatically unsubscribe the user from nesletters,mailing lists etc.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:56 am Reply with quote

Very true indeed.
i never send any mails anymore.
Why should i?
Naturaly its personal but whoever sends me unwanted mails gets submitted to spamcop.
Unfortunate i was a good believer when i just started and when i send my first mail to members i got my ass burned .
2 jokers reported it to spamcop.
after that not one mail is been send anymore.
So like i said....if members set their newsletter option to on or off,just respect that wish.

izone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote

Ok, thanks.

Here in sweden is the same law about sapmming as UK and many other places. It was my first time sending newsletter to members and I have gott a few response about not getting text in the email.

But I will listen to you as allways, and working on other members to being member of newsletter too.

Thank you both.

hitwalker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:45 am Reply with quote

well naturaly your free to do what you want,but i think you dont like it either if you get mails that you didnt opt in for..
i suggest you put out some test mails.
just ask those that receives the newsletter to be cooperative and help by giving some feedback on how they receive the mail.
Like to point out that there are numerous newsletter hacks outhere and your probably using one of them instead of the standard one.
If so it could also be a problem that some members dont or cannot receive html based mails.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> How To's

View next topic
View previous topic