Ravens PHP Scripts: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff
Sfinxs
Client

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:55 pm Reply with quote

Just wondering what would happen if I delete a member from database. Will his posts still be there, will it cause any errors etc.

chatserv
Member Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:14 am Reply with quote

Not a good idea, his posts might vanish along with the threads they were posted in, if it's someone you no longer want on your site but want to keep his posts simply edit the user and change the pass and email so that they can't login or request the pass. If the posts can be spared delete them through the forum's admin section.

Steptoe
Involved
Involved

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:13 am Reply with quote

I made that mistake a while back..deleted the member from CP and the posts where no more...
So I created a test user, made a few posts, then changed the name (banned user)/ pw, and made email like [ Only registered users can see links on this board! Get registered or login! ] lol
That worked
PS may also be worth banning their ip while at it.
You can do it around the other way to, change the poster id # on their posts, then simply delete the user.

Sfinxs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:39 pm Reply with quote

I'm expecting some forum spammers soon so I don't really care if their post gets deleted. What's the best and most efficient way to defend against this. It seems banning ip takes a while to work. I test ban someone and they say they can still access the site right after. But then they couldn't anymore the next day. Why does it take that long?

Raven
Site Admin/Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote

Just a thought. If they are on-line when you ban them, make sure that you delete them from your sessions table also.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote

I made the mistakes too.Next time I never delete user or rename user, because that can produce several errors. I quess thats the mysql error for my deleted user:

error in sql-statement: mysql_query, err-no: 1054
qry: DELETE FROM nuke_users WHERE time < '84712345'
description: Unknown column 'time' in 'where clause'

And my first renamed member with the nice nickname idot, produced also errors in the block Your Account. He was online with his old nickname but his name was renamed.Also in nukesentinel with both names and he said he couldn´t read anything in the forum´when he was renamed.
Really very confused. The name idiot isn´t allowed in my forum anymore. Laughing

chatserv

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quote

Susann wrote:
error in sql-statement: mysql_query, err-no: 1054
qry: DELETE FROM nuke_users WHERE time < '84712345'
description: Unknown column 'time' in 'where clause'

That error results because it should be looking in nuke_users_temp and not in nuke_users.

Susann

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote

My DB is always up to date.Optimized and repaired but if i´m using the modified sql.php I always got this mysql error.The table"time" is in nuke_sessions and the repair status is also ok.

-----------------------

Checkpoint BK

=/\= Peace

Steptoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:47 pm Reply with quote

I have split a members post in 2, then moved the 1st half ok
the 2nd 1/2 I posted on their behalf, then in the tables changes the poster id number from me to their number...the post then showed as theirs.

So from the above if u created a new user 'Fred' then changed the poster ids of the posts u wish to keep to fred's id number, the deleted the user u want, I would imgine the use is gone and so would the posts that u dont wish to keep.

Going from the post I made previous, I havnt got any errors...I use vers 7.5.
I use the search button with the user name then just go thru the tables looking where poster id #s are change those and the names where it seems appropriate
Im not familar enough with what table does what wherewhen to go straight to it and edit
using the search fuction, search all tables, I know that I at lease get to look at everything that may or may not need to be changed.
The only prob I did have splitting once is the post in the thread list showed that the post was changed to their user name but if the thread was opened it still showed me as posting...gave up looking to fix that one lol..just ended up leaving it, time involved was important enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Ravens PHP Scripts And Web Hosting Forum Index -> General/Other Stuff

View next topic
View previous topic