Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Next Gen and Standard
jib_intelli
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:20 pm Reply with quote

Hi, I wanted to know if it is possible to include the title of the first post in the forums GTd url? Nukecops has done it as I see.

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Please provide a link that demonstrates this.

jib_intelli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote

[ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ]

I hope that gives you an idea. Smile

Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:48 pm Reply with quote

That's castlecops, not nukecops. That's why an example was needed.

sting
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Well, the answer would appear to be yes - I am wondering though, as GT-NExtGEn doesn't do it that way, if that is part of ZX's Extreme Google Tap, or whatever it is that he is calling it - [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] for more info - it would not surprise me if that was part of the update at all, its a pretty neat trick.

-sting

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Raven

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Just as with dynamic titles you can add the post title. All depends what you want.

jib_intelli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:00 pm Reply with quote

So Raven, can this be done with GT-NExtgen?

Raven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:22 am Reply with quote

Of course.

jib_intelli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:56 am Reply with quote

And how to?

perfect-games
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:28 am Reply with quote

well i have gt-nextgen that does this, i called it gt-nextgen advanced and will be ready for download in a week, well i do have it ready now just i moving my domain to another server of its own for nuke releated stuff, as soon that has finished i will send you a link with the files for you,
unless you want to code it your self your going to have to write a rewrite rule for topic title,

thanks

jib_intelli

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:07 am Reply with quote

Thanks Steve Smile

ashishjha54
Hangin' Around

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote

hi,
its more than one week now,can u tell me where can i download gt-nextgen advanced.if u have ,can you mail me.i will be very obliged.i ask this becoz i know this is a very friendly forum.
thanks.

perfect-games

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:49 pm Reply with quote

well i do have the file ready but i haveing problems with my new server as i cant seem to get overseas, and my server company is moving me to the tx central server but takes 3-4 days to have the server ready,
i wish raven did dedicated servers i would of gone with him Smile

ashishjha54

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:23 pm Reply with quote

perfect-games,
well,can u keep me in the list ,for sending the gt-nextgen advanced codes.i am really in need of the codes.i have just stopped my site from uploading just becoz i am waiting for release of expert googletap and i could not find any other knowlegeable person like Z-X.i saw that dbforumz also have this type of code and asked for there help but they are not willing to help.thanks to ravenphpscripts,i found a knowledgeable person who can give me the codes or tell me how to do it.
thanks perfect games,and,raven
i am eagerly looking forward to have the codes or u can just publish it here.
i will be obliged if u can help.

64bitguy
The Mouse Is Extension Of Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:26 am Reply with quote

I would simply advise everyone thinking about this that it 'kind of' defeats some of the purpose of GT NextGen. I would point out the following:

1) If anyone changes a subject, you are up the creek in terms of search engine 404 errors.

2) If someone curses in a title, Google could index it before you get to it and you could end up being banned by the search engines altogether. Remember, once that happens it takes an act of God to get back in.

3) If someone manages to use a forbidden tag in the title, you could simply find yourself up the creek without a paddle.

4) Having a long link property defeats the purpose of having a short one (so you can easily point people to a destination). Sure it may look pretty at first, but google finds subject and content information already so is it really necessary?

Just my two cents.

ashishjha54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote

64bitguy,
ya u pointed out the shortcomings.now here is my answers.
Code:
1) If anyone changes a subject, you are up the creek in terms of search engine 404 errors. 

for this problem we can force the rewrite rules to look for forum id in the url .i.e. forum_title_f56.html.only f56 will be taken by htaccess to send visitors to the forum 57 ,so problem 1 solved.
Code:
2) If someone curses in a title, Google could index it before you get to it and you could end up being banned by the search engines altogether. Remember, once that happens it takes an act of God to get back in. 

for this i will say that no one generally uses abusive language,it is even less tha, half percent and google does not instatntly ban the abusive titles.
Code:
3) If someone manages to use a forbidden tag in the title, you could simply find yourself up the creek without a paddle. 

for this problem i will send the titles to my custom function which strips banned tags and it is smart enough to convert tags in to words.

Code:
4) Having a long link property defeats the purpose of having a short one (so you can easily point people to a destination). Sure it may look pretty at first, but google finds subject and content information already so is it really necessary? 

i can force the titles to be of 50 words or whatever .
so these problem do not matter much.
if u know how to show tiles in url ,i will be more than obliged if u can send me the method.rest i will do.raven also said it is possible but did not send me the method.
thanks.

64bitguy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
for this problem we can force the rewrite rules to look for forum id in the url .i.e. forum_title_f56.html.only f56 will be taken by htaccess to send visitors to the forum 57 ,so problem 1 solved.

I look forward to seeing that work.

ashishjha54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote

but first send the gt next gen advanced ,and i will modify the rewrite rules.

perfect-games

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quote

will do, server be up tomorrow i put the link up here over the weekend Very Happy

ashishjha54

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote

perfect-games,
thanks,i will be waiting for ur next post.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> GT - Next Gen and Standard

View next topic
View previous topic